• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Rigged Games?

Thunderous

Ambassador
Awesome Player
This is a message left in game 2523 by mahol. "mahol - Guys, I am out. Starting to get disillusioned with MC. Games seem rigged. Enjoy!" i know there not rigged but you may want to look at it or ask him why he thinks its rigged?

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
This is a message left in game 2523 by mahol. "mahol - Guys, I am out. Starting to get disillusioned with MC. Games seem rigged. Enjoy!" i know there not rigged but you may want to look at it or ask him why he thinks its rigged?

i spoke with him this morning vis a vie notes, he wants his account deleted..
he feels that the site is rigged because people are dropping huge numbers of troops...
i looked into the situation and it is apparent he's playing a lot of games against much higher ranked players that know their stuff...
i explained he may want to learn the game by playing 1 on 1's with seasoned players, i suggested a game with Bado or Inca...
he's not interested and says his reasons for leaving are he feels the game is unfair.

bottom line, he admits to knowing little about the game and doesn't want to take the time to learn it...expects an easy win... and thinks when someone beats him in a game that it 'must be rigged'.. i suggested he give the site a better chance, speak to Bado or another seasoned player.. and try and learn the ins and outs of game play.. but he's not interested. not much we can really do in this situation...

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
Ghost, isn't it your duty as greeter to search out the noobs, join all their games, and let them win! :p

I can imagine it would be hard to just jump into a site like this if you've never played anything similar before, but to give up so quickly is kinda weak.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
Ghost, isn't it your duty as greeter to search out the noobs, join all their games, and let them win! :p

I can imagine it would be hard to just jump into a site like this if you've never played anything similar before, but to give up so quickly is kinda weak.

i totally agree.. i gave him several opportunities to get a better grasp on the game.. he's simply not interested. it's likely for the best.

Last edited:

Congentiatos

Awesome Player
i totally agree.. i have him several opportunities to get a better grasp on the game.. he's simply not interested. it's likely for the best.

Guys, I am impressed you even took the time to follow-up and Ghost you seem to have offer plenty of chances to resolve the issues...bottom-line great customer service...that is why MC will be a great gaming site...users who do not want to take the time to learn and/or share will never be happy. Thunderous thanks for taking the time to share the comment you found...I would add I was already surprised we even had a "site greeter"; but it does help keep situations like the one identified here to a minimum I think.

Thanks,
Cogen

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
Guys, I am impressed you even took the time to follow-up and Ghost you seem to have offer plenty of chances to resolve the issues...bottom-line great customer service...that is why MC will be a great gaming site...users who do not want to take the time to learn and/or share will never be happy. Thunderous thanks for taking the time to share the comment you found...I would add I was already surprised we even had a "site greeter"; but it does help keep situations like the one identified here to a minimum I think.

Thanks,
Cogen

thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Well losing sucks. And no doubt people will leave the site just because they can't win. This doesn't mean we should let them go without a fight.

A few things to mitigate this issue are

1. Upon their first loss, send them an automated note of consolidation. Let them know that most people lose 5 or so games before winning.

2. Direct them to some resources on how to get better. A good wiki article would be called "How come I keep losing?" which goes over some mistakes people get into when they are new. Like not knowing how to play Escalating games.

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
Bado, you should be the one to write such a consolation (or consolidation) note, your messed up grammar and spelling should give them a sense of superiority and hopefully coax them back. :eek:)

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
Bado, you should be the one to write such a consolation (or consolidation) note, your messed up grammar and spelling should give them a sense of superiority and hopefully coax them back. :eek:)

roflmfao...
Bado's poor spelling is what keeps me alive! without it, i have nobody to constantly correct & no real path in life. :p

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
My spelling is quite good, my typing is poor for the simple fact that i don't look at the screen when typing. Even though I can touch type just fine... for some reason i look at the keyboard, and don't catch any errors.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
2. Direct them to some resources on how to get better. A good wiki article would be called "How come I keep losing?" which goes over some mistakes people get into when they are new. Like not knowing how to play Escalating games.

Now that's a good idea...

allurbass

Awesome Player
The games are rigged, Bado told me that troops strike twice as hard if you hold down shift key when you roll.

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
uuddlrlrba

make you invincible

Thunderous

Ambassador
Awesome Player

Thanks,
Cogen

Yeah, the whole greeting/customer service thing made me want to report this. when you find a community of people that value there players, greet them with a real message (not an automated one), then you kinda want to give back to the community and help it grow. :) so good job Ghost and the team on that front:)

Well losing sucks. And no doubt people will leave the site just because they can't win. This doesn't mean we should let them go without a fight.

A few things to mitigate this issue are

1. Upon their first loss, send them an automated note of consolidation. Let them know that most people lose 5 or so games before winning.

I like the idea of the message after they lose, but not the automated part. you have a good thing going with Ghost welcoming people to the site, i dont think you should change that approch. one thing you could is when the person does lose, send their name to an internal forum, and then get someone out of a team of dedicated people, to send a message telling then that you usally lose the first five, show and then to the wiki artical and offer to help them like ghost does when you join up.

i have just finish my final year of schooling in australia and i did business studies, we learnt to differiate the market, which is basically finding the difference between you and your compeditors. you have different and unique approch with welcoming your new people compared to other stratagy gaming websites, you also have great well made unique maps, you should try do the same for other aspects of the website if you can, this is way more atractive and personal than the other webites and their automatic messages. To go on, do you prefer to get the automated messages machine when you ring you bank or telephone company, or do you prefer to speak to a real person, same applies for the internet (or majcom in this example) if you have a different unique approch to the website, the people with flock!

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Good points Thunderous. Keep in mind that individual attention does not scale well. We only have a few new members a day right now, but when we were public we have between 100-150, this took up no small part of ghost's day. Adding a personal message upon losing would multiply that significantly.

There needs to be a balance between personal and automation. The message one would receive upon losing would be the same for everyone essentially, so automation makes sense, but replies to that message would of course be personalized.

The goal is to engage the user before they get the chance to disengage.

Atlas-shrugged

Awesome Player
There is a website devoted to teaching the finer points of the game called http://www.totaldiplomacy.com/ . While they are trying to sell a book it is quite helpful for all player levels . They also have surveys and talk about all the online clones . This may be seen as sending them to other Risk clones ,but I see it as being a good neighbor. And healthy for the site just as at my own business when a customer needs help I send them where I would send a friend and this increases goodwill for me too.

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
I do believe he may have stumbled into one of my trickier ones actually. He did not seem happy.

Thing is, after watching me play just one, and watching carefully, any player can simply learn from that one game and beat me on the next one given all other things being equal. Its actually surprisingly easy given the effect of luck of dice, drop and turn.

It does however take thought, and sometimes quite a bit of it, and work. A perfect move takes time. If you dont think about it, or dont put the time in, its impossible to expect to win, and you shouldnt even want to win.

The game is only fun because it does take some thought to win. If it didnt, it wouldnt be a game. It would be a coin toss...and many are that anyways.

I myself dont love losing too much, but when I get to watch someone play a perfect game, especially coming from behind, where I have to fight with everything I have, there is nothing better...win or lose.

Last edited: