• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

So is it time to change the Classic Massive Eastern Europe Bonus?

Is it time to change the Eastern European bonus to match the rest?

• Yes, I think a bonus of 3 is appropriate

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yes, but I think 4 troops is actually what's needed

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • NO! Change makes me freak out!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Map makers put a lot of work into making their maps. A lot of it is creativity, but somethings, like command bonuses, are a lot more calculated and have some math formulas involved.

A general rule of thumb (but not completely adhered to, as shown below) is this formula that helps determine what a command bonus should be.

Command Bonus = (Number of Regions + Number of Borders with other Commands) * 0.4

As an Example: Looking at Classic Massive, Canada has 8 regions with 4 borders. So the Command Bonus should be 5 (which it is)

(8+4) * 0.4 = 4.8 troop bonus

So, while working on some new maps, I decided to do a spreadsheet of Classic Massive to compare how well this rule was adhered to.

As you can see below, most of the Commands are spot-on with what the formula would recommend, while the rest of the commands are just 1 troop off.

The glaring exception on this map is the command of Eastern Europe.

Eastern Europe has 5 territories and 4 borders, the exact same as United States, Western Russia, Andes, and Central Africa.

Those other 4 commands with the same stats, have a bonus of either 4 or 3 (for some reason). However, Eastern Europe has a measly bonus of only 2 troops.

And if you ever played Classic Massive, you intuitively know that trying to capture Eastern Europe was not necessary your first strategy.

So the question is - Is it finally time to give Eastern Europe the love and respect it deserves, and boost it's bonus to 3 (or even 4)?

I already think I know the answer, but let me know below what you think!

Classic Massive.PNG

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Just curious....what's the formula how many neutrals in a 1v1 game? In general that is?

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Just curious....what's the formula how many neutrals in a 1v1 game? In general that is?

I'm 90% sure the current rule is 20% neutrals in a 1v1 game. Though I'm not sure 100% sure if there are any exceptions!

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
this is sth i have been wondering too. and whether maybe - at some point - it would be possible to have an option during game set-up to tweak such numbers / percentages. the # of neutrals works generally well for most games, but if it was possible f. ex. to have a (2 player) game on classic evolved with only 1 starting terr each - that would create a very different dynamic. not saying this would better (and 2 terrs only is an extreme example), but could be nice to have the option, particularly for 2 player games, where drop can decide so much. such an option would not be useful for every map really, and it should definitely be an advanced feature (it could maybe break games too). maybe sth to unlock when you upgrade your user class (like fixed force games)? but i do think it could bring variety to the maps & possibly create some interesting games for those willing to experiment. maps like 12d & land rush are designed around first working against neutrals, but there are multiple bonuses that mitigate this feeling like a shore. maybe this is not always needed?

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
classic evolved with only 1 starting terr each
I played in a bunch of games similar to this over the years, via 4p games where 2 players AWOLed. Definitely fun and exciting, cat and mouse type action.

RE: Original question
Definitely seems like the bonus could be at least 3. All other regions with 4 borders have a bonus of at least 3.

matildathehun

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
I love that people are thinking so closely about this!

I voted that yes, 4 armies makes sense given the surrounding commands. But that may prompt adjustments in other commands...

For example, I'd suggest that Scandinavia and Indo-China should also be increased to +2 from +1, based on all the arguments for Eastern Europe (primarily, that there are so many entryways to the command, i.e. four).

However, I'd keep New Zealand and Korea/Japan at +1 since both only have two entryways.

My two cents.

-MTH

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I love that people are thinking so closely about this!

I voted that yes, 4 armies makes sense given the surrounding commands. But that may prompt adjustments in other commands...

For example, I'd suggest that Scandinavia and Indo-China should also be increased to +2 from +1, based on all the arguments for Eastern Europe (primarily, that there are so many entryways to the command, i.e. four).

However, I'd keep New Zealand and Korea/Japan at +1 since both only have two entryways.

My two cents.

-MTH

Actually I think you're right about Indochina going up to 2.

I'm weary about changing more than that at the moment.