• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

WWI Empires Map

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
http://debitage.net/humangeography/images/Colonialism_1914.png

A map that works sort of like classic evolved or classic massive, but then territory bonuses are also linked together through their empires - Britain would be apart of the European bonus, but also would be tied to NZ and Australia (who would both also be part of the Oceanic bonus), African territories (part of african bonuses as well) and India (part of asian bonuses as well), which I think could make for a nice map.

I won't go into badly drawn diagrams or a visual interpretation right now, since the MC maps are a bit quiet right now, but this could be a nice map to see in the future :)

Without the Americas could add an interesting element to the map as well, ven if there are some empires/powers there.

thenoahw

Awesome Player
That sounds a lot like the idea I had when originally working on my USA Massive map, commands nested inside of other commands. Your's are more "linked together" though if I understand right.

So, would you get a bonus for controlling an empire even if you didn't control a continent?

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
You mean, something like this? It's an old Conquer Club map, which we have the rights to use. Of course, just because we can use something does not mean that we should use it.

00Tku.jpg

Last edited:

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
Oh wow, thats my idea + 10 - didn't realize it was a thing! I've learnt a bit about WWI and we sort of have a WWII map and I was trying tot hink of how a WWI map could be different!

You seem quite unkeen/unspoken on making it a thing here though, with no real experience with Graphic Design I think this could be an interesting idea for MC if it were cleaned up a little bit!

That's pretty cool, thanks for linking that! Just googled Conquer Club, is that like MajComs big brother or predecessor?

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The original founders of this site came from conk - the game is similar but the inmates run the asylum over there. We have ported over a couple of our conk maps, but the goal was never to make this a clone of that site - there are plenty of good ideas out there without having to rehash old ideas.

This map is good, but it isn't great. I agree that the graphics are not quite up to MajCom standards, and the play is a bit clunky - once players settle in to defend regions it's next to impossible to hold a European power + colonies.

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
I was thinking about it, and perhaps this would be too big of a map, but what if the design was changed to be a map in a map? Europe and the world (colonies). Europe has different regions (sort of like the rome or WWII map mixed with Classic Evolved)

Perhaps planes or naval ships or trains could connect regions? (Perhaps not planes, since they weren't used so frequently for travel til after the war?) I know going through the panama canal / through egypt were common ways to get to Australia and New Zealand, so connections could make Europe the centre of attention while also making all the other regions accessible from Europe?

That way instead of a Europe Bonus, the major powers within Europe would just get bonuses since they would be half the map!

Not sure how well I got my point across here, but I feel that would make the map flow maybe? No idea if such a design could work, perhaps like how on some maps a magnifying class is put on some small regions and countries?

OneEyed

Awesome Player
Geoffrey, I though about similar map for longer time. but I would make it from earlier era around year 1800.
something like this could works for what you mentioned:
empireotalwarmaps.jpg

OneEyed

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
Uck I just typed a response but backspace key deleted everything I wrote by taking be back a page. Just downloaded an extension in response that will stop that from happening :p

To try revive what I was saying, woah yea, that's basically my basic point! My idea was more for a WWI map because I know the era far better than I do 1800, would there be anuy relevance to just be magnifying on those three regions during that period? I must admit I haven't studied too much of the early 1800's :)

For WWI (a map from 1914ish) Europe sort of was the centre of the world, and links could be made through ships to the Americas, Africa and a lot of Asia and Oceania (since Europe was using imperialism as a social status/colonizing everyone).

OneEyed

Awesome Player
why 1800 or before? for me it is more about colonisation and exploration.
why just these regions? Africa was colonised just on the north and on some coast, the North America could be interesting with fight for independence and fight between French and British. India (and I would like to see also Indonesia there) was interesting too.
also there could be presented important Dutch East India Company, East India Company, Hudson's Bay Company...

for WWI I think the best area is Europe. this was place where future of World was solving.

OneEyed

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
Colonisation was at its prime in the late 1800's and early 1900's :p You had Africa almost completely colonised, India was still in British control, bits of Asia and Oceania were under European control - this way it makes sense that Europe is magnified and that there are ships going to all these regions.

By WWI, http://www.saburchill.com/history/chapters/empires/images/0090.jpg Africa was entirely colonised, just not the north and the powers had decent claims of land!

Other regions like the Americas could be optional - I don't have much of a clue when the Spanish and Portugese stopped being so influential in South America, but Canada and some of the islands (probably ;D) were still under the British Monarchy!

Some people point imperialism as a major cause of WWI, so the entire world would definitely be very relevant rather than just Europe!

OneEyed

Awesome Player
seems that we spoke about different time period.

Colonisation was at its prime in the late 1800's and early 1900's :p You had Africa almost completely colonised, India was still in British control, bits of Asia and Oceania were under European control - this way it makes sense that Europe is magnified and that there are ships going to all these regions.

exploration era started around 1500. colonisation era is dated in the begining of 18th century. also era of big trading companies mentioned started after 1600.
By WWI, http://www.saburchill.com/history/chapters/empires/images/0090.jpg Africa was entirely colonised, just not the north and the powers had decent claims of land!

Other regions like the Americas could be optional - I don't have much of a clue when the Spanish and Portugese stopped being so influential in South America, but Canada and some of the islands (probably ;D) were still under the British Monarchy!

you speak about WWI and I about era of american war of independence. in this time Africa was not much colonized.
Some people point imperialism as a major cause of WWI, so the entire world would definitely be very relevant rather than just Europe!

and some people point that destroying the monarchiest and revolution was the cause of WWI :). also some people point that there is difference between colonalism and imperialism.
I would said that era around start of WWI is rather era of imperialism.

OneEyed

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
I think you misunderstand, I'll try explain!

exploration era started around 1500. colonisation era is dated in the begining of 18th century. also era of big trading companies mentioned started after 1600.

Correct, but I'm not talking about when it started, I'm talking about its prime and how before WWI it was a whole shitstorm of the European powers spreading their imperial power.

you speak about WWI and I about era of american war of independence. in this time Africa was not much colonized.
My map would show how it is in 1900 - pretty much independant from Europe. I'm aware USA was independant centuries before this, but I was saying I have no idea about South America but without googling or getting any extra knowledge I assume they were also mostly independant.

and some people point that destroying the monarchiest and revolution was the cause of WWI . also some people point that there is difference between colonalism and imperialism.
I would said that era around start of WWI is rather era of imperialism.

Militarism, Alliances, Imperialism, Nationalism and the Spark of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand would be the big five that I would consider, but the other four wouldn't be relevant for an entire map (arguably Alliances could make an interesting WWI map, but that's going off track)

OneEyed

Awesome Player
I think you misunderstand, I'll try explain!

now it is clear :y: so you want map about WWI or about imperialism?
My map would show how it is in 1900 - pretty much independant from Europe. I'm aware USA was independant centuries before this, but I was saying I have no idea about South America but without googling or getting any extra knowledge I assume they were also mostly independant.

yes, in these times was almost all america independent.
Militarism, Alliances, Imperialism, Nationalism and the Spark of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand would be the big five that I would consider, but the other four wouldn't be relevant for an entire map (arguably Alliances could make an interesting WWI map, but that's going off track)

yes, these are the "official" reasons. but there were some hidden powers which plunge nations into war.

OneEyed

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
now it is clear so you want map about WWI or about imperialism?
---
The design that I would be talking about would be the map right before WWI (1914ish) that shows links between the major powers and their colonies, but also has a European focus with the whole magnifying glass idea!

Indigo5BANNED

Awesome Player
I haven't done a lot of recent reading on the subject of WW1 so plz correct me if Im wrong...

But didnt most of the battles take place inside of Europe?
Such as on the on the western front in trenches on the front line in Belgium and northern France by Brittish, French, Belgian soldiers against German soldiers? I think in WW2, more colonial recruits were involved and more battles raged in the colonies, but perhaps not so much in WW1. If that's the case and if the aim is to re-enact WW1, what's the relevance of showing the colonies on the map?

I do like the idea of a map that shows colonies, but then perhaps we could make it a WW2 map instead?
One could argue that you'd have to involve the usa, but the usa intended to remain neutral throughout and joined in only after Japan attacked Hawaii right?

OneEyed

Awesome Player
time ago (several years) I made map for CC. there are two maps, map1 starts before war in 1914 and map2 starts during war in 1915. the idea was to jump from map1 to map2 after any conditons in map1 is completed. there are different bonuses in each map, because situtation on each map is different, map1 is from peace era, map2 is from war era. unfortunately it was never finished. I posted them here, just to show "my" idea about WWI map.

map1
WWI_1914_2.png

map2
WWI_1915_2.png

OneEyed

Last edited:

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
If the goal is to make a map that we can play here at MajCom, you guys also need to consider practicality. Making a map that shows, say, European Imperialism on a global scale means you'll need a map of entire planet, but much of the land mass will be out of play... most of Asia was not subject to European Imperialism. Keep in mind that you have 1000x800 pixels to work with, so for every pixel that represents an ocean, out-of-play region, or is taken up by a legend explaining complicated rules, the playable regions grow smaller.

Another example is that a WWI map would be far more manageable than a WWII map. The conflict of the war to end all wars fits nicely into a rectangle, while the second world war takes place on opposite sides of the globe. OneEyed's depiction of the relevant regions in a four-panel map is one possible solution, or you could develop multiple maps within a series (WWII: EUROPE and WWII: PACIFIC).

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
If we were to do a WWI map on just Europe, combining your map #1 and map #2 could be interesting. A map on the Alliance system could be had, where having one territory in at least one of the triple entents or triple alliances would give you a troop which could give incentive to break bonuses to give yourself a troop, but this is all far away from any original ideas I had :p

Just to keep the WWI world map alive further :p :

most of Asia was not subject to European Imperialism.

Asia had the empire of Japan though, which in itself could be portrayed on the map as just another territory, but there were some interesting things between Russia V Japan where Japan navally beat Russia and Britain seeking out an ally in Japan! But you're right, most of Asia was without European imperialism, but there could be territories
Keep in mind that you have 1000x800 pixels to work with, so for every pixel that represents an ocean, out-of-play region, or is taken up by a legend explaining complicated rules, the playable regions grow smaller.

Which is where I thought the American continent could be cut away?

Also Oneeyed on your second map, is Egypt the same colour as the BE?

OneEyed

Awesome Player
Also Oneeyed on your second map, is Egypt the same colour as the BE?

yes. it is part of British Empire bonus.
those maps are not last version, I can not find the last ones.

OneEyed