• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

12 Domains map design question

palmono

Awesome Player
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
Hi.

I was wondering why three of the 12 domains have their forts three terrs from the command's border, while the other 9 have them just 2 terrs away. As armies are placed in forts, this design becomes a clear and great disadvantage in games with limited moves (to take your armies out).

Cheers,

Palmono

palmono

Awesome Player
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
none of those documents explain why three commands have worst features :/

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
My guess is because they weren't intended to be identical and sometimes geography does give an advantage.

I agree with you though. In certain map settings, these (dis)advantages become more pronounced.

matildathehun

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
I agree with Chilly -- I think they're just meant to be different. The other way you could look at it is that it's easier to defend.

I didn't really take too much notice of that, but what I did notice is that some domains are easier to populate than others. For example, the far south-west domain is tough to take over because it's a straight line -- you have to go one after the other in two different directions. Most though like the island give you three different exits and two clear paths. But hey, ultimately that's okay -- having every domain different makes it more exciting and challenging because you have to make up strategies for each one.

But I think the root of the problem as you describe it Palmono is the border reinforcement thing. I don't like playing those games (in fact I've only played it once, and that was by accident...) I think border reinforcement unnecessarily delays the game, especially in the end game. You can't move your troops to where they need to be because they are stuck plodding along through the mud behind you. Maybe it adds to the realism, but for me, it takes away from the fun...!

MTH

namelochil

Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
I was wondering why three of the 12 domains have their forts three terrs from the command's border, while the other 9 have them just 2 terrs away. As armies are placed in forts, this design becomes a clear and great disadvantage in games with limited moves (to take your armies out).

The dragon tower is closer to those three kingdoms. That is the simplest answer to your question

Dalinar

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
The dragon tower is closer to those three kingdoms. That is the simplest answer to your question
Yep.

The western towers are 5 reinforcements away from the tower, the others are 6 (I did have to go look at the map). It's a trade-off, though one that doesn't normally work out well for whoever gets the western tower. However, I'd much rather have one of those western towers than all three towers in the same region - there are worse things that can happen to you in the drop..

There are also (fun imo) long 1v1 games where the dragon comes in to play. In those, a person with one of towers has a major advantage. Generally, you just have to work out a slightly different plan than you normally might with one of the other towers.