• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Strategies for team (and regular) play

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
You guys are all relatively experienced players. Any advice for a noob? Not just on team play, but in general. There are some guides out there. Any that you recommend? I am a fairly analytical person. But I seem to just get confused by the whole mess. Help me out!

I understand that it deals alot with the map you're playing on. But I'm looking for more generic (non-map-specific) advice.

Let me tell you what I do now, and that'll give you a starting point for steering me in the right direction:

I try to hold commands that are easy to defend for the (usually small) bonuses they give
I tend to attack ppl that I think are weak, like those regions with only one army on them
I try to never have regions with only one army on them. With two armies, I know the force count will at least be even and I will have an advantage (due to ties)
I try to "divide and conquer", where it doesnt leave me too vulnerable myself.
i allow my "inner" regions to be weak (1 army), as long as I have strong forces surrounding them

And to summarize how that has worked out for me, I think I have lost every game I have played in.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
You're actually on the right track. One thing I've found to be true about playing risk is that it's about process, not result. Given the element of chance, even the best-laid plans can fall prey to dice, but if you're always looking for an edge, keeping your wits about you, and making good choices, you'll prevail more often than not. Another thing to bear in mind is that when it comes to singles, you're not going to win very often. My win% in 6-player escalating is probably around 20%, which isn't all that bad when you consider that the odds say you'll win 17% of 'em.

A major element that you're missing is the whole cost-benefit concept, which is where a lot of new players stumble. Imagine a 6-player escalating game. By the second round of cashing, reserves will be worth 20+. Thus, having Oceania at a +2 isn't quite as important as it would appear early in the game, especially if you have to fight off someone else for the command. Too often people get wrapped up in small bonuses and don't see the big picture. Of course, in any sort of head-to-head game, then it's zero-sum and you'll want to fight to the death over Oceania. It all depends on context.

One thing that might help is that if you have a specific game where you're unsure as to your move, e-mail me and I'll talk it over with ya.

Last edited:

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
From what I have played on teams, and observed, there is a tactic that I call "the swing". It involved reinforcing your team mate as much as possbile without jeopardizing your own position at the end of your turn. This allows your mate to have the most number of armies possible and at the end of their turn, they swing them back to you. This is espeically useful when you need extra troops to take out an opponent.

In general, it's very important to play the other players rather than playing the game. It may seem natural to take bonuses and being a powerhouse, but do it too early and people will gang up on you, just to survive. My strategies... appear weaker than you are, and complain about some other player being strong.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
Right on both counts, Bado. In teams, all other things being equal, it's best to fort whichever of your teammates plays after you (in trips and quads), ESPECIALLY with unlimited forts. And in singles, kinda lying in the weeds is a good strat for no reserves and flat rate games, which can go on for awhile. Escalating is a bit of a different kettle of fish, mostly because escalating is all about positioning, both on the map and # of cards. The very very best escalating players are like chess grand masters, they see the whole game from the word go. And before you ask, no, I'm not quite that good. :D

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
In escalating card games, assassin, and mercenary games you have to think very strategically about where you are on the board. Concentrating your troops in a region for a small bonus may not be as important as maintaining that one hanger-on in Asia, both to make it difficult for others to take you out and to maintain attack positions across the board. I've never had the patience to work out all of the scenarios in escalating games and calculate when I want to punt a turn and when to play my cards.

In team games an important factor is keeping in mind who goes after you and who goes after your partner. As player one, I have to be concerned about what player two is going to do - take out his bonus, defend against his attacks, make sure he can't take me or my partner out. If I do my job well, my partner (player three) can focus on the player immediately after him to make sure I'm in a strong position, etc.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
My strategies... appear weaker than you are, and complain about some other player being strong.

I agree. Works quite well.

And stay a bit spread out as Shep pointed out above

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
I am feeling like giving up. Maybe I will take a break. I just get my ass kicked regularly. Demoralizing. I literally was felling like people were ganging up on me. But then I looked through the log and realized that was not the case. I definitely need to try something different. Thats for sure.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
I am feeling like giving up. Maybe I will take a break. I just get my ass kicked regularly. Demoralizing. I literally was felling like people were ganging up on me. But then I looked through the log and realized that was not the case. I definitely need to try something different. Thats for sure.

I will say that the competition here right now is pretty fierce as many of us know what we are doing and have done it for years. You will get there, and there are always swings, I was once #1, now im #21 in a matter of days. When you get down, the last thing you want to do is make desperate bets and bids.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player

Don't give up, bro. This shit can have a reasonably steep learning curve, and don't forget that many of the people you're playing against have been playing this stuff for several years (or all their lives, in some cases).

If you're interested, let's team up in a doubles game, I can teach you a few tricks.

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Thanks for pointing out that I am playing extremely season people. That makes me feel a bit better. And thanks inca for the offer. If you dont mind me further screwing up your rankings with the losses we will accumulate, I will take you up on it.

in re-reading my post above, I was being a bit dramatic. I am just frustrated is all. I'm a sore loser it seems.

Valdus

Awesome Player
I bought the online book 'total diplomacy' and see where that gets me...