• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Taking out your own Partner

Pizzetto

Awesome Player
Taking out your partner in a team game might be a valid strategy in some remote cases. However, I find it unacceptable that you can gain reserves this way.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
i dunno, in my mind.. it's better to give them to your partner then to let the opposing team/s get those reserves...
but i agree, in remote cases.

Pizzetto

Awesome Player
Yes, understandable that you are preventing an opponent from getting the reserves. Profiting from it though, its just not in the spirit of team games.

coolname

Awesome Player
Perhaps there should be a question "You have been taken out by your partner. Was that part of your master plan YES/NO" (just like after diplomacy breaches)

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
If you can gain reserves by killing an enemy, you can gain reserves by killing a friend.
it makes sense to me.

it is like money $$$$$$
No matter where you got it, it is still worth something.

coolname

Awesome Player
Hmm, I just found out than in doubles mercenary game, you do have to kill of your partner (game #2954). Unfortunately, the partner getting killed will be me.... I think it is a bad rule.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Hmm, I just found out than in doubles mercenary game, you do have to kill of your partner (game #2954). Unfortunately, the partner getting killed will be me.... I think it is a bad rule.

What do you mean you HAVE to kill your partner. If only 1 team is left in a merc game, the game should be over.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
it's not a rule, it's a temporary solution to problem... eventually, it wont be such.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
What do you mean you HAVE to kill your partner. If only 1 team is left in a merc game, the game should be over.

its that bug, see, the one that makes merc doubles sucketh.. ;)

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers

No one disagrees with this statement except the game itself.

The only winning move is not to play...

or screw over your partner and kill them

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
i'd make an arrangement, i'd be like: "you let me kill you now, and i'll let you kill me in a 1 vs 1 game"... or something.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
We are making some changes to mercenary doubles which will solve these issues and offer a better point distribution.

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
i'd make an arrangement, i'd be like: "you let me kill you now, and i'll let you kill me in a 1 vs 1 game"... or something.

This opens a whole new can of worms, though. I know this is NOT CC, but the rule there makes a lot of sense.
JokerClub said:
"any gross abuse of the game is forbidden. This includes but is not limited to: throwing games or deliberately benefiting from thrown games..."
Without getting into too much detail, throwing games, even if made through a deal, goes against the spirit of the game. B/c then people are climbing in the scoreboard in ways that are deemed unfair by some, and then gray areas cloud the entire situation.

Regardless, I don't see why people would even WANT to play merc dubs...just play standard dubs!

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Regardless, I don't see why people would even WANT to play merc dubs...just play standard dubs!
Because merc dubs with 3 or 4 teams allows a team that ultimately loses to still gain points by killing another team.

Same reason to play singles merc. Get points even without an overall win.

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
Pfft, orbo and I played standard dubs and kicked some major ass. I guess the not-so-skilled can stick to their merc dubs...

;)

Pizzetto

Awesome Player
OK, we all know Merc doubles is messed up. That is not why I made this thread. I think killing a partner in a non merc game should be frowned upon. It is not in the spirit of a team game. Perhaps there should be some sort of game point penalty. If you win, but your team is not intact, you do not get nearly as many points for the win. People may play more like a team, and actually try to prop up an ailing friend, rather then eating them.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
OK, we all know Merc doubles is messed up. That is not why I made this thread. I think killing a partner in a non merc game should be frowned upon. It is not in the spirit of a team game. Perhaps there should be some sort of game point penalty. If you win, but your team is not intact, you do not get nearly as many points for the win. People may play more like a team, and actually try to prop up an ailing friend, rather then eating them.

i'm going to have to say, it's all a matter of opinion...
i think killing your partner, in a doubles game, et c.. is not really a big deal.
if you as a team, could not get ahead (the dice were incredibly cruel) in some cases, you almost have to kill your partner to avoid losing those potential troops for your 'team' and allowing another team to swipe them up.. it seems like, if you don't get those troops and attempt to win for your team, you're death is almost inevitable, otherwise.

some could say, NOT killing your teammate and keeping those reserves within your team would be like suicid'ing...

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
I think a change in terminology may resolve this issue. Lets not say that you are killing your team mate. Instead we can say...

You are assimilating your team mates forces and using their reserve assets.
or
You are merging your ally's forces under your command.
or
You are reliving the allied commander of duty to steamline the war operation and accelerate the reserve and training process.

All good?