• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Adding clearly identifiable Neutral Players? "+N" matches?

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Any feedback 'yay' or 'nay' about a player creating a couple of clearly identified neutral players? I'm looking at adding SgtPattonN1 and SgtPattonN2.

The neutral players do not take their turn, but rather go AWOL.

Why? for variety, to add to the challenge, and to potentially reduce the '1st to play' advantage.

I'm looking to try out some matches 1x1 with 1 or 2 neutrals and an active player. For example, the 1x1 game would begin with the computer allocating terts for the 2 active players and the 1 or 2 neutral players. The neutral players go AWOL and do not participate.

2 issues - 1. anyone object to an active player creating clearly identified neutral players? and 2. is there any interest from other players in trying games like this?

Any feedback?

your thoughts on a player adding clearly identifiable neutral players?

and anyone interested in playing a "+N" match or 2?

Last edited:

Daniel7

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
I’m interested in playing games with more neutrals. I think you need sheriff’s or a certain centcom/admin members ok on multi accounts.

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
I’m interested in playing games with more neutrals. I think you need sheriff’s or a certain centcom/admin members ok on multi accounts.
Thanks for your feedback Daniel7. Hearing nothing to the "nay" yet I will consider the old adage, "it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get approval"

If I hear nothing to the contrary I will proceed later to open a couple of clearly identifiable neutral players and you'll be the firs to know.

I am looking at trying out this on the Classic Evolved map and then maybe the Twelve Domains and Land Rush maps. Do you have any preferences?

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Thanks for your feedback Daniel7. Hearing nothing to the "nay" yet I will consider the old adage, "it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get approval"

If I hear nothing to the contrary I will proceed later to open a couple of clearly identifiable neutral players and you'll be the firs to know.

I am looking at trying out this on the Classic Evolved map and then maybe the Twelve Domains and Land Rush maps. Do you have any preferences?

Sorry, didn't really read this closely.
I don't see an issue with it but I'll ask the ultimate arbitrator, Sheriff.

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Sorry, didn't really read this closely.
I don't see an issue with it but I'll ask the ultimate arbitrator, Sheriff.
Thanks Cardinalsrule, much appreciated. I have no desire to risk having my account blocked, and no desire to use neutral players as a ploy to win by having them go AWOL only to bring them back at a most inopportune time for the other player, such is not in my nature. Not to mention that would be very counter-productive as using neutral players is very much built on trust to begin with.

I'll wait to hear back.

If approved then i would create a couple of clearly identified neutral players, SgtPattonN1 and SgtPattonN2.

How would it work? For example with a 4 player game with 2 neutral players, I would create the new game then quickly add N1 and N2, leaving slot 4 for a live player to join the game. Once the game launches then N1 and N2 would wait out their turns without taking their turns. After a couple of rounds they should be marked AWOL and then the game would proceed much quicker.

It's an experiment to provide variety as this would call for somewhat different tactics, and as a plus, it may even level the '1st to play' advantage in 2 player matches.

Attachments

• At Parade Rest 2.jpg
    At Parade Rest 2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Thanks Cardinalsrule, much appreciated. I have no desire to risk having my account blocked, and no desire to use neutral players as a ploy to win by having them go AWOL only to bring them back at a most inopportune time for the other player, such is not in my nature. Not to mention that would be very counter-productive as using neutral players is very much built on trust to begin with.

I'll wait to hear back.

If approved then i would create a couple of clearly identified neutral players, SgtPattonN1 and SgtPattonN2.

How would it work? For example with a 4 player game with 2 neutral players, I would create the new game then quickly add N1 and N2, leaving slot 4 for a live player to join the game. Once the game launches then N1 and N2 would wait out their turns without taking their turns. After a couple of rounds they should be marked AWOL and then the game would proceed much quicker.

It's an experiment to provide variety as this would call for somewhat different tactics, and as a plus, it may even level the '1st to play' advantage in 2 player matches.

The issue as the other admins and I see it is, while we completely trust you to not abuse this, opening the door for people to make multi-accounts is a slippery slope. Periwinkle did mention that she has a couple of accounts that she made for training games (with Sheriff's permission) that she would be willing to let you use if Sheriff approves.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Sorry for the delayed reply to your very interesting proposal! We wanted to thoroughly think of the consequences of this request. As @Cardinalsrule mentioned before, we know that we can trust certain players to keep neutral accounts neutral. However, it will be quite difficult to tease out legitimate neutral players and cheaters, and this does create a slippery slope.

So our answer is no, you can not create another account.

However, I do have access to some dummy accounts that we use for training purposes and my videos. We can use those accounts as AWOL's in your game. Anyone interested in having an AWOL player in your game, just message me and I will be happy to add those AWOL players into your game. :)

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Sorry for the delayed reply to your very interesting proposal! We wanted to thoroughly think of the consequences of this request. As @Cardinalsrule mentioned before, we know that we can trust certain players to keep neutral accounts neutral. However, it will be quite difficult to tease out legitimate neutral players and cheaters, and this does create a slippery slope.

So our answer is no, you can not create another account.

However, I do have access to some dummy accounts that we use for training purposes and my videos. We can use those accounts as AWOL's in your game. Anyone interested in having an AWOL player in your game, just message me and I will be happy to add those AWOL players into your game. :)
Thanks periwinkle. I understand about the trust issue. The dummy accounts that you have, are they clearly identified as dummy accounts?

Under the present set up unless the dummy accounts are clearly identified, how is a person to know that they are joining a game that will include dummy accounts?

Still, your offer is a better option than no option.

How do you see the mechanics? I inbox you that I'm looking at setting up a game with neutral players, I launch the game and inbox the game url link to you and an interested 2nd player, you add the neutral players and the other player signs up completing the foursome and launching the game?

I'm game and willing to give it a try.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
yes, just send me a message and a game link and let me know how many neutral players you need and i'll add them in. The neutral players are:

@riskqueen
@IceKing
@MCer

Incidentally, these players were in my training videos and the accounts were made after the end of flash :) If you need more neutral players i'll have to contact another former admin for access....we have 12 additional ones that were used in our target games in the generals clan....i'll let you know we still have access to these 12 additional ones. Have fun!

Last edited:

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
we have 12 additional ones that were used in our target games in the generals clan...
oooh, i would give a lot for another targets games. those were fantastic! thanks @masterjskye for some of the best games i got to play on this site.

@SgtPatton i think your idea to explore game options with neutral players is great, and i wish you all possible success. i am a bit busy atm, but feel free to message me if you are looking for a participant in those games, if i can i will happily join.

Last edited:

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
It is 9:45 am MST. I'll return at 11 am MST to set up a 1x1+2N game.

@periwinkle, hopefully that timing works for you, if not let me know what time works for you and we can coordinate a launch. I like @riskqueen and @IceKing, let's run with these two for now. Thanks

@Daniel7 @once @Stormcat ** and any others ** who may be interested,

I'll post the game url here when launched. If more than one of you is interested, let me know and I'll add more than one map this first time out of the gate.

Last edited:

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
@SgtPatton I've sent passwords for those neutral players in a message. i'm interested in playing as well. We are thinking of standardizing the neutral accounts perhaps with usernames like: neutralplayer1, neutralplayer2 etc unless you guys can think up a better naming system?

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
the first ever 1x1+2N has launched. Follow the flight and the fight here > https://www.majorcommand.com/beta/59651

are you also interested in giving this a try? if so, message here and I'll launch another flite and inbox you the scheduled launch time and then the link.

Last edited:

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
The inaugural flite of 1x1+2N has launched. Now to endure the long wait for the 2 neutrals to go AWOL.

At first glance, i think this may accomplish one objective of reducing the "1st to play advantage".

Another observation is that, at first glance, this totally changes the dynamics of the early phase of the game.

I like it :) so far so good.

[wishlist - to have a on/off "neutral" menu option when setting up a new game. If "on" then an option to select how many neutral players. And those neutral players automatically go AWOL as soon as the game is launched. ]

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
@SgtPatton I've sent passwords for those neutral players in a message. i'm interested in playing as well. We are thinking of standardizing the neutral accounts perhaps with usernames like: neutralplayer1, neutralplayer2 etc unless you guys can think up a better naming system?
or MajCommN1, MajCommN2, ... etc. ?

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
@Daniel7, let me know if you want to give this new game layout a spin.

this is wide open at this point for more test pilots, sign up here to be added to the waiting list.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
This experiment could just mean that we need to add more neutrals terts on certain maps for 1v1 games.