• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

[map] Nukes! Strategies and bugs

diogenes

Awesome Player
Hmm...I think I'm missing something basic, though I've watched the video a couple times and have been looking at the brief for a while too. What exactly do you need to fire the nuke?

On the brief, it says (If I'm in America) you need President, target acquisition and "entire missile." I don't see where "entire missile" is on the board. Also, I'm assuming I only need EITHER the president OR premier, depending on which side I'm dominating? And is the target acquisition supposed to be on my side, or the side that I'm...targeting?

Help please!

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
diogenes, if you are the USA, then you need all 5 segments of the Titan missile, the President, and the US target acquisition which is on the west coast.

diogenes

Awesome Player
Oooohhhh. I get it now...didn't realize the rockets were map regions that needed to be attacked through the silo...oops!
I figured they were just cool animations that correspond to some other map regions.

Good to know!

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I think it'd be cool if there were some graphics/animations when the nuke gets fired. just seeing the other side turn neutral one at a time seemed sorta anticlimactic.

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
Just wondering, did you guys ever run up against a stalemate in the testing? I'm not saying I am there yet in my game, but I could definitely see how once the playfield gets divided up, good-to-perfect play on both sides could lead to continual bombardment from the spy agencies, preventing anyone from actually launching the nuke.

Potential Stalemate

I would suggest allowing each of the spy agencies the ability to also bombard one of the opposing spy agencies, so that each can attack one and be attacked by one.

Thoughts?
----------------------
Turns out my opponent got really unlucky and couldn't take out my target with a 13v2. Ouch.

As another comment, what if you launched your nuke, took out the whole map and then ran out of armies moving your way up your opponents missile. They have a set of cards for 50 armies. The way I understand it now, those armies could be deployed in the missile but would then be stuck there?

Last edited:

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I've been in some games that I thought were going to be stalemates, but weren't. It turns into something of a chess match, managing troop counts and reserves just right to throw the balance one way or the other. Being able to bombard each others' spies wouldn't really significantly change anything - you'd just drop all your troops in the neighboring region and retake the spy and start all over again. In fact, it might make the game even more boring, as you'd just wail away at each others' spies.

As another comment, what if you launched your nuke, took out the whole map and then ran out of armies moving your way up your opponents missile. They have a set of cards for 50 armies. The way I understand it now, those armies could be deployed in the missile but would then be stuck there?
Yup. Sucks to be the guy with a nuke and no country to launch it from. We call such people terrorists. :)

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
Concur with shep, even the most well-balanced game will turn eventually, whether on proper resource management (always pays to get those extra +1s) or on chance. But it can certainly be hair-raising going back and forth turn after turn.

Of course, when you do finally break through and nuke your opponent, it's so gratifying that I feel like I need a cigarette. Two things in particular I enjoy: posting some sort of war cry in game chat (tho I don't do this often, since I don't want to be that guy), and nuking american cities in inverse order to my general feeling about that city (so, yeah, Dallas first, LA last). God I love this map.

And as a general reminder, there are still slots available in two new tournaments featuring Nukes, Eschaton and Cuban Missile Crisis. I may make another tourney or two in the next couple of days if we can get these filled up, maybe a smaller one that'll fill faster.

mark

Awesome Player
How about a run through in video format? Or at least a video of someone getting all aspects of the nuke and firing it? Then we'd know what was required...this is a bit different than 'wipe the enemy off the map with your armies".

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
How about a run through in video format? Or at least a video of someone getting all aspects of the nuke and firing it? Then we'd know what was required...this is a bit different than 'wipe the enemy off the map with your armies".

rob6483

Awesome Player
Not sure if this is a bug (not that it really matters), but in game 033524, my opponenet went AWOL, so I was just screwing around and taking over everything. After I had both nukes armed and ready, the soviet nuke got 202 armies instead of 200 like the US nuke. Seems like an awfully big advantage for the soviet side...

Blondo

Awesome Player
The nuke button as a card seems a bit disadvantageous too, seeing it's reset at the end of your turn.
Ok everybody can get such a card ...

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
Not sure if this is a bug (not that it really matters), but in game 033524, my opponenet went AWOL, so I was just screwing around and taking over everything. After I had both nukes armed and ready, the soviet nuke got 202 armies instead of 200 like the US nuke. Seems like an awfully big advantage for the soviet side...

It was 202 because you had the soviet nuke as a card... I generally agree with Blondo, it'd be nice to have certain terits not show up as cards (the missiles seem rather useless as well), but that's a feature that would have to take its place in a fairly long line.

mark

Awesome Player
Orb, I watched that the night it came out. Notice that it isn't a complete run through. We don't see how to attack across maps nor how to start filling the missiles. I've just reached the point in one of my nuke games where we control opposite maps and I think I understand the instructions in the brief but I won't really know until I try it...and that could wreak my entire turn/game just because I couldn't decipher the instructions.

If a couple knowledgeable players played a game of this all the way through while one of them screen captured the entire thing that would go a long way to filling in the details of the limited brief. You've got to admit it is a different kind of board than we're used to here...and not all of us have played these games elsewhere.

Just looking out for us noobs. ;-)

rob6483

Awesome Player
It was 202 because you had the soviet nuke as a card... I generally agree with Blondo, it'd be nice to have certain terits not show up as cards (the missiles seem rather useless as well), but that's a feature that would have to take its place in a fairly long line.

Ah, I knew there was something simple I was overlooking. I love this map for 1v1. It adds a lot more strategy than just whoever happens to get the lucky rolls in the first couple rounds. I'd also agree with the idea of a full game walkthrough. I was really confused the first play through, but so was my opponent, so it worked out. Anyone playing that for the first time against someone that's played it even once would have a huge disadvantage.

Last edited:

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
Well, the map is still prey to the lucky rolls, but I'm right there with ya in loving 1v1 on this.

Maybe instead of a complete playthru video, we could have a few videos of particularly important moments: the first round or two, starting up the missile, preventing the other guy from nuking you, and how to nuke them.

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
I think a full game screencast edited down for time would be good. I'll play if someone else wants to record and edit.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Do we maybe want to include a link to the wiki page for each map on the BRIEF or INTEL tab for each map? That way it is easier for people to get help and know where to go