• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Tournaments

LordAdef

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Nice topic!

I reckon there a many things acting upon all this and I agree with everything that has already been said. I tend to join 1 or 2 torunaments at a time and am eagerly waiting for the "1000". That will be fantastic.

But the off the page big tournaments are very demanding and maybe have a bigger impact in the casual and torunaments games. I've seen comments like "I have too many games in the 1v1 big tour and am lowering my game count".

Another point is, I reckon, we may not be getting as many local advanced players as the growing site features are requiring. We sure had great new players coming in recently (Smi above is definitelly one of them, SamPaul and others), but we need more new good players in the equation

calume

Awesome Player
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
Matter of opinion on if there are better games in tournament vs casual. One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

For example, I make no bones about it, I like team games. I am usually selective about partners which takes months to years to get to know good people that you can count on. While I also tend to play team games in tournaments, it is defenitley not as much fun. End up playing with awol players or people you just dont get along with. Yuck

My question is till what is the issue? There are more tournaments. That is a statement. What issue is it causing that needs to be fixed?

Well, when it comes to team tourney games I have a different opinion, I find those fun and fair, the last 10 team tourney games I have set up had zero awol, of course they were small in number but myself I like the fact that team tourney are random and you get to play with different players, therefore you get to exchange strategy and advices. I believe after talking with many regular tourney players that there is many who feel the same way, some players like to set up casual team games so they get to team up with someone they know or someone they are friend with, that is fine. Myself personally I stay away from those, to face an all star line up you need to come up with an all star line up too, so not easy to get a few friends to fill all open spots at the same time on triples, quads, fivers and sixers, in order to be playing with selected partners, e-mails has to be send, a joining time has to be set so all open spots are taken at some given time. If joining casual team games and playing with some new unknown players then ending up playing with awol players or unexperience players is very likely, Yuck. Basically, tourneys are the first choice of several players and for no other reasons than being tourney palyers

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
So now, where to find the best team games. i can answer that one too.

Definitely not tournies. When rateye left the site, he was in dozens of games. A lot of team tournaments as well. I lost close to 100 points just by dropping out of tournies i was in with him just so i wouldnt have to deal with an awol player.

As for team team games in casual. (btw, could join borg to learn this strategy. bunch of generals play with noncoms to assist) But the characteristics of an all star player. for 6v6 or 12 v 12
1. Show up
2. Dont attack team mates
3. commands are usually useless, dont try for them. especially if you need to take out team mate
4. the TEAM targets 1 individual. read game chat to figure out who that is

Doesnt matter what rank you are as long as you follow the rules. They may seem simple. But getting 6 out of 6 or 12 out of 12 players to follow it is damn near impossible.

an "all star" team right now is getting their buts kicked hard right now on a crusade cause 1 player decided to do his own thing.

calume

Awesome Player
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
Rateye and BigJim have cost points to whoever was partner with them in many team games tourney as well as other games, refering about individuals for lost of points, well one has been banned the other no idea if still alive, stuff happens who knows?, could be tons of reasons to like or not to like, we both have different views but we both enjoy playing our type of games, suit yourself, I'll do the same, Cheers

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
Like that idea. Maybe we can do the same with tournaments that don't fill up witin a month.

I definitely don't agree with tourneys going poof after a while, though I guess I'm on the side where I'd rather there be less tournaments in total and kind of prefer a few larger ones with a few smaller ones to keep the pace going! I'm definitely a bit bias though, with being the creator of the controversial "1000" tourney ;p While that is what I prefer, if tournies kept getting joined and people are enjoying, winning and sharing points around then I'm definitely not going to push for my tournament vision to be put in place - I'm sure we all want something different, but what I want is only an opinion that I'm guessing wouldn't be shared by everyone!

And team games that are anything like 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 5v5, 6v6, 7v7, 8v8 etc. are definitely annoying to be as the first round, but personally I find a tourney like my "1000" tournament with 2v2v2v2v2 with AWOL players adding new strategies to the game! Of course it would be unfortunate to have AWOL players, but the new strategies include the remaining teams focusing on each other rather than the solo players, which gives the solo players a chance to rise up and take advantage of their almost immunity, if the game is played strategically by all. It's definitely an interesting dynamic. I won't argue they aren't disadvantaged, but without any proof, backup or statistics I would argue it doesn't disadvantage the solo players too much with the teams focusing more on each other and everyone focusing on the teams.

I do remember when tournaments used to feel special, though that might just have been because I was new to tournies, but I felt that there were a lot less tournaments! In less than three months 100 tournies have been made, which if that pace had been kept up since the very first tournament we would be well into our 2500th tournament around now, so there definitely are a lot more tournaments being made.

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
(My main point being that I have an opinion that is probably not shared by a majority, as long as people are playing and enjoying tournaments I don't think we should restrict or limit anything as long as nothing too extreme occurs!)

smi

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
the small tourneys dont effect the big ones tho... Im sure that the 1000 tour will be epic and its final will be watched by a lot of players and the final winner will get a lot of post in his/her profile ! If you want more special tournaments then we need to create (and fill) more tournaments with 30 or even 40+ players with well thought settings.

HOWEVER the number of small tours do not effect this at all... The players who spam small tournments (me included) do so for particular reasons, which i analized in my prev. post but they will surely join and hype the big ones! Im looking fowrward a lot to the 1000 tour

Roscokov

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
Hey Guys - My two-cents...

1) There are quite a lot of tourneys at the moment. However the majority of this last batch seem to be 8-12 players so have passed through mighty quick. Personally i think they should be a little bigger to be a proper tournament with a warm feeling inside for winning but i'll enter and take the points (??) anyway. (Smi kinda said this already)

2) I agree with smi - a large part of the reason i join tourneys is to play different games against players who understand the concept of the game.

3) One of the other main reasons i join tourneys is cause it let's me play team games against random people to collect those udo's (this is particularly relevant in fivers and sixers i think) so team games in any round gets a thumbs up from me (and i say this despite bigjim costing me 3 tournaments). I also agree with Calume - with the Allstar lineups in the majority of the fivers and sixers games it makes it a tough choice to join the waiting team - you just need one awol or newbie and the whole thing comes crashing down. (I am open to offers if anybody wants to invite me to an allstar team though ha).

4) I like how different organisers do their own things but maybe a limit of 2 open ones would be good per TO (except airwicks MOM ones) to keep things cleaner on that page. However i think a bigger issue than the large open list is the huge ongoing list. Some of those tournaments down the bottom have been stuck for ages and i found that quite off putting until i got into the swing of things and realised it didn't happen every time. (Double Dragon got stuck almost 2 years ago...)

5) I agree with Geoffreys point that all tournament games maybe do not feel special now, but i think once you get to a final everybody is focused - and i know i still feel some pressure in the larger ones because of the higher point reward.
I think this part boils down to the question i've seen asked a few times before - what is your aim in the game? tournament wins & udos - more tournaments the better - a high score and a fancy medal- you probably don't want to enter them all (maybe a new scoreboard showing win % in tournaments so those who don't enter every one can be on top of the leaderboard)

6) As a Strategist tournaments provide my only chance for playing 24 player or fixed force games which is a bonus (and also tempted me to upgrade next time because i enjoy them)- I do like the idea of removing those games from the search menu though. It's weird/rubbish seeing the same 50 games (which i can't play) come up each time i go into the find new game screen.

Overall - I agree with the - it doesn't seem broken and doesn't need fixing really. Very interesting discussion though and good to see how others view it.

That was longer than i thought it would be.:idea:

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
I also am a TO, but I haven't made a tourney in a couple of years, basically because, as Sensa said, there always seems to be quite a few in there. (Plus, yes, I also have had issues making good banners.)

I love to make banners, even sometimes I start a tourney by having a banner, I would agree to cooperate with the banner when the tournament idea is ready!!!

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Any update on peoples opinion of the amount of tourneys? As a TO, I generally look at the number of tourney's on the board waiting to fill and how full the current open tourneys are. If a lot of open tourneys have just a couple of open slots thats when I will create a few more.

At the moment I see on average around 10 open tourneys on the board waiting to fill, which I think is ok. Of that 10 there is a good number of different settings providing a good variety.