• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Troop reinforcements. I don't understand ...

DecaturGuy

Awesome Player
Please read this from the bottom up, and I'd like to hear what a more experienced player has to say.

02/22/15 23:38:27 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Turn Ended
02/22/15 23:38:25 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Reinforced Simpson Desert with 3 units from Cloncurry Plateau
02/22/15 23:35:37 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Took Ilawara from landlord

OK, here's where it fell apart and I don't understand. Crushkill only had one "card," but upon receiving it, I had another match. I could clearly see the match. And either I don't know how to take it or it didn't give it to me automatically the way I got the reinforcements the first. So anyway, I now have five cards but I'll be picked apart before my turn comes again. Is there something I don't understand about taking an opponent down, getting the "cards" and then how to "cash them in"?

02/22/15 23:33:12 crushkill Player Icon crushkill Eliminated by DecaturGuy
02/22/15 23:33:12 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Took Waranga from crushkill
02/22/15 23:32:56 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Took Gippsland from crushkill
02/22/15 23:32:32 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Took Tasmania from crushkill
02/22/15 23:31:43 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Took Cloncurry Plateau from crushkill
02/22/15 23:31:34 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Took Amadeus from crushkill
02/22/15 23:30:49 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Deployed 6 units on Wimmera
02/22/15 23:30:43 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Deployed 2 units on Simpson Desert
02/22/15 23:30:05 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Awarded 2 unit bonus on Flinders Ranges for turning in the Flinders Ranges reserve
02/22/15 23:30:05 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Awarded 2 unit bonus on Wimmera for turning in the Wimmera reserve

Then I eliminated an opponent, who had three cards. That gave me seven. I turned in a set of reserves. So far, so good. ...

02/22/15 23:30:01 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Awarded 8 units for turning in a set of reserves
02/22/15 23:29:22 onesimus17 Player Icon onesimus17 Eliminated by DecaturGuy
02/22/15 23:29:21 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Took Wimmera from onesimus17
02/22/15 23:29:01 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Deployed 6 units on Simpson Desert
02/22/15 23:28:23 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Acquired 3 units for 7 regions
02/22/15 23:28:22 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Awarded 3 units for occupation of South Australia
02/22/15 23:28:20 DecaturGuy Player Icon DecaturGuy Turn started

I started out with four "cards" on this turn but they weren't a match. ...

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
At the beginning of your turn, you can cash in as few as 3 cards if they are matching. HOWEVER, if you are in the middle of your turn, and you eliminate another player, and you take their cards, you can only cash in those cards if the TOTAL NUMBER of cards you have is 5 or more.

EXAMPLE: If you have 3 cards and kill someone with 1 card, that only equals 4 cards total. It doesn't matter if they are matching, you can not cash them in immediately, you have to wait until next turn.

EXAMPLE 2: If you have 4 cards and kill someone with 1 card, that equals 5 cards total. The game will force you to cash in 3 cards because otherwise, once you end your turn, you'd get another card, which would make 6 total, and that is not allowed.

Think of it this way.... After you start you turn, the game does not care if you have a matching set of cards, it only cares that you never have more than 5 cards once your turn ends. So if you somehow acquire 5 or more cards during your turn, the game will force you to cash in your card until you have less than 5. Even if some of those cards are matching, it doesn't matter, if it is less than 5 cards, then you have to hold them until your next turn.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DecaturGuy

Awesome Player
At the beginning of your turn, you can cash in as few as 3 cards if they are matching. HOWEVER, if you are in the middle of your turn, and you eliminate another player, and you take their cards, you can only cash in those cards if the TOTAL NUMBER of cards you have is 5 or more.

EXAMPLE: If you have 3 cards and kill someone with 1 card, that only equals 4 cards total. It doesn't matter if they are matching, you can not cash them in immediately, you have to wait until next turn.

EXAMPLE 2: If you have 4 cards and kill someone with 1 card, that equals 5 cards total. The game will force you to cash in 3 cards because otherwise, once you end your turn, you'd get another card, which would make 6 total, and that is not allowed.

Think of it this way.... After you start you turn, the game does not care if you have a matching set of cards, it only cares that you never have more than 5 cards once your turn ends. So if you somehow acquire 5 or more cards during your turn, the game will force you to cash in your card until you have less than 5. Even if some of those cards are matching, it doesn't matter, if it is less than 5 cards, then you have to hold them until your next turn.

Thank you for the answer! I understand now. I wish I had realized that earlier -- I would have played my turn differently and not expended so many troops to just get 1 card, but there's always next time. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
No problem, you're asking all the right questions. I can tell you want to learn. I asked a ton of questions too when I first started. ;)

Upvote 0

Robinette

omigod, totally bitchen, furshur, furshur
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
To both of you I say, Great articulation!

But I wish the answer was different.
I wish MC used the original RISK rules.
Where ANY kill unlocks any and all card cashing possibilities.

Perhaps someday this could be a setting choice when starting a game...

Upvote 0

DecaturGuy

Awesome Player
NewSheriff, thanks again for the explanation. Somehow, inexplicably, I won the game to which I referenced. My first win on here. I figured I would be eliminated before I ever got the chance to do the eliminating.

Upvote 0

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Congrats on your first win Decaturguy!

Upvote 0

DecaturGuy

Awesome Player
Congrats on your first win Decaturguy!

Why thank you! After seeing victory elude my grasp a couple of times, it was nice to finally secure a win. I doubt the other games I'm in now will result in quite so fortunate an outcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DecaturGuy

Awesome Player
Kill 'em all, DecaturGuy, kill 'em all.

I wish I could establish a Pax Decaturum, with myself the benign dominant power while small outlying areas pay tributes but carry on with their quaint local customs.

Upvote 0

B1G4NF

Awesome Player

That's not strictly true Sheriff. I have, in the past, through sheer strategic neccessity ended my turn with 7 cards, in order to turn a double set at the start of my next turn. I didn't quite have enough troops to kill the game and the reserves, as yet, weren't quite big enough to get the job done either. I decided that my best option was to take out everyone that could turn a set, leaving all remaining players with 1 or 2 cards. When my next turn came around, I had my starting troops & the 45 for turning in both sets! In this way, the players left, that had 2 cards at the start of my turn, had 3 cards when I turned in the double set, allowing me to clean up!

The only downside to keeping hold of that many cards is... a) you must allow the time to run out on your turn, thereby denying yourself the reinforcement phase & b) You MUST make certain sure that no other player, or combination of players, is able to take you out! Having 8 cards puts a B1G target on your back and is more than enough of a temptation to encourage an attack from pretty much every player left in the game!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Ah yes, a loophole. You must let the time run out. Very clever, I don't think I thought of that. I suspect that won't be fixed anytime soon either, but it's not meant to be part of the game either! I'll have to remember that.

Upvote 0

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
But it is useful in Real-time games, when you have just about enough time let to take out the opponent, but not to deploy your cashed reserves. it's very harsh to lose your cards by running out of time

Upvote 0

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
Ah yes, a loophole. You must let the time run out. Very clever, I don't think I thought of that. I suspect that won't be fixed anytime soon either, but it's not meant to be part of the game either! I'll have to remember that.

Amazed when something like this pops up that I had never even considered. Kudos!

Upvote 0

rob6483

Awesome Player
I'd always wondered about that! It seemed possible, but I've just never been brave enough to try it out for fear of losing reserves altogether. So now I'm curious... if I had four cards at the start of my turn, don't turn in, and take out someone with five cards, let the timer run out instead of cash in... then I should have 10 cards at the start of the next turn, right? I think this needs to be a race to see who can do it first! :vroam:

Upvote 0