• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Troop Containers

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
As far as how it is right now, I don't remember implementing the "memory" feature where it'll use your same color on the next game of same settings. I will need to check.
Really? Quite often I open a game and I am already White - probably 25% of the time - while at other times I'm not. If I'm fluking white that often, wow. Or maybe I'm just high.

RJ: I think the reason you see it that way is maybe because initial colors are based on join "slot". But after the game starts, all the players are shuffled for the sake of random turn order. Turn order does not (intentionally) equal your turn order. But I am not sure on this one either. I will need to dbl check
But would that explain why RJ's colors look different than Bodorties' colors in the same game? Turn order and join order should be the same for both of them, no? Curiouser and curiouser.

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Implemented on dev -works as we discussed in chat a couple weeks ago

-When you first play your first game on any given map with certain settings, the containers are assigned in order without consideration for the user's preference

-Map makers have explicit control of the order, without the need to prefix color names

-User can then change colors to whatever they like (same as now)

-For that specific game, the custom chosen colors will remain as they are last set for that game (same as now)

-Any subsequent games on the same map and settings will "remember" what your last troop container setup was, and implement it on the new game

-The only "settings" I use here are the Team setup and the objective. I didn't want it so granular that it was rendered useless (by differentiating on every single setting).
So, the colors are saved based on MapId,TeamSetup,Objective. None of the other game settings are considered. If you want to consider additional game settings for more granularity then let me know. I want it as general as possible while being as granular as necessary. For example, if the reinforcement type is different, do we want a whole different set of colors for that? I assumed not, but lemme know if I'm wrong.

-When the colors are saved it does so based on TurnSlot and if it is an ally/enemy/neutral.

-When a new game is started it will do its best to use the same colors on the same turn slots, but because the player's slot is likely different in each game, it is not always plausible. In these cases, the system makes educated guesses.

-We differentiate between enemy and friendly colors so that for team games, it doesn't use the turn slot number first. First, it makes sure that friendly colors are used on teammates and enemy colors are used on enemy teams. Then, it does its best to retain the turn slot order for colors but in (for example) a quads game with 12 players, and because of how turn slots are setup to be equal interval between teammates, it can be difficult to use the turn slot order effective for this purpose.

-YOUR color is not saved based on turn order... therefor, you will always be whatever color you last chose for yourself (on subsequent joined games with same map and settings)

-The same for neutral... whatever you last chose for neutral will be used in any subsequently joined games with same map and settings, regardless of turn order

Last edited:

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
man you're good.
This is as granular as I think we should go.
All looks like an improvement to me.

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
wow, this is EXACTLY how I was hoping it would turn out! Nice work E, sounds perfect.

warneke

Awesome Player
I think I'm having an anomalous user experience. I like to pick purple as my color. Its easy to see and its girly. I can't help it. However, no matter the map, I've never had a new game where ANYONE was ever assigned purple, including me.

I'm guessing there's some rule that says no one is assigned when a game starts purple and that's why I don't get the color-repeating treatment ya'll get. But, thought I should say something just in case.

(Oh, and why isn't pink a color to choose from?!)

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
I think I'm having an anomalous user experience. I like to pick purple as my color. Its easy to see and its girly. I can't help it. However, no matter the map, I've never had a new game where ANYONE was ever assigned purple, including me.

I'm guessing there's some rule that says no one is assigned when a game starts purple and that's why I don't get the color-repeating treatment ya'll get. But, thought I should say something just in case.

(Oh, and why isn't pink a color to choose from?!)

It only works on dev as it is a yet-t0-be-released-feature

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
In case War, or anyone else doesn't know, when Evan says "dev" he's referring to the development site, it's a separate site of MajCom where features are tested before moving to "prod" (production, where we are right now).