• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

[IDEA] Classic Game Play Philippines Map

What do you think of this map?

• Awesome! Can't wait to play it!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Great! I will love it more and more when it develops!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I am not sure.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • It doesn't fit my taste...

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I hate it with a passion!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
6th Edition

OK - right now this is the newest product.

Changes from 5th -> 6th:
- Mountains and rivers all eliminated (borders increased)
- Apayao and Kalinga borders changed (Apayao borders Isabela, Kalinga land locked)
- Bonuses changed - see details in map below

Map Blank:
attachment.php

Map Bonuses:
attachment.php

Map Names:
attachment.php

Indeed it is looking cleaner :D

Comments please. (btw for artist's interests, these images are png, which is editable with layers for each element of the map - ie links, base map, names, bonuses, map with sample troop containers and names etc.)

Attachments

• Philippines_6_blank.png
    Philippines_6_blank.png
    329.5 KB · Views: 366
  • Philippines_6_bonus.png
    Philippines_6_bonus.png
    386.9 KB · Views: 244
  • Philippines_6_names.png
    Philippines_6_names.png
    381.7 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
no comment right now, just wanted to give you props for all your hard work on this project, KFD.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
If I have time tonight I am going to drop and image that uses the water as regions to connect the islands.
Then we would need NO connections on the map.

It would also add 5 more regions because of this.
Some land regions would be designated ports and can connect through the seas.
We could also look at eliminating a few land regions by joining several to bring down the overall count back to 48-50 ish.

GFX aside, if thsi could be all fit in, would that style of GP seem more fitting to anyone.
Control the seas to move around.

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
I'm not a fan of controlling the seas, but it would work for this map. Maybe with some cool sailing ship graphics it might work.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I'm not a fan of controlling the seas...
this. I know there are a lot of sea routes on this map, but making regions out of water seems somewhat arbitrary. And would there be borders between the water regions? Meh.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
this. I know there are a lot of sea routes on this map, but making regions out of water seems somewhat arbitrary. And would there be borders between the water regions? Meh.

I agree that no silution is 100% perfect.
Either we have no sea regions (save the Pacific and South CHina Sea with ports) and have tons of sea connecitons
or
We have ZERO sea connections and make teh main bodies of water in and around teh land regions.

The highlight ability of teh MC map interface will easily be used to see what goes where.
Plus teh brief will be setup to show the different bodies of water and what the touch and connect to.

Again i am not saying this idea is teh best. Just an alternative to discuss.
And as you can see I had no tiem to work on anything last ngith (sick kids)

Maybe at lunch I can put a quick idea together.

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Personally I think I like that there are only two sea regions. I don't really like having water as controllable in terms of maps - so the links option would be better in my opinion.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Here is my idea. The water woudl have been teh only way to ove from place toplace.
It is IMO the most important part of the movemetn in the map so why not make it that way.
Below is just a quick idea.
The ports are not final and just thee to get the point across.
Plus teh land regions can be adjusted to balance out commands and overall region count as well now that I added more water regions.

1) Water connects any water it touches
2) Land with special dots (ports) border any waters it touches.
3) Land with no port on borders land it touches
4) No more connections

So what are your thoughts? Concerns? adjustments? favorite foods? etc

EDIT: Alos my water colors are just that contrastign for pointing out GP.
The breif image woudl go into detail on how this works and the main map woudl be a much softer look.
Plus we have teh MC map highlights to help out with connections as well.

Attachments

• Philippines_5_Blankjoel.jpg
    Philippines_5_Blankjoel.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 75

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
With that idea - Mindoro will have to have dots, Cebu will have to have dot, Catanduanes needs a dot, Rombolon needs a dot, Marinduque needs a dot, Calamians need a dot... and pretty much all over the map are dots... in my opinion it would be more messy than the sea routes.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
With that idea - Mindoro will have to have dots, Cebu will have to have dot, Catanduanes needs a dot, Rombolon needs a dot, Marinduque needs a dot, Calamians need a dot... and pretty much all over the map are dots... in my opinion it would be more messy than the sea routes.

I do see what you mean and I agree that there needs to be more "dots" but I never meant to say that we need to use these HUGE ugly dots.
There are many other ways to give teh info to teh user in a more pleasing fashion.

Water must have played an important rol in this region during any conflict. This GP device shows that better than teh curretn one with connections over the water.

So I am not talking about GFX right now.
If a good visual method can be used to convey the GP of teh map, is this a GP setup that might be better than the current direction?That is all I am asking.

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Indeed - very well.

I must admit I like the way you have brought up the seas as regions... quite interesting twist...

Yet I am seeing a split still within commands, where Central West Visayas would probably be very hard to take, and only held by either reforcing five seas, or six regions.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
We've seen this done at other sites with so-called Land and Sea maps, where everything is in play and you can only bounce from land to sea via a port. I don't think the idea is bad, per se, just not right for this map. Like KFD said, every island will need a port, and some of the island regions will border as many as four water regions. I don't think it simplifies the map, either in terms of play or in terms of visuals.

Imagine mousing over Visayan Sea (for example); half of the map will highlight as borders. Literally, I think it would actually be close to 50% of the physical space on the map. Same could be said for Bohol.

I'm going to keep pushing for simplifying this map, because I think the potential beauty of this project lies in its simplicity.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Sounds good guys. I am not trying to push this for any other reason that discussion.
Both of you made good points and they make sense.

Back to sea connections with 2 ocean regions and a few ports.

So KFD's 6th version is where we are now.
Is everyoen good with GP on that?
I have 1 question.

Is that white dot in the 4-corner area supposed to be a lake or what?
Is it there to eliminate 4-way corner borer?
I looked at a map and there does not seem to be any lake there, or at least not that I have seen.
Can we move a border to eliminate teh lake and teh 4-way corner?

d5661931063fbecf0b4121f42534bd37.png

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Edition 6.1

Sounds good guys. I am not trying to push this for any other reason that discussion.
Both of you made good points and they make sense.

Back to sea connections with 2 ocean regions and a few ports.

So KFD's 6th version is where we are now.
Is everyoen good with GP on that?
I have 1 question.

Is that white dot in the 4-corner area supposed to be a lake or what?
Is it there to eliminate 4-way corner borer?
I looked at a map and there does not seem to be any lake there, or at least not that I have seen.
Can we move a border to eliminate teh lake and teh 4-way corner?

d5661931063fbecf0b4121f42534bd37.png

Indeed - I had tried to eliminate the 4 way border at that point... Now that I had referred back to the original map I used to create this one, Quezon's border isn't as far north, so here is a new update to the map

CHANGE FROM 6 -> 6.1
- Quezon & Quirino border moved

Map Blank:
attachment.php

Map Bonuses:
attachment.php

Map with Names:
attachment.php

OK, any further comments?

Attachments

Philippines_6_blank.png
    330.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Philippines_6_bonus.png
    Philippines_6_bonus.png
    387.7 KB · Views: 233
  • Philippines_6_names.png
    Philippines_6_names.png
    386.3 KB · Views: 237

steelrain

Awesome Player
KFD, I'm glad to see some of the better known cities -Manila, Davao, Dagupan City, being represented with ports. However, the ports are so evenly spaced (especially on the eastern side) that they appear a little contrived. Just out of curiosity, are all the ports representing actual seaports or are they being placed in those particular locations for playability purposes?

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Just out of curiosity, are all the ports representing actual seaports or are they being placed in those particular locations for playability purposes?
I had this same concern last week... the ports on the western side of the islands (China Sea side) are realistic, but the eastern (Pacific) ports seem to just be there to add connectivity. Personally I think the map is fine with just the China Sea region and ports - it accomplishes the goal of making a way to get from end to end. But folks liked the symmetry.

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I had this same concern last week... the ports on the western side of the islands (China Sea side) are realistic, but the eastern (Pacific) ports seem to just be there to add connectivity. Personally I think the map is fine with just the China Sea region and ports - it accomplishes the goal of making a way to get from end to end. But folks liked the symmetry.

Cities_of_the_Philippines.png

This was the map I based on while making the ports on both sides. I had always thought that countries are developed more on either east or west side, and never symmetrical - and it is the same with Philippines.

But, I had made the ports in the following places so that it at least fits around or in a city.

South China Sea ports:
- Pangasinan (Dagupan)
- Laguna (Manila)
- Palawan (Puerto Princesa)
- Sibuguey Bay (Zamboanga)

Pacific Ocean ports:
- Isabela (Santiago + Cauayan)
- Camarines (Naga)
- Leyte (Tacloban + Ormoc)
- Davao (Davao)

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I've been looking around on this InterWeb thingie, and there are dozens of seaports in the country (as one would logically assume), but surprisingly no significant ports on the pacific side of the northernmost island. The most significant port (and according to some sources the only container port) on the Pacific side is Davao, which is the one KFD had originally. If we're going with pacific ports, Davao should have one. The next most significant, which is coming up in multiple sources as I search, is Legazpi. The Philippine Navy has all of three bases, and one is way up at the top of the islands in Cagayan. If we had just three Pacific ports it would probably work just as well, since one is in the extreme north, one is extreme south, and one is central (almost exactly central, actually). The central island chains don't, need ports as much anyway - the purpose of the ports and sea routes is to break up the extreme linearity of the map.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
If we're going to lose a Pacific port (a move that I'd be very much in favor of), my vote is Camarines. And to be honest, I think Laguna could go too, since it's only two terits away from Pangasinan. Or if you want to keep Laguna because of the Manila factor, then Pangasinan would be the one on the chopping block.

It seems to have been discarded, but let me say that I'm glad that you're not going with seas-as-terits. The concept has merit, but I personally loathe the concept because for some reason I have difficulty "seeing" maps like that. Like I said, personal preference, but like shep I think you're best off keeping the map simple.

Some very nice work here, KFD.

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
7th Edition

There were a few suggestions made proper on this edition.

- Sulu Sea added, with Palawan being port of South China Sea and Sulu Sea
- Ports on Pacific made to be Cagayan, Lagazpi and Davao
- Link between Marinduque and Romblon added
- 51 regions

Map Blank:
attachment.php

Map with Names:
attachment.php

Map with bonuses:
attachment.php

Attachments