• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

[IDEA] Classic Game Play Philippines Map

What do you think of this map?

• Awesome! Can't wait to play it!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Great! I will love it more and more when it develops!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I am not sure.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • It doesn't fit my taste...

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I hate it with a passion!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
3rd Edition (2nd post)

Here are the details of each Bonus.

Map:
attachment.php

The others you asked for are posted in the post before.

As far as style... what do you suggest?

Thanks
KFD

Attachments

• Philippines_draft_bonuses.png
    Philippines_draft_bonuses.png
    364 KB · Views: 257

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
stylistically there are lots of ways we could go, but I don't think that's top priority. Also, don't lose any sleep over the location of the islands and spacing out the commands - that can get sorted out later.

Somewhere I've got a bonus calculator I made years ago... I'll try and find it tomorrow.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Here is my old Map bonus Calc.
I think it is a bit different than Sheps but the more the merrier.

Also Shep, Might want to post these in the Forum for future use as well.

Attachments

• WMs_MAP_BONUS_CALC.xls
    27.5 KB · Views: 107

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Here is my old Map bonus Calc.
I think it is a bit different than Sheps but the more the merrier.

Also Shep, Might want to post these in the Forum for future use as well.

Cool thanks - I will use it to do the fourth edition of bonuses

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Bonuses update (from 3rd edition of Regions)

According to Wid's Calc, most values are quite a good value to use for the bonuses.

Here are the details of the bonuses on map:
attachment.php

Any Comments?

Thanks
KFD

Attachments

365 KB · Views: 306

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Hey KFD, I've closed (but not deleted) your poll. If you'd like a new poll with different question/answers let me know.

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Edit v3.1 - pixel clearing

Thanks Shep - I think I would leave it for now.

I have done some pixel cleaning down of the png file. There are a lot of islands which are about 1-2 pixels which I cleared out.

Below is the new product.
attachment.php

If no one objects on the bonus values, we can move on to the next part:
Now I need to make the land more "map" looking. Anyone has any suggestion what it should look like?
and with that, I will need a style as well as what the ocean color should be.

Thanks
KFD

Attachments

• Philippines_draft_blank.png
    Philippines_draft_blank.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 204

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Here are some questiosn that you can ask yourself and think about to move forward
Lots of these thing might affect placement or choices of other things later.
If you can answer most of these now it will go a long way in helpign the overall package

Overall Map
-Will there be a border - dependign on size and style it can affect other things
-Style - Political, arty, old, clean, grungy (these will help you decide how to answer some of teh questions below)

Title
-Size
-Subtitle
-Art in title - Plain text, flag, etc
-Placement -You have lots of ocean space to worjk with so the title placemetn will be OK.

Command Style
-Colors
-Borders
-impassables - Realistic, technical etc

Region Names
-Font-Make sure it is easy to read.
-Size-Make sure it is easy to read.

Troop Containers
-Size
-Shape
-Colors

FLAGG

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
I did not get to answer the poll. But if this map actually happens - I can not wait to play it!

Flagg...

steelrain

Awesome Player
KFD, you could give it a WW II theme.... There was alot of guarilla warfare between Japanese and American /Philippines troops as they fought from island to island. There were also communists, muslims and other anti-American and anti-Japanese factions in the mix as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_the_Philippines_during_World_War_II

I have liked this map from the beginning. I'm excited to see it moving forward. Keep up the great work!

Steelrain

Last edited:

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Just to be clear, the purpose of the Map Studios is to hammer out how the map will play, and settle on a thematic background for the map. As the final graphics will be handled in-house by one of our art staff we need only a general sense of what it should look like.

My biggest concern continues to be the size of the individual regions. Keep in mind that while the image will be created at 1000 pixels max. width, we want it to be fully playable at 70% of that size... that means map, text, and troop containers need to work at 70%. So while we don't need firm decisions about details like the font, thinking about troop containers and font now will help us determine how feasible this is.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Just to be clear, the purpose of the Map Studios is to hammer out how the map will play, and settle on a thematic background for the map. As the final graphics will be handled in-house by one of our art staff we need only a general sense of what it should look like.

My biggest concern continues to be the size of the individual regions. Keep in mind that while the image will be created at 1000 pixels max. width, we want it to be fully playable at 70% of that size... that means map, text, and troop containers need to work at 70%. So while we don't need firm decisions about details like the font, thinking about troop containers and font now will help us determine how feasible this is.

Sorry Shep. I was not trying to suggest that the graphics be done here but just that there can be size issues with different fonts, styles, containers and sizes.
This is a cramped map in terms of usable land per total area and as you have said there could be issues at the 70% level.

I think that some of these need to be done to prove out GP and overall package is achievable from a total space package.
So while the GP right now seems good, it will only be accepted if it can be visibly seen and understood at 70% with all the "junk" added

But I think we are on the same page.

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I have had thoughts about the size at 70% a while ago during my second draft, as Shepherd in a post had stated that having a look at how Class Mass was done when it is at 70% would help. I pretty much inserted the Troop containers of Class Mass into the Philippines.
At 100% (1000px width) is looking great for me.
At 70% (700px width) is also looking great for me - see below:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Philippines_draft_sample70.jpg
    Philippines_draft_sample70.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 397

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
OK, just for the sake of making comparisons, here's Classic Massive at the small size... looks like we used more than 70% in the case of this map, but 70% is what we're shooting for.

fd508b9ac9baa2650f87731f1de2b359.png

I think it can work, though it will be cramped. The tight spaces are easy to forgive on ClassMass because there are so many playable regions - that's not the case here. Visually it will require some fudging.

Last edited:

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
sorry to double post, but I had more to say.

I took a minute to fuss around with your map, KFD. For starters I wanted to see if there is room fit a small version of the map in the corner to indicate command values if we so choose, and it would seem that there is.

25b7085ed057acb5f3ff39fccd667f1e.png

As you can see I also whited out the mountains that are simply garnish - those that don't contribute to gameplay - so I can get a better look at what's going on here. The questions I'm left with are more about geographic reality than about game mechanics.

Both of the rivers that you indicate on your map currently run to nowhere - they start in the middle of a land mass (which is logical) and then end in the middle of the same landmass (which is less logical). If it were me doing the art for this map, I'd rather run the river to the sea, and then use a bridge or other icon to represent the connection that spans the river. Could you complete the run of the rivers to the seas, then just plop an arrow over the connection?

The red circles are places in which mountain ranges dead-end at the coast. Running impassable mountains into the coast suggests one couldn't pass an army around that range, which is certainly a possibility; I did this on the 12 Domains map, and I can think of plenty of areas of coastline along the west coast where you couldn't roll an entire army through. Looking at topo maps of the Philippines it looks as if this may be the case for the red circle in the center of the map, but in the other case there are towns and roads through that area, so it seems fairly accessible.

For me the indicated mountains in the center don't add much to the design of the map, other than to put up a frustrating obstacle for somebody trying to take the pink command. The other one is more important, as it protects one region in the light blue from neighbors. But you could do one of two things to make it more realistic: make the mountain range a river (of which there are several in the area) or redesign the area as below, making the central region the protected one:

a676905e8693d7c72a85a5f54039934e.png

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Thanks for your reply Shep.

After a bit of thought I have extended rivers and changed some impassable in this version.

See below that:
- Cagayan and Apayao are bridged.
- Pangasinan and Zambales are bridged
- Anntique and Iloilo are bordering
- Mountains between Bukidnon and Lanao are replaced by a river

attachment.php

What do you think?

Attachments

• Philippines_draft_sample.png
    Philippines_draft_sample.png
    363.2 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Hey KFD.

Just want to point out that QUIRINO and QUEZON physically border each other.
I think you accidentally erased part of the land.
You still show a sea border but that is not needed.

On this map it is teh red and yellow
ef718fbd742de940af0927512a86c48e.png

Liek this
e7d6e2a9e4d728998cc3e01db1466822.png

Last edited:

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Here's a pretty decent physical map of the Philippines... looks like the river you have between Pangasinan and Zambales doesn't run between the two two regions, it just runs north to the seas through the middle of Pangasinan. Since it wasn't going to be impassable anyway it doesn't have any effect on gameplay.

The river next to Bukidnon isn't exactly in the right spot either, but it's close enough to fudge it a bit.

Mountain ranges look good - if and when this gets to the art stage there are plenty of places to add more mountains that are purely decorative, but space is at such a premium we'll probably limit any elements that cut into needed real estate.

Looking at this and other maps, I see there is a chain of islands in the south east called the Sulu Archipelago. It's a bit unclear from the two minutes I put into researching it, but it seems to be recognized internationally as part of the Philippines and administered as such, but locals assert their independence. Was it intentionally left off this map? Because it seems like it should be included. Showing the entire thing makes the map less conveniently sized, even when turned... here's the entire country with the Sulu islands, turned to maximize space

edit: adding all that territory makes a mess of the map. Probably best not to mess with it. Thoughts?

f0bcb259d82f0be8bccb38342d698d9e.png

Physical map of Philippines:
Ph_physical_map_blank.png

Last edited:

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Showing the entire thing makes the map less conveniently sized, even when turned... here's the entire country with the Sulu islands, turned to maximize space

edit: adding all that territory makes a mess of the map. Probably best not to mess with it. Thoughts?
I agree. If we want to actually have this map, we will need to make some spacial compromises.
I think the tilted orientation that KFD has posted is the best solution.

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I agree. If we want to actually have this map, we will need to make some spacial compromises.
I think the tilted orientation that KFD has posted is the best solution.

During my Second Edition of the map (when I tilted the map) I had thought of leaving the sulu islands in... but it really make the map horribly sized. Considering Wid's comments, I had taken them out of the map.

And btw, here is a newer version of the map with the Quirino/Quezon Border Fixed.
Please note that I had added a mountain range in between Quezon and Pampanga to render it impassable.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Philippines_draft_sample.png
    Philippines_draft_sample.png
    364.4 KB · Views: 560
  • Philippines_draft_blank.png
    Philippines_draft_blank.png
    249.6 KB · Views: 388