• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

A Grand Game of Games: Rules discussion.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
So I want to move forward with this game of games idea. After writing out the rules, they are pretty complicated, or at least hard to visualize.

This thread is just to discuss the rules, not a sign up thread. Let me know if it makes sense.

-----------------
This tournament will be an experiment in format. I invite 24 players to participate is a grand game of MajCom that is made up of many smaller games. I imagine this might take a while.

Here is how it works and rules
Reference map.
Mininames.jpg

1. The grand game will be played on the classic mini map and will updated by Badoties, by hand.
  2. Each player will start with a single region determined at random.
  3. Each round, all players must send in their movement orders privately to Badorties. This is comprised of which region you are moving from and too. Each region may only move once per turn.
  4. Movements will result in an attack if two players are occupying the same region when all movements have been processed.
  5. If Player A in Canada attacks Player B in USA, and player B attacks player A in Canada, they will effectively swap regions.
  6. If player C in Alaska also attacks player A in Canada on the same turn, all non-agressive movements take place first. So Player A and B swap regions, then Player C faces a 1v1 battle against Player B for Canada.
  7. This is pretty confusing, sorry. If you want to make sure you don’t swap with an enemy you have to move one your rear armies (from greenland) to Canada. Then Player B attacking Canada would have to battle for it.
  8. Regions that end up with multiple attackers will result in 3 player or 4 player games, etc.
  9. Battles in NA will be on the NA map. Those in europe will be on the cold war map. Battles in UK will be on the UK map. Asia battles on Asia map. You get the idea. Settings will be escalating. Further settings determined by the player with more regions, or by me if it is a tie.
  10. If a player controls an entire command they can submit more movement orders based on the command bonus. If they own North America they can submit 3 extra movement orders per turn. These can come from any region. If a player ends up attack a region twice (Attacking Greenland from the UK and Canada) then one attack game is played, and if the attacker loses, another attack game is played.
  11. The grand winner will the player who is the final remaining player after all others have been defeated or for-fitted.

Let me know if this makes sense. Thanks

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Yeah it does make sense. sounds pretty cool actually. A few questions if I may?

* Are contestants allowed to confer with each other or is that considered secret diplomacy?

* What map do you play if you're on Antarctica?

* Will USA be the USA map or North America too?

* Should there be a time limit for things like getting troop movements in to you and setting up & joining games etc?

* Is a region that has been vacated by all players a freebie for whoever lands on it uncontested?

* Do you have to move each turn?

All I can think of right now =)

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
* Are contestants allowed to confer with each other or is that considered secret diplomacy?

Yes, secret diplomacy would be allowed in this case.

wildcard. Player with the mosre regions picks.

* Will USA be the USA map or North America too?

only USA. rest is NA

* Should there be a time limit for things like getting troop movements in to you and setting up & joining games etc?

Yes there will be.

* Is a region that has been vacated by all players a freebie for whoever lands on it uncontested?

Correct

* Do you have to move each turn?

No.

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Yes it makes sense, and I have been waiting for you to move on with this idea.

Blondo

Awesome Player

Yes, secret diplomacy would be allowed in this case.

At least this should be the "in game" feature (so diplo in disguise instead of completely hidden from sight outside the game = what I hear when you mention secret diplo). Still I'd keep diplo limited for these kind of trnys/game of games ... the most fun aspect is not knowing the moves of other players (making the best possible use of the extra strategic possibilities that are a result of making moves at the same time).

wildcard. Player with the mosre regions picks.

Maybe it's worth considering Mars (seems to bear the most similarities to a place that's difficult to make habitable). This might result in a smoother run (instead of solving ties, etc.).

Was thinking of a decay map of Antarctica (hunting for penguin eggs instead of an Easter Egg Hunt) or the Northpole & Santa's lil' Oil reserves (maybe something to keep in mind for X-mas). This is a map of the Antarctic Region with 7 claims. You can add some claims: e.g. Belgian Antarctic Expedition, near Graham Land (add besides the Argentinean & Chilean claim). In your homeland/expedition vessel you're safe from decay (maybe even get auto-deploys), yet once you're on the ice those Antarctic regions decay (some regions could be safe though/award auto deploys, e.g. warm research facilities) ... in the middle of the Antarctic you'll find penguins eggs to bombard everyone with if you can hold them warm for one round (= similar to the Nukes missile/Draig tower).

Guessing that Aussie & Africa maps will be included. Will M.East map be included too (seeing that UK map is for UK) ... Russia/America attacks could be Duck&Cover or Nukes ... all depends on how many maps you like to include: the more, the merrier or less is more (= both are fine by me, yet I'd go for 1/all regions of a command or add maps for all "special" regions).

* If Player A in Canada attacks Player B in USA, and player B attacks player A in Canada, they will effectively swap regions.

This idea approaches the "Same Time Risk" concept ... a concept that has support in our community & beyond.

It would make more sense that these 2 have to do battle in a "Border Clash".
In the example A & B would fight to determine who will be able to do an invasion of the other players region or in a tie there's no invasion. You could even let the amount of maps/settings depend on the troops involved: e.g. A attacks with 2 troops & B with 1 => A chooses settings on 2 maps while B only once (border clashes are always 1v1 & if you have to play those games simultaneously they end quickly).

To take a region without a "border clash" you'd be in an "Invasion" scenario.
E.g. A attacks B (he still defends). Just a suggestion yet also here you could let A choose settings (on 2 maps if he attacks with 2) and B depending on how many he's defending with.

"Mass invasions" where more than 2 persons attack/defend could still be played with multiple players on the same map (all those involved) or the defender has to do battle against each of the attackers seperately (1v1 situations are resolved more quickly than e.g. 3 players on the same map).
The defender A wins all = he keeps his region (attackers lose the troops they used in the attack).
If the defender A wins 1 against e.g. B; C still invades and A ends up in a "Spoils of War/Invasion".
The defender A loses all games; e.g. B & C attack A and A loses both; A has no claim (= eliminated), then B & C do battle in a "Spoils of War".

"Spoils of War", e.g. the defender A has lost against B & C; then B & C fight each other for control over the region they're attacking. Spoils are awarded at the end so those games are played after "Mass Invasions, yet when you keep everything 1v1 this game of games will run smoother than allowing for 3 player games".

Last edited:

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Good feedback Blondo. I think Border clashes would result in too many games per turn. I want to try to keep it to one round of games per turn where possible. If you want to make sure your starting region is protected, you need to move reinforcements in there.

I think there are many possible rule variations to the master game. But I think we should try to keep complexity low this first go around. Then we will know what works and what doesn't, and can improve from there.

Blondo

Awesome Player
OK I'll move the same time idea for trnys to the relevant subforum ... maybe we can find a trny director ... winking at KFD & Master.

Back on topic and adhering to the simple rule of more is less:

- 1 map for all regions of a particular command (African conflicts resolved on Africa map, ... and Antarctic on the Mars map) or still opt for special regions (UK, M.East, 1 or 2 wildcard regions, etc.)? Guessing that the map to do battle on is the one of the OP map regions that's being invaded and not the one from where the attack is launched (on the OP map).
- usual diplo (but kept in check/within reason); e.g. all diplo messages in open chatter + official border truces allowed
- have some other concerns too ... yet less is more ... so I'll keep my input limited
- “Grand Game of Games” sounds pompous ... change it to something that's less overkill like "The Grand" or "Game of Games”.

BTW guessing that the same time feature for casual gaming (straight gameplay design without the need for a trnydirector) is on the long list. I remember that you mentionned it in one of your replies ... nagged you enough about this concept already ... Dread & I have been eyeing this feature since we started here and have tried to keep the dream alive while moving through the ranks. After migrating away from flash, I hope same time will be one of the first features to be introduced.

Last edited:

BadElmer

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
Love the idea.

I would definitely like there to be the opportunity to have multiplayer games when more than 2 are going for the same territory.

What I'm not getting is:

How do you gain territories on the main meta-map if you are moving each turn and leaving unoccupied territory behind you?

Are there numbers of troops on the meta-map or just simple ownership?

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Badelmer I think that there are no troops involved on the main map, and by moving it is more like expanding out and you would still own your previous territory. If someone else moves into it you fight for control and if not then you just keep it uncontested. May be wrong.

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Love the idea.

I would definitely like there to be the opportunity to have multiplayer games when more than 2 are going for the same territory.

What I'm not getting is:

How do you gain territories on the main meta-map if you are moving each turn and leaving unoccupied territory behind you?

Are there numbers of troops on the meta-map or just simple ownership?

You gain regions by winning. Ideally the regions you leave unoccupied are not in the front lines, or if they are, you move other regions into them so they remain occupied.

No numbers, just ownership.

BadElmer

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
So if I move one territory that I start with (and win any skirmish there) and nobody moves into my original territory, I now have 2 territories?

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
So if I move one territory that I start with (and win any skirmish there) and nobody moves into my original territory, I now have 2 territories?

yes.

BadElmer

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
great...so in what case would there be a territory left vacant, if any?

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
great...so in what case would there be a territory left vacant, if any?

A region may be vacant an army, but not vacant control. If I move from USA to canada and either oen Central and don't move, or someone owns central and doesn't move into USA, then USA would be vacant an army, but still under my control and count towards a command bonus.

BadElmer

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
So, in that case, USA would not get an attack the next round but Canada would?

stone123

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
Sounds like fog settings a bit which is quite fun

Bado its gonna be a lot of work for you if 24 ppl send you their moves and u have to manually move for us

And you will have to wait for turn order...and what happens if someone misses a turn?

I can see everyones 1st move ....STAY PUT...or is that just me

I like the idea but i just think its gonna be very hard to pull it off manually

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
So, in that case, USA would not get an attack the next round but Canada would?

No the following round the USA would have an army created and can move it one region.

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Sounds like fog settings a bit which is quite fun

Bado its gonna be a lot of work for you if 24 ppl send you their moves and u have to manually move for us

And you will have to wait for turn order...and what happens if someone misses a turn?

I can see everyones 1st move ....STAY PUT...or is that just me

I like the idea but i just think its gonna be very hard to pull it off manually

Yes the first round is going to be a mess, but I imagine at least 50% would be gone after the first round. Its only 24 move orders and I will update the map once per turn.

BadElmer

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
thanks for clearing it up Badorties...sounds great...hoping to be 1 of the 24; sounds like a good experiment

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Wait so if you attacked someone you don't get to play a game to defend your territory??? You should be able to play a game to defend your territory.