• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

[Idea] Italy

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Edition v2.0

OK - I started back at the non-tilted Italy, and squashed it a little vertically. It still look good IMO.

Map stats:
# Regions: 42
# Commands: 9
Special Feature: Region Occupation (Hold all city at the start of turn to win)

Map With Names:
attachment.php

Map With Bonuses:
attachment.php

Thoughts and comments?

Attachments

• Italy 2nd Draft Blank.png
    Italy 2nd Draft Blank.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Italy 2nd Draft Bonus.png
    Italy 2nd Draft Bonus.png
    188.7 KB · Views: 199

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I agree with Rj... you were able to get away with the tilt on the Philippines, but Italy is so recognizable that it doesn't work to tilt it, squash it, etc. I think that if we're going to do an Italy map - and eventually we probably will if it's the right one - it needs to be very conventional.

Eunoia

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
I really hope this gets made still.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I do like it the way it is in KFD's latest iteration. The little bit of 'squish' really isn't very noticable, IMO.

About the Region Occupation auto-victory, though. Correct me if I'm wrong, Shep/Wids, but wasn't the auto-victory bug issue what kept the MidEast map from being issued for so long?

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Yes I believe it was Cards

Eunoia

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Question on V2: What does the middle digit stand for on second map/pic? Example: Sardinia "4/3/+2". I understand that there are 4 regions to hold, and that the bonus is 2; however, I'm missing what the 3 stands for? I was thinking it was how many regions can attack the command, but then the Republic of Genoa would be 7 not 3 (and obviously others do not fit that logic as well). So my last guess is that it might be how many regions you have to "defend" to keep the command?

Eunoia

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Now that I've counted my last guess... I feel as if it must be correct. So I believe I answered my own question. : P

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Middle digit is number of borders in the command

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
indeed you are correct, wids

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
not sure if i've posted this or not, but my first map many years ago over at the conk was italy. It was one of the first maps with a capital bonus.

bKnXF.jpg

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
so Beals, Wids, Shep, all you guys were mapmakers over at conk, right?

If I may ask, why haven't you re-done some of those maps and released them here?

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
we're thinking about it. Just didn't want to launch a new site with fresh maps.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
well, I'm certainly not complaining about the maps that are here, I just thought that, as time goes on, it might be quicker and easier to occasionally re-do one of them and slip it in when you are releasing a new one. I don't want this site to be like LG, with literally hundreds of mediocre maps, but if you 'cherry picked' the best from your past, you could beef up the numbers of maps that are here.

Another question: what do you envision as the number of maps that the site should eventually have? Sixteen at present gives a reasonable choice of gameplay, but more would be better. But how many more before you think you can pause and rest and go to only the occasional release?

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Well there are a few reasons.

1) Rights - Some maps were done with other people. It can be tricky to determine who really owns what. I did a lot of revamps from CC. I could redo them again but....

2) Quality of Gameplay - Some of the maps I did were not good. They may have had good GFX but the game play suffered. No reason to make that mistake again.

3) Time - We all only have so much time to make maps (an I have had zero for a while now). We can either redo are old maps or make new ones.

4) GFX - Our old maps look good but could look better. Sort of in lien with #3, I will need to redo all my maps to make them up to snuff. Some I did years ago and I can make them look cleaner.

But I do like the idea and we have a few threads we chat in about this very topic. Dont be surprised to see a few old time classics from out stash eventually.

FYI. I am working on a remake of King of the Mountains just like Shep redid Duck and Cover.
It is a 100% GP copy of the KOTM from CC but with cleaner GFX of the same feel.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
thanks, Wids.

everything you said made sense.

about the number of maps, do you see the cartographers here just continually putting out maps, slow and steady, essentially forever?

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
about the number of maps, do you see the cartographers here just continually putting out maps, slow and steady, essentially forever?
Well not forever. lol.

But I made or was part of 19-20 maps over at CC. I think I can do that here over a few years.

But as said in another thread, we need to get teh site issues and speed fixed first so we can properly make new map with new features that are truly original and fun to play in ways you have never before.

Eunoia

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Just to note: I have no idea how you guys create your maps, exactly. But if any help is ever needed... I have a Fine Arts degree and have some experience with Digital Art as well. Though my digital art skills are limited to Photoshop and a bit of Illustrator. My drawing and painting skills obviously won't be of much help, but I figure if I can help at all... lightening someones burden, I'm sure, would be appreciated.

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
cool Eunoia - can you link to some of your work?