• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

What if All Players Got the Same Number of Troops on Round 1?

BlimeyCorWhatTheBloominHeck

Awesome Player
I can't help but notice the advantage that a player gets by going first - mostly in 1v1s. That player has momentum on their side from the get-go, and, often enough, they never lose it. While it is quite possible to win after going second, it's a lot harder. The advantage of going first, as is, tends to make these games less fun and engaging than they would otherwise be.

Well, I have an idea. What if, on the first round of the game (and only the first round), all players receive troops based on the number of regions they held at the BEGINNING of the round - without taking into account any losses they might have taken before taking their first turn?

Let me give an example - let's say you're playing a 1v1 on Classic Evolved, so both players start with 26 regions. The first player gets 8 Troops, and manages to take 3 regions from the second player. The second player now has 23 regions. Under normal circumstances, this would mean that he would get 7 Troops. With the new rule, however, he would still get 8, because he had 26 regions at the beginning of Round One.

Granted, this probably wouldn't make much of a difference. The strategic advantage still solidly goes to the first player, and the second player will probably only ever get 1 additional troop, if anything. However, 1 troop is something; it would help a little. Also, with this change, it is the SECOND player (rather than the first) who gets the initial opportunity to reduce their opponent's Troop deployment. After all, on Round Two, the change no longer applies. If the second player is able to turn the tables and knock the first player down to 23 regions, the first player will get 7 Troops on Round Two. True, that's far-fetched, but it's an interesting note.

Good idea? Yes? No? What do you think?

(Also, first time posting on the forums, so howdy!:biggrin:)

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Howdy!

You might have noticed, in 1v1 games, that's the way it already works :) in he's with more players, it's not like that, but it's not such a big deal there, I think.

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Hmmm...

What if we had an optional setting whereby players always received their deployment based on the number of regions they held at the beginning of the round of their turn? That is, extend this idea throughout the game. In an 8 player game, that evens things a bit for the 7th and 8th players, right?

I might like that option for my games. Anyone else like that idea?

:alberteinstein:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I've always advocated (in vain) for all players to get the same number of deploy in round 1, it's just insult to injury to go last in a large game and have the fewest troops on the board when your turn starts, and then you also get less deploy than everyone else.

BlimeyCorWhatTheBloominHeck

Awesome Player
Howdy!

You might have noticed, in 1v1 games, that's the way it already works :) in he's with more players, it's not like that, but it's not such a big deal there, I think.

Oh, ok :laugh: ehh I'll admit I have hardly any experience in 1v1s myself - I was going off of videos I'd watched where the player who went second DID have a reduced troop deploy, and I thought to myself "Hey, that's not cool". I guess the videos were old, lol. Whoops.

I agree that it's not as big of a deal in games with more than 2 players, but I don't see why it couldn't be implemented anyway. Like Cardinalsrule said, if you go last in a large game, you could easily be knocked down enough to get 1 less troop than everyone else. That's the last thing you need - especially given the troops and/or regions you've already lost.

Last edited: