• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Russia

OneEyed

Awesome Player
I found one my old draft and redraw it.
Russia is great, powerful country which maybe deserve place here :).

the regions are not as original ones, I must somewhere to split small ones to one larger. also Crimea is only district, but I added it to Southern district.

bonuses are for huge discusion, I think :)

updated version without railway and with airports
rusko13.png

brief
rusko13briefmaly.png

updated version with arctic sea routes and some other changes.
rusko8.png

brief
rusko8briefmaly.png

older versions:
rusko6.png

brief
Bez_n_zvu.png

OneEyed

Last edited:

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
My first thought is that it seems too linear (left to right).

The Railway does help with that a bit, but that is my initial take on it.

Perhaps some Arctic sea ports as well?

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I like the idea of a Russian map. I don't think we have one of those yet....

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
My first thought is that it seems too linear (left to right).

The Railway does help with that a bit, but that is my initial take on it.

Perhaps some Arctic sea ports as well?

Sea ports that connect, or airports, or something to reduce the linearity.

OneEyed

Awesome Player
I could delete mountains between Orenburg and Chelyabinsk what gives next way throught Ural.
the arctic sea routes are good idea and I will add them there.

thanks for ideas.

OneEyed

smi

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
How about spicing it up with +1 autodeploy in some areas, without changing the map, similar to how the mars map works
ideas are:
-space port
-kremlin
-nuclear factory
-oil rig
-reasearch facility

OneEyed

Awesome Player
How about spicing it up with +1 autodeploy in some areas, without changing the map, similar to how the mars map works
ideas are:
-space port
-kremlin
-nuclear factory
-oil rig
-reasearch facility

I thought about +1 autodeploy to stations, but I would like to have simple gameplay. the autodeploy could blocks map in some places, I am afraid.

OneEyed

OneEyed

Awesome Player
updated version with arctic sea routes and some other changes.
rusko8.png

brief
rusko8briefmaly.png

OneEyed

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Well, I like this better than your other ideas. it's more straightforward. I especially like the icebreaker that bleeds troops.

Two things I don't like:
(1) the way some commands span the entire map, north to south. It cuts the map in half.
(2) the idea of railways allowing somebody to bypass a region. It's unrealistic to think that you could travel on a train for hundreds of miles through enemy territory and then attack on the other end. What about incorporating the rail lines as bonuses?

Again, we get into some game engine issues. The bonus structure that you have for Ural and Central is impossible. We could code all of the possible combinations of 5 as +2, but then if you held all six regions you would get +12.

Do you have a time period in mind? The importance of trains makes it feel very Doctor Zhivago, Russian Civil War. But I think the map as you have presented it is more modern. The two seem incongruous; would trains be militarily important in post Soviet era Russia? Personally I think the Russian Revolution map would be more interesting, thematically. (But then, I am the history buff.)

OneEyed

Awesome Player
Well, I like this better than your other ideas. it's more straightforward. I especially like the icebreaker that bleeds troops.

I like a little bit complex maps, but this one I like with basic gameplay. a little bit spiced.
Two things I don't like:
(1) the way some commands span the entire map, north to south. It cuts the map in half.

not from west to east? by the way, it is how Russia is divided. :)
(2) the idea of railways allowing somebody to bypass a region. It's unrealistic to think that you could travel on a train for hundreds of miles through enemy territory and then attack on the other end. What about incorporating the rail lines as bonuses?

the Trans-Siberian railway is there for better connection mainly between European part and Asian part. and also for more connections in Asian part. Trans-Siberian railways has just several stations, not in each region. maybe I could kick off it and add some important airports connected across all map?
Again, we get into some game engine issues. The bonus structure that you have for Ural and Central is impossible. We could code all of the possible combinations of 5 as +2, but then if you held all six regions you would get +12.

ok. just now I 100% understand how this works, thanks.
Do you have a time period in mind? The importance of trains makes it feel very Doctor Zhivago, Russian Civil War. But I think the map as you have presented it is more modern.

yes it is modern Russia. and Trans-Siberian railway is still very important.
The two seem incongruous; would trains be militarily important in post Soviet era Russia?

its importance is bigger as commercial, travel and tourism as military :). but I see that you hate it, will replace it by airports :))
Personally I think the Russian Revolution map would be more interesting, thematically. (But then, I am the history buff.)

yes, Russian civil war could be great map. but there would be just European part of Russia with complex gameplay. and with railway importance :). my idea is to do map of whole Russia, the civilwar could be next step (as there is USA map and Mexican-American war).
I can start think about Russian civil war, but as Crusader States (which is upgraded, btw) also this map I made as drafts time ago and now I just redraw them.

thanks for your ideas.

OneEyed

Last edited:

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Hi OneEyed!

Please don't let Shepherd's criticism stop you from developing you ideas. I think the Trans-Siberian Railway is still important, and knowing Russian geography, it is very well possible to travel through enemy territory without even noticing it, since you're in the middle of nowhere most of the time.

The three commands that span all of Russia from North to South are like that IRL, and you have the four commands that don't do that in the West. It is true that once you have Amur and Yakutia (Sakha), the East is yours, but the Ice Breakers do alleviate that threat again, as does the four border region Siberian West. It ain't easy to hold onto Siberia if you haven't got the Far East, but that's like the cities in the UK map. You might want to include St. Petersburg and Moscow as city windows?

An idea would be to divide Urals into South Urals (Chelyabinsk, Kurgan and Tyumen) and North Urals (Yamalo-Nenets, Khanty-Mansi and Sverdlovsk)?

As for the names, I would strongly suggest you change Leningrad to St. Petersburg and Sverdlovsk to Ekaterinburg if you're trying to depict current Russia....

And what is 'N.N.' - Nizhnii Novgorod?

OneEyed

Awesome Player
Hi OneEyed!

Please don't let Shepherd's criticism stop you from developing you ideas. I think the Trans-Siberian Railway is still important, and knowing Russian geography, it is very well possible to travel through enemy territory without even noticing it, since you're in the middle of nowhere most of the time.

ha, what a post, what a support :). your notice about "middle of nowhere" hit the nail :)
The three commands that span all of Russia from North to South are like that IRL, and you have the four commands that don't do that in the West.

understand now. yes, but no one of these commands is easy to secure. I think that sea routes and Trans-siberian railway also help for better movability.
It is true that once you have Amur and Yakutia (Sakha), the East is yours, but the Ice Breakers do alleviate that threat again, as does the four border region Siberian West. It ain't easy to hold onto Siberia if you haven't got the Far East, but that's like the cities in the UK map.

you forgot that to hold Far Eastern bonus you need also secure Khabarovsk (connection via railway from Chita) and also Chukotka (but there is decay icebreaker).
You might want to include St. Petersburg and Moscow as city windows?

no. the European part is divided enough. and if there could be such cities there must be also some in Asian part.
An idea would be to divide Urals into South Urals (Chelyabinsk, Kurgan and Tyumen) and North Urals (Yamalo-Nenets, Khanty-Mansi and Sverdlovsk)?

I try to be accurate as possible. and can not see reason for this.
As for the names, I would strongly suggest you change Leningrad to St. Petersburg and Sverdlovsk to Ekaterinburg if you're trying to depict current Russia....

the names are according regions, not cities. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Oblast https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverdlovsk_Oblast
And what is 'N.N.' - Nizhnii Novgorod?

yes.

OneEyed

smi

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
Guys sorry, but there is no way an entire army can travel hundrents of km via railroad and not get detected.

As a note: the south america map solves this problem via conquerable rivers

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
These are just ideas, but what if you put an airport in the principle city of each region and allowed them to connect to each other. This would bring the southern and far eastern parts of the map back into close contact with each other. You could also do a hub/spoke system of airlines. But make sure there are at least two hubs so that one city (Moscow) isn't over-emphasized in importance.

If you do this, I would leave the railway on as background scenery (muted) but not use it as gameplay feature.

You still could do the icebreakers if you want, but I suspect depending on the airports, it would be of decreased interests.

Also, a Russian Revolution map would be cool, or Winter War map with Finland added.

OneEyed

Awesome Player
Guys sorry, but there is no way an entire army can travel hundrents of km via railroad and not get detected.

As a note: the south america map solves this problem via conquerable rivers

please note, that this is map about Russia without any war theme.
but during Russian civil war in 1918-1920 the CzechoSlovak legions traveled by train without controling area, they controled just railway.

also Trans-Siberian railway does not have station in each region throught it runs.

OneEyed

smi

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
please note, that this is map about Russia without any war theme.
but during Russian civil war in 1918-1920 the CzechoSlovak legions traveled by train without controling area, they controled just railway.

also Trans-Siberian railway does not have station in each region throught it runs.

OneEyed

Yeah, they didnt control the whole area, they still controlled the railway area tho, so in our game it could be like the rivers in south-america map? I just find it weird to "teleport" attack via railway, passing thought enemy territory

A fun fact about the Czechoslovak legion: they returned home around the world , throught Vladivostok port
http://www.radio.cz/en/section/czechs/the-czechoslovak-legions-myth-reality-gold-and-glory

OneEyed

Awesome Player
These are just ideas, but what if you put an airport in the principle city of each region and allowed them to connect to each other. This would bring the southern and far eastern parts of the map back into close contact with each other. You could also do a hub/spoke system of airlines. But make sure there are at least two hubs so that one city (Moscow) isn't over-emphasized in importance.

well, airports look as the last solution if railway will not works. I have any idea about them, but at the first I will try solve railway problem.
You still could do the icebreakers if you want, but I suspect depending on the airports, it would be of decreased interests.

if there will be airplains icebreakers will be out of importance.
Also, a Russian Revolution map would be cool, or Winter War map with Finland added.

yes. and much more ideas :)
Russia map and Crusaders States map was made relatively quick because I had old drafts and just redraw them. the next thing is that Shepherd several times contains my effort, nobody knows when will next map will in game.

Yeah, they didnt control the whole area, they still controlled the railway area tho, so in our game it could be like the rivers in south-america map? I just find it weird to "teleport" attack via railway, passing thought enemy territory

maybe I could do something.
A fun fact about the Czechoslovak legion: they returned home around the world , throught Vladivostok port
http://www.radio.cz/en/section/czechs/the-czechoslovak-legions-myth-reality-gold-and-glory

I know it, I am from Slovakia, one part of former CzechoSlovakia :)

OneEyed

PS: I found several notices that command in eastern part of map could cut the map. I do not think so. there are a lot of connections. for example if you look at Classic Massive if player holds Antartica command the whole southern route is closed. in Brittish Isles Cardiff city (inset) has just one way out throught Glamorgan. in Cold War Europe by holding France you block entire Iberia. in Far East Asia Mongolia is "besieged" with just two regions of China.

all these things happen, its topography, politican division, history.

Last edited:

OneEyed

Awesome Player
because railway had a little support and I did not found enough space to make it good, I added airports to the map. I think they made map more open with more movability.
rusko13.png

brief
rusko13briefmaly.png

OneEyed

PS: railwy will be implemneted in Russian civil war map. (once time maybe :p)

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I love how the map is coming together oneeyed. Someone will most likely comment that the airports are random or some crap, to which I say and who cares...

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
Just read the thread and enjoyed it very much. I look forward to a completed version. OneEyed seems to see things clearly with have the vision of the rest of us. Trying for a funny pun, but really good work OneEyed:hello: OneEyed