• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Rules of The MetaGame

namelochil

Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
Airplanes and parachutes, I think. (Or maybe Imperial walkers?)

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Putting a country under siege stops them being able to attack adjacent territories with a normal, surprise or blitz attack. However, the stormtroopers and Nuke attack are still available to a team under siege.

Think of it as if it was real life, the small covert tactical unit could easily slip out of the country on a plane and infiltrate a territory of their choosing. Or, if they felt their back was up against the wall they could always nuke you back to the stoneage with the press of a button.

ne4osu1970

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
That makes sense and was thinking that. I guess we didn't think it through and thought since they were under siege they wouldn't be able to counter.

trailblazer

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Spaceballs
This could be good. I could easily represent a territory's defensive force on the meta map by drawing in the number on the container, just like in our normal games. I prefer that over the downgrade system. It would add another strategical consideration to the game.
On further reflection, I have one tweak to this proposal ...

The game currently has a countdown to the start of the round and then a second 24 hour countdown to the end of the attack orders phase.

With the inclusion of defence moves, I propose each round instead begins with 24 hours prior to the START of posting your defence orders, followed by a second countdown of 24 hours to the END of posting your defence orders, then a third countdown prior to the START of posting your attack orders, followed by a fourth countdown to the END of posting your attack orders.

The third 24 hour countdown between the end of defence orders and the start of attack orders would allow:
(1) masterjskye time to update the metamap with any defensive forces being played and
(2) team members to consult with each other about any changes to their attack plans they want to make due to the defensive forces now in play for that round.

To help teams keep track of the various countdowns, especially while they are getting used to them, I propose having the following displayed on the first page of the Metagame:

- Defence phase begins in:
- Defence phase ends in:
- Attack phase begins in:
- Attack phase ends in:

Whichever 24 hour countdown we were on would then be displayed on the relevant line, while the other lines would be blank.

Last edited:

marc369

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Anyone else think that the time to get moves in could be changed to make things more fair? I normally have to set out for work at 19:00 GMT so cannot make moves, I am sure other players are in bed or unable to make moves also could the times be changed every round to give everyone a chance to get the moves in they wish? Just an idea, not a criticism as I can only guess at the effort you have put in to this Master.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
While I agree in theory with you marc, I don't think there is one time that is good for everyone, considering that we are spread all over the globe. I think this is 'as good as it gets', noon pacific for USA, early evening in Europe.

hat7rick

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
yes but it would be more fair if the time changed each time .. so that different people are accommodated. personally I like it how it is because it is convenient for me, however I agree with Marc

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
That's a reasonable idea. Any suggestions as to what might be other times that are good for as many people as possible?

hat7rick

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
how about 0.00 GMT ? I doubt anyone here sleeps before midnight especially on a friday so europe should be fine

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
I object - that's 01:00 for me and 02:00 for my partner and I have small kids, and cannot stay awake until 01:00.....

Sorry :)

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
how about 0.00 GMT ? I doubt anyone here sleeps before midnight especially on a friday so europe should be fine

The question is: if you are awake at midnight on a Friday night, are you sober? :)
The first deadline hit us with dorcee at 3 or 4 a.m. if I remember well... hm, my point is that actually I don't remember that well... ricewine.

But there is just a few of us in this game, what if we all write our timezones, and then maybe we can find a time that's suitable for everyone.

So Sebrim and smi are in GMT+1 and GMT+2, right now we are also in GMT+1.

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
Cards and I are both GMT-7

Personally, I think a good solution for the future would be to pick a time for the first turn, and then roll the deadlines forward 5 (or 7) hours for each subsequent turn. Everyone can deal with the inconvenience (or convenience) at some point and that can be part of the metagame.

BadElmer

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
GMT -5 here; another suggestion could be to order the turns based on least turn orders available (or something like that) or just randomly or revolving and we would all have 24 hours to get orders in but timing within that 24 hours would not be critical.

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
I am on GMT and I believe Namelochil is on GMT -5. I will think about this for the next round but 19.00 tomorrow still stands. I do think that is an alright time but let's see what we can figure out with each others timezones.

I will add another suggestion to the mix. Picking the time the next round kicks off could be a reward for the team that performs the best in the previous round. That could be ascertained by using win counts, or win percentages of the previous round, or simply the team that takes the most territories.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I will add another suggestion to the mix. Picking the time the next round kicks off could be a reward for the team that performs the best in the previous round. That could be ascertained by using win counts, or win percentages of the previous round, or simply the team that takes the most territories.

Maybe for the next game that would be good, but I think in this game, it would favor your team, master, and mine to give it to the team that takes the most territories. Those that start with the most move orders are more likely to take more territories in the next round. Simple percentages would perhaps favor those who aren't doing that well right now. Someone with only 1 game in the next round could easily achieve 100%, whereas for the 2 teams with most move orders, (and presumably most games next round) that would be much more difficult to achieve.

If we are going to make any changes at all in this game, I would favor Chilly's idea of rotating it up a certain number or hours every round. The same degree of fairness (or unfairness) for everyone.

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
I'd personally rather just find an appropriate time for everyone and leave it at that, because having it kick off when half the players are in their beds for 8-12 more hours doesn't really make sense to me. If anything I would favour making it earlier in the day rather than later.

namelochil

Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
I'd personally rather just find an appropriate time for everyone and leave it at that, because having it kick off when half the players are in their beds for 8-12 more hours doesn't really make sense to me. If anything I would favour making it earlier in the day rather than later.

Yeah. If we change it at all, it makes most sense to do it earlier. Would it help any of you if we shifted it like 2 hours earlier? Marc?

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
I have moved the discussion about timezones over here.

trailblazer

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Spaceballs
Yeah. If we change it at all, it makes most sense to do it earlier. Would it help any of you if we shifted it like 2 hours earlier? Marc?

I object - that's 17:00 hrs for me and as I have kids, I will still be out with my daughter at that time at her after school activities.

Sorry :)

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
I would still be out at work at 17.00 too, so I would also object.