• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

real time games

eml

Awesome Player
this site is turning to garbage- playing a real time game is just a race for the clock as you cant move ahead. New Sherriff- i propose you stop all real time gaming until the site is reasonably playable.

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
What do you mean by - "race for the clock as you cant move ahead"?

Would it help if all RT game were 5 minute turns?

Upvote 0

rob6483

Awesome Player
I'm not so sure. Some nights I've played, it can take a full minute from the time you click "Start Turn" to being able to deploy, and then 10-30 seconds per deploy/attack/reinforce move. And you basically miss a turn if something freezes and you have to reload the page. It seems to depend pretty heavily on time of day (maybe site traffic?), but there are definitely times when Real Time is essentially unplayable due to the slowness. I generally just stick to small maps for that reason - nothing any bigger than Classic, and preferably something small like Nukes! or Duck n Cover.

I don't know if I'd be in favor of halting Real Time altogether, but in its current state, I can see it being a big turn off for new players. Eliminating 3-minute may be helpful, but it's hard to say.

Upvote 0

bouttreefiddy

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
When I first came to this site I played real time games exclusively. If they hadn't been offered, I don't think I'd be here now, and real time games didn't run any smoother back then. I definitely wouldn't shut them off.

Upvote 0

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Yes, stopping RT games altogether is a very unappealing option.

I'm going to change them to 5 minute turns, and then wait and see if Marcos' next update might help.

I know it's been said before, but during the last update he encountered some unexpected problems and improvised on the spot. He thinks this might be causing the current slowness. He's working on a proper fix and will hopefully have it ready next week. Until then, we'll try 5 minute turns.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

B1G4NF

Awesome Player
The 5 minute time limit helps for sure, but by far the biggest issues I have with r/t games is, the round counter and record tab. They don't work properly, haven't for a long time. That's what, in my opinion, causes the long pauses (sometimes lasting 10 minutes plus) following missed turns.

Easy to get confused, when the round counter stays at round 1 the entire game, unless of course you refresh the browser, but even that is a risk, since there is no guarantee the game will reload once you leave it!

Doesn't stop me playing them though... It just adds to the drama!

Upvote 0

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
the round counter and record tab. They don't work properly... Easy to get confused, when the round counter stays at round 1 the entire game

Oh yeah, the round counter and record tab, I forgot about those. They're not even on the list. I'll create an issue for them right away. They will probably get a low priority, but they should definitely be on the list.

So just to clarify,

1) R/T game: Round counter does not advance when a new round has started
2) R/T game: Record Tab does not update (while an opponent is making their moves)
3) Casual game: Record Tab does not update (while an opponent is making their moves)

Is that correct?

What about the round counter during Casual games? Anyone know?

Upvote 0

bouttreefiddy

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Oh yeah, the round counter and record tab, I forgot about those. They're not even on the list. I'll create an issue for them right away. They will probably get a low priority, but they should definitely be on the list.

So just to clarify,

2) R/T game: Record Tab does not update (while an opponent is making their moves)
3) Casual game: Record Tab does not update (while an opponent is making their moves)

Is that correct?

The round counter has always worked for me in casual games.

In real time games, I saw you put the note on the lobby screen to click Jump to Next when a player's clock runs out and the game freezes. I thought this was a really good idea since a lot of new players don't know the work arounds to a lot of the bugs. Another thing that might be nice to add, letting them know that you can't refresh while another player is attacking or the map won't load. When I play real time I get that question from new players a lot.

Also, I've had a lot less problems since you switched it to 5 minutes.

Upvote 0

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Another thing that might be nice to add, letting them know that you can't refresh while another player is attacking or the map won't load.

Shit, I never even knew that.

Upvote 0

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
"you can't refresh while another player is attacking or the map won't load"? Really? Odd....

Upvote 0

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
:withstupid: sry, i agree. no better emoticon

When I first came to this site I played real time games exclusively. If they hadn't been offered, I don't think I'd be here now, and real time games didn't run any smoother back then. I definitely wouldn't shut them off.

Upvote 0

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
"you can't refresh while another player is attacking or the map won't load"? Really? Odd....

If there is any change in the map between you clicking to 'refresh' and the map being fully loaded, it won't load. It therefore is always a good idea to refresh during an AWOL players turn :p

Upvote 0

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Okay, so we think we fixed all the issues that were causing the slowdowns. The real-time games are still at 5 minutes. Let me know if you notice a speed difference when playing real-time, and if you think I should change the classic 4 player game back to 3 minutes.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
This was my response after the update...
See here

I played another three games after and they all seemed to go pretty quick compared to before, we'll need some more input before it goes back to 3mins but I'm sure happy :)

Upvote 0

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
I had a real-time game yesterday, where there was a glitch, and we were all thrown out mid-turn. After a couple of minutes, we had all 4 been able to return and play the game to the end. But until that does no longer happen, real-time remains a gamble

Upvote 0

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar

So just to clarify,

Is that correct?

Just an update: I can confirm that the round counter issue is not limited to Real Time. If you stay in-game during a round shift, the round counter does not update, also in casual. It simply becomes reddish, indicating that it does not show the current round (just as when you change the round counter manually to see how the board looked like in earlier rounds).

Upvote 0

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Just an update: I can confirm that the round counter issue is not limited to Real Time. If you stay in-game during a round shift, the round counter does not update, also in casual. It simply becomes reddish, indicating that it does not show the current round (just as when you change the round counter manually to see how the board looked like in earlier rounds).

Thanks. I've made a note on the "to do" list that casual games are also affected.

Thanks.

Upvote 0