• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Firefox Extension Support

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
Questions about the Firefox extension? Suggestions for its improvement? Here's the place to ask.

Edit 12 December 2010
New 2.0 release:
-Now supports Firefox 4 beta. Since Firefox 4 basically does away with the status bar, the location of the icon has moved up to the address bar, which is the desired placement for addons.
-Location of icon has moved from status bar to address bar. See above for reasons.
-Middle clicking the icon will now take you directly to majorcommand. The left and right click functionality is the same.

I wanted to get the Firefox extension where i really wanted ti before moving on to the Chrome extension. Expect that coming soon :)

Edit 14 March 2011
New 2.1 release:
- Further improved toolbar compatibility across all versions of Firefox. Fixed glitches previously reported.
- Updated version support for FF4rc1 (as well as final FF4 release when that happens)

Download 2.1 Here!

Edit 29 June 2011
New 2.3 release:
- minor update to add support for FF4 and FF5 (and FF6).
- corrected image size, so no more large/small issue.

Download 2.3 Here!

Last edited:

giuppi

Awesome Player
Very nice job guys, this is so cool!!

Any hope to see a Chrome extension in the future?

Upvote 0

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
I'm planning on a chrome extension, but for now i'm still determing the best method. Chrome has no status bar, so i don't know the best way to implement the functionality. I could put an icon in the address bar, but those are big and take up a lot of space. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

giuppi

Awesome Player
Some Chrome extensions display an icon at the right of the address bar, left of the wrench icon, and they are status icons i.e. can for instance change color when an event happens.
I don't know how feasible it is, but a small floating window just below the corresponding icon would be a nice way to display a turn. Otherwise the icon itself would suffice.

That said, I subscribed to the RSS feed but I don't see my turns there yet (and I have two now). Maybe it just takes some time to show up? (apologies if it's off topic here)
Edit: yup, they showed up after about one hour.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Upvote 0

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
the RSS extension is updated real time. I wonder what is causing your delay.

Upvote 0

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
I'd love to see a Chrome implementation as well. Awesome work you guys are doing under the hood and behind the scenes! :)

Upvote 0

giuppi

Awesome Player
the RSS extension is updated real time. I wonder what is causing your delay.

It might be due to how often Google Reader polls the subscriptions, I think I remember I've read somewhere that the timing depends on the frequency of posts for that specific subscription, so their algorithm might need some tuning at the beginning.

EDIT:
Ok, I was not quite right, it depends on the number of subscribers actually.

From their Help page:
How often Google Reader checks for updates
Google Reader will check your subscriptions for updates about once an hour. Updates may occur a bit less frequently for feeds that have few subscribers.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

giuppi

Awesome Player
If you're using Chrome and Google Reader, you can install Google's Reader Notifier extension as an interim way of monitoring the feed, until coda starts pulling his weight around here.

That's a good idea, but won't do it for me because I always have hundreds of unread posts...
For now I'll keep on relying on email notifications, it's quick and easy.

Upvote 0

Kjell

Awesome Player
I used the extension for firefox 3.6 but after switching over to firefox 4.0 beta 7 it doesn't work anymore. Any ETA on the compability for firefox 4?

Upvote 0

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
I used the extension for firefox 3.6 but after switching over to firefox 4.0 beta 7 it doesn't work anymore. Any ETA on the compability for firefox 4?

Unfortunately FF4 is a bit different than previous versions, and i'm not keen on keeping up with two different versions of the extension. Dont expect an update for FF4 until FF4 is released.

Upvote 0

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
contrary to my previous post, version 1.7 of the extension is out with firefox 4 beta support.

Upvote 0

Kjell

Awesome Player
Just added it and restared FF, it says it's compatible but I can't see it showing up anywhere. It's not in the lower toolbar it seems.

Upvote 0

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Just added it and restared FF, it says it's compatible but I can't see it showing up anywhere. It's not in the lower toolbar it seems.

I am using FF 3.6.13 and I cannot see the MC orange box either.

Upvote 0

darincox

Awesome Player
I'm using FF 3.6.13 and just installed the add-on, but am also not seeing it anywhere. I uninstalled FF and reinstalled to make sure, but still no joy.

I see that others have been posting similar problems for the past three months. Is this an abandoned product?

Upvote 0

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
no it is not abandoned.. i'm looking at mine right now.
it's in your firefox browser, bottom right corner, the yellow square:
8ee929d332ff203ccac42079cb6a8253.png

there are indeed some kinks with it, but overall mine works fine.

Upvote 0

darincox

Awesome Player
Well, I'm using FF 3.6.13 on XP, with the extension installed, and no yellow square.

Upvote 0

samular

Ambassador
Awesome Player
I just tried to install it, too (Not a regular FF user), and I'm having the same issue as Darin.

I have Greasemonkey and Firebug icons down there, but no square. (nothing around the address bar, either, if that is where the 3.x alert is now, too)

3.6.13/Win7

Edit: Also tried to give FF4 a whirl: It would not let me install the add-on in FF4 Beta 11.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
-Location of icon has moved from status bar to address bar. See above for reasons.

The location has moved to the address bar. As such you will need to add the icon to your address bar, by right clicking the bar and selecting 'customize'. You should see the gold square in there.

And shame on you ghost for using an old version.

Upvote 0