• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

USA Massive Map

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Ah, much better. You need some bridges over the various rivers, but other than that, looks pretty good... In order to turn what you have into a map, all the county lines will have to go away, which will take some work. Makes it too busy.

thenoahw

Awesome Player
I figured as much. I will work on that as I get the time

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Looks awesome mate.. and your attitude is great! I really hope this one makes it on to the site some day.

LordAdef

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Nice job!

I would still want to have it as big as possible! I mean, let's have it really huge in terms of tert count.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
The thing is, LA, that you run into problems in terms of having the terts large enough to hold a troop container, and the names. So there's really a limit, can't go much over what CM has. The map as Noah currently has it is probably is as big as it could get. I like it the way it is, needs some cleanup as previously discussed, and then all the coding stuff would have to be done, but overall its well on it's way. I wouldn't think many changes need to be made other than adding some bridges over the rivers and things like that. But none of our cartographers have weighed in yet, I'd be interested in hearing what Shep and Wids have to say.

LordAdef

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
I get it Card, and you are right. Can this map pixel limit be extended so it could provide a bigger map? With vertical and horizontal scrolls one could navigate the giant map.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Another big-ass map... I like it.

The working versions are tough to make sense of, given all of the county lines and the way the regions are colored, so it's hard to look at all of the connections and commands with a critical eye. I'll see if I can mock up something in the next week or so that's easier to read.

Map size limits are set... the site re-code could allow for changes, but scrolling to see a map sounds really problematic.

I'm glad to see the inclusion of rivers and mountain ranges as impassable objects. Cards is correct in that there need to be ways to get through them - bridges and passes.

Question: the black lines seem to be impassable rivers or mountains - what are the large dead brown areas?

Another question, as I look closer: are the commands indicated by color scheme, or is each state a command? If it's color, they're really large. Too large to allow bonuses early into games.

While it's not a rule and given the highlights at this site it could work, we generally try to avoid places where four regions come together, like the four corners region of the US. It could be confusing/frustrating in a game if you thought you could attack diagonally but then you got there and find that you can't. (Or vice-versa.)

I also agree that I wouldn't push this map to get too much larger. 120+ regions is pretty big, and would make for good games with lots of players. Cluttering the map up with cities or airports might just get in the way.

One thing that I personally take issue with on maps is when the impassable objects aren't impassable at all. If this is a modern map of the US and we're talking about it being a war zone, couldn't tanks and aircraft get over and around the mountains and rivers pretty easily? However, if this map were set in 1912 - the year that Arizona and New Mexico filled out the 48 contiguous states - rivers and mountains would still be pretty formidable barriers. And you wouldn't have to make excuses for not including Hawaii and Alaska - they weren't states yet!

Here's the US in 1912. Visually we don't have anything quite like this on the site yet.

kr-1912-us.jpg

Last edited:

LordAdef

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Porto Rico should be included as well! And it wouldn't clutch the interface. This map must be justifiable otherwise it wouldn't make sense having another US / North America map. Shepperd, you need to make it the map of maps out of this one! It's been a while we don't have a new map around.

By the way: Shepperd, is the new code planning for map enhancements and novelties? If so, would you tell us what's on coming?

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
By the way: Shepperd, is the new code planning for map enhancements and novelties? If so, would you tell us what's on coming?
Don't know... that's above my pay grade. :)

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
I'm enjoying reading the process of this really cool map. I believe in you guys making something special.

thenoahw

Awesome Player
I have been working as often as possible on this new stage. Im still stuck using Paint, so they still look rough.

I decided to take the advice and drop the airports but keep the "sea-terts" in way of maybe trying port cities. I decided that those would need to be merged with the terts they are on rather than being a separate one like I had originally been considering. there just isn't enough space, like I know has been said.

I also edited the impassibles a little while I was adding bridges because there were just too many borders. I think I have it much more broken up this time.

I also included the old (not cleaned up) version with the troop indicators for the purpose of giving perspective as to the size. And please, anyone, thoughts and critiques on anything or everything. Thanks for the constant feedback.

Attachments

• 01 USA Massive.png
    01 USA Massive.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 02 USA Massive-cleaned up.png
    02 USA Massive-cleaned up.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 03 USA Massive- indicators.png
    03 USA Massive- indicators.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 04 USA Massive-black and white impassibles.png
    04 USA Massive-black and white impassibles.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 05 USA Massive- impassibles with bridges.png
    05 USA Massive- impassibles with bridges.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 06 USA Massive- impassibles (edited) with bridges.png
    06 USA Massive- impassibles (edited) with bridges.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 07 USA Massive- impassibles (edited) with bridges and ports.png
    07 USA Massive- impassibles (edited) with bridges and ports.png
    50 KB · Views: 93

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Anything at all would be appreciated
Sorry for the silence. Since mapmaking has been on the back burner for a while (a long while) its hard to drum up interest in new projects.

Because of the colors you are using I have a great deal of trouble identifying where the commands are. That's keeping me from giving much in the way of useful feedback.

thenoahw

Awesome Player
Because of the colors you are using I have a great deal of trouble identifying where the commands are. That's keeping me from giving much in the way of useful feedback.

I originally wanted to have each state be a command and have those nested inside of a larger command which would be for holding all the states in a region(hence the different colour schemes by region). The problem was that this time, I started with impassibles and build my terts around those and that made it impossible to hold Tennessee, Pennsyvania, Oregon, and some others, because the impassibles completely split the state.

I want there to be commands smaller than the regions (West, Rockies, Plains, Southwest, Midwest, South, Southeast, Mid-Atlantic, and New England) But I don't know exactly how I should do that.

Attachments

• 08 USA Massive- Region Commands.png
    08 USA Massive- Region Commands.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

thenoahw

Awesome Player
There are 15 problem states right now:
These are broken up: Oregon, Wyoming, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania
And these are states that are only 1 territory: Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Deleware, and West Virginia.

Those states are the reasons I decided not to include the state commands inside the region commands.

thenoahw

Awesome Player
I am going to be looking at trying to work airports in again as well as maybe setting a more precise timeframe. This will be posted soon.
Any feedback is welcome.

Attachments

• 08 USA Massive- Region Commands.png
    08 USA Massive- Region Commands.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 09 USA Massive- troop indicators.png
    09 USA Massive- troop indicators.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Personally, I think I prefer the Big Europe map - splitting France into regions is far more interesting than splitting Nevada into regions. If you're going to focus your efforts, I'd say do it on Europe.

Oggyyy

Awesome Player
The Borg
I have read this from front to back, nice to see the progress of it.

Looking forward to it being a bit clearer with photoshop if you managed to sort it :)