• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Questions You Ask/Avatars:

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
The biggest questions i get from the general masses lately seem to have something to do with avatars, and how one can either "size one" or find a really cool one.. my answer is always the same:

"the best site to size an avatar for yourself is sumo paint. it's pretty much a slightly lamer version of photoshop.. pretty basic, but totally does the simple task of creating a 100 x 100 pixel avatar..easily. If you're looking for a cool 'avatar' ask yourself what you're actually looking for? is it a simple image pulled from something your into? a comic book person, a war looking avatar, or something you intend to use other places as well, making this image the 'image of your online persona'.. who people know you as online."

some people prefer animated avatars, and this is fine.. but to me, avatars should be simple.. to the point, and still really artistic and 'cool' for lack of a better word. but i've had a few really cool animated avatars myself in my time online. which is going on 12 years in just a few months... avatars are simple, they only become complicated when you put too much thought into them. the best sources for stock imagery (sites that supply free photographs/art/et c for public usage) are definitely sites like stock.xchng and even deviantart.com, and i am a hater of this website but i still troll their stock section from time to time. lots and lots of good stuff/resources. If all else fails.. try Google's 'image section'.. one thing to always remember though.. stealing someone else's avatar is bad news.

why do avatars matter?

an avatar tells other members of the community and staff that you're interested in sticking around the site. if you take the time to go through your settings and read the messages and notes you were sent when you signed up, you'll find lots of useful information about how you can become more active on the site. but an avatar, simply shows you've got some community spirit and an interest in MajCom and what it will become.

why can't MC's powers that be make my avatar 100 x 100px, even if my pic is bigger?

we tried that, what we got was a lot of distorted misshapen avatars that just didn't look right on the profiles or forum boards.. it's really not that difficult to take ten seconds to size an image, especially not now that i've given you a site that will do it for you. i understand it may seem like an awful lot of work to some of you, if it does.. i have no problem helping you, and i'm sure others would be happy to as well. just message someone, but really.. sumo paint is simple to use.

You should also check out this link to an older forum post on MC about Avatar Creation - lots of useful stuff in there too.

if you're desperate, or just really don't want to make one, like i said earlier.. i'm happy to help. and i'm sure others will volunteer to help in the comments of this post.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
As a small addendum to ghost's excellent post, I'd like to request that people not simply copy the avvys of other people, especially those of site management. Besides, with the number of potential avenues available for resizing and uploading your own avatar, it's a bit rude to just copy someone else's.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
well put Inca.. like i said, stealing other peoples avatars = bad news. :p

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
There is really no excuse for not having an avatar these days. Even quickly searching google I found this site, http://www.alluserpics.com

Tons of cool avatars at 100x100. Like this guy.
01086.jpg

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
cool link for sure, definitely a great site for newbs to find avatars. thanks Bado ;)

allurbass

Awesome Player
sumo paint is cool, but for my money I like aviary They also have a PS editor and a bunch of other cool online creative tool. Plus they show you how to use them.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
very cool site indeed.. i just like the simplicity of sizing avatars with sumo..
i personally use my own art programs. :p