• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Seeking gameplay experts for new feature.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
So one problem people ultimately have with dice games is that there is luck involved. Sometimes too much luck which removed some of the strategy.

Well we here at MajCom have gone through our share of ridiculous rolls and wanted to offer an option that eliminates dice all together. It would be called Fixed Force.

But we recognize that we may not have the best answers, so we wanted to invite a few individuals to participate in brainstorming and strategically thinking about how to create a well balanced and simple Fixed Force model. If you want to help, let me know in this thread.

We are specifically looking for people who know enough about how this game is played to be able to extrapolate how a rule variant like this can affect the game.

Robinette

omigod, totally bitchen, furshur, furshur
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
cartoon-expert.jpg

Robinette

omigod, totally bitchen, furshur, furshur
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
am i really the only one?

LonelyTitle.jpg

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
I'll send out a dispatch. maybe folks are intimidated!

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
I don't know about expert, but I've been in a couple games and I'd like to help.

Also, just to throw something out there right off the bat, I believe in Settlers of Catan they have something like dice rolls, but on cards. So instead of rolling the dice, you have to prioritize the cards you use in order to maximize the "rolls" you get. I don't know much about it, I was just talking about it with someone briefly the other day.

So some set # of 1-6's, based on the # of offensive troops (armies - territories) you have, and that "regenerate" at a certain rate per turn.

Last edited:

bstew

Awesome Player
I'd be happy to contribute any way I can. Generally its really difficult to estimate the effects of a rules change and then the second and third order effects on strategy, but I'm glad to try!

diogenes

Awesome Player
I'd like to contribute too...but is the brainstorming supposed to happen on this thread or elsewhere?

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
elsewhere... details coming shortly

RedBridgeBeach

Awesome Player
This sounds interesting, finally banishing the freakin' dice from the game! I've played my share of Diplomacy but this sounds like something different... and worth a shot.

freebiescrap

Awesome Player
This game is far too simple to remove the dice completely. I'd love to see that happen, but I really think it's impossible with this simple rules. Where would the advantage come from if, for example, 8 attackers would always defeat 4 defenders? What can be done is the reduction of the role of luck by increased roles (the law of large numbers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers). The simplest way to do that would be to have 9 roles per troop fighting and best of 5 wins (or any number of roles you see fit). The more rolls you put per troop fighting, the less luck there would be in the game, but the defender advantage grows with increased number of rolls. To reduce the defender's advantage, you could get bigger dice (10 sided dice for example).

/off topic
If you are looking further into innovation, another idea (but quite a lot of work to make it balanced) would be the creation of scenarios. The territories would be assigned non-randomly, with some players having an advantage in territories, but some others would have +1 to their die rolls in attack (or some starting reserves, etc.) /off topic

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Ok, requested users now have access to the Fixed force Subforum, check it out.

This game is far too simple to remove the dice completely. I'd love to see that happen, but I really think it's impossible with this simple rules. Where would the advantage come from if, for example, 8 attackers would always defeat 4 defenders? What can be done is the reduction of the role of luck by increased roles (the law of large numbers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers). The simplest way to do that would be to have 9 roles per troop fighting and best of 5 wins (or any number of roles you see fit). The more rolls you put per troop fighting, the less luck there would be in the game, but the defender advantage grows with increased number of rolls. To reduce the defender's advantage, you could get bigger dice (10 sided dice for example).

/off topic
If you are looking further into innovation, another idea (but quite a lot of work to make it balanced) would be the creation of scenarios. The territories would be assigned non-randomly, with some players having an advantage in territories, but some others would have +1 to their die rolls in attack (or some starting reserves, etc.) /off topic

It can be done, let me know if you want to offer solutions or have ideas.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Here is an idea I found online.
I would like to be added as well to the group discussion.

~~~~
The startup is unchanged. Still, all countries are divided between the players, and armies are spread about those countries, with a minimum of one and a maximum of four. Also, still assignments are handed out, or one plays for the world. At the start of a turn, the player gets a armies for bonus-lands. Bonus-lands are those lands, that are completely surrounded by the players' own countries. These armies must be placed at the start of the turn. He can then either pass or attack.

Pass
~~~~
If a player passes, he gets extra armies for each three countries he owns, with a minimum of three. He can place them wherever he wants, but is NOT allowed to move any armies. A player can of course only pass at the start of his turn. As soon as he attacks one country, with at least one army, the turn counts as an 'attack'.

Attack
~~~~~~
From one or more countries, the player moves armies to an enemy country. Armies are exchanged 1-to-1. No country may be without armies at all times. After an attack, extra armies can be moved from the attacking country to the defeated country. At the end of a turn, the attacking player is allowed to move every army across one border to an adjacent (own) country, as long as at least one army remains in each country. If you conquered at least one country, you get a 'country-card'.

Country-cards
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the crux to great tactical play. Country-cards can be used as instant-armies, at ANY time in the game. You don't need three cards th
at fit, each card is worth 4 (for a cannon), 6 (soldier) or 8 (cavalry) armies. The cards can be used as extra defence, during an attack, or during negotiations. I won't get into this in more detail, the fun is in finding out what the possibilities are of this change. However, it is good to notice, that offensive play is now far more lucrative than 'digging in and collect armies', since each time you conquer at least one country, you get a card worth of at least four armies!

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
yeah you should post that int he forum

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
I'm happy to join in the discussion.
-Chilly

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
I too, am willing to help. With thousands of games of CC under my belt, I think I know a thing or two about Risk : )

grifftron

Awesome Player
Here is an idea I found online.
I would like to be added as well to the group discussion.

~~~~
The startup is unchanged. Still, all countries are divided between the players, and armies are spread about those countries, with a minimum of one and a maximum of four. Also, still assignments are handed out, or one plays for the world. At the start of a turn, the player gets a armies for bonus-lands. Bonus-lands are those lands, that are completely surrounded by the players' own countries. These armies must be placed at the start of the turn. He can then either pass or attack.

Pass
~~~~
If a player passes, he gets extra armies for each three countries he owns, with a minimum of three. He can place them wherever he wants, but is NOT allowed to move any armies. A player can of course only pass at the start of his turn. As soon as he attacks one country, with at least one army, the turn counts as an 'attack'.

Attack
~~~~~~
From one or more countries, the player moves armies to an enemy country. Armies are exchanged 1-to-1. No country may be without armies at all times. After an attack, extra armies can be moved from the attacking country to the defeated country. At the end of a turn, the attacking player is allowed to move every army across one border to an adjacent (own) country, as long as at least one army remains in each country. If you conquered at least one country, you get a 'country-card'.

Country-cards
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the crux to great tactical play. Country-cards can be used as instant-armies, at ANY time in the game. You don't need three cards th
at fit, each card is worth 4 (for a cannon), 6 (soldier) or 8 (cavalry) armies. The cards can be used as extra defence, during an attack, or during negotiations. I won't get into this in more detail, the fun is in finding out what the possibilities are of this change. However, it is good to notice, that offensive play is now far more lucrative than 'digging in and collect armies', since each time you conquer at least one country, you get a card worth of at least four armies!

very interesting WM. My first game experience on MC was a 12 losing to a 4... not my fav kind of intensity cubes... dice dice dice! to see something diff would def. be fun.