• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Jangium

Awesome Player
Why i stay always at 1291 points , i lose some games i win some but the score stay always the same ??

matildathehun

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Why i stay always at 1291 points , i lose some games i win some but the score stay always the same ??
Points haven't worked since the move from Flash. Everybody has stayed the same. It's like a little snapshot in time...

From what I've heard, that will be fixed when the new system is in place.

-MTH

MNatt

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
A question: where do all the points come from?

I've never really thought about it before, but as far as I understand it at the end of a game, when the points are worked out it comes out as a zero-sum. All the losing players lose some points, and the winner wins points - and the points the winner gets equals the total of the points lost by all the losers. Is that right? From what I can see it seems to be.

Assuming that's the case, where do all the points come from? Back in the day when the points system was working even a mediocre player like myself had 2 or 3,000 points, and the really good players had lots more than that. So far as I can recall everyone starts with about 1,000. But I can't really remember many players struggling along with much less than 1,000. But if the only way you win points is from games, and each game is a zero-sum, I don't see where the points are coming from.

waldegrave

Awesome Player
A question: where do all the points come from?

I've never really thought about it before, but as far as I understand it at the end of a game, when the points are worked out it comes out as a zero-sum. All the losing players lose some points, and the winner wins points - and the points the winner gets equals the total of the points lost by all the losers. Is that right? From what I can see it seems to be.

Assuming that's the case, where do all the points come from? Back in the day when the points system was working even a mediocre player like myself had 2 or 3,000 points, and the really good players had lots more than that. So far as I can recall everyone starts with about 1,000. But I can't really remember many players struggling along with much less than 1,000. But if the only way you win points is from games, and each game is a zero-sum, I don't see where the points are coming from.
I think the points are coming from poor players who sign up, lose games, then quit. Those who are capable of winning games tend to stay on, and so those are the players we see in games, making it appear that there is a surplus of points. When you bring the inactive quitters back into the picture it likely all balances out.

MNatt

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
I think the points are coming from poor players who sign up, lose games, then quit. Those who are capable of winning games tend to stay on, and so those are the players we see in games, making it appear that there is a surplus of points. When you bring the inactive quitters back into the picture it likely all balances out.
Maybe - but even when points were working properly I don't remember coming across many players who had lost all their points. If all the points were coming from players who joined, lost and then quit there would have needed to be 2 of them for every player getting to 3,000. And while there were plenty of players getting to 2 or 3,000 I don't ever recall coming across anyone who had no points left. In fact I don't recall coming across too many players who had less points than they started with.

LotsOFFLuck

Awesome Player
Maybe - but even when points were working properly I don't remember coming across many players who had lost all their points. If all the points were coming from players who joined, lost and then quit there would have needed to be 2 of them for every player getting to 3,000. And while there were plenty of players getting to 2 or 3,000 I don't ever recall coming across anyone who had no points left. In fact I don't recall coming across too many players who had less points than they started with.
There are a BOATLOAD of players who sign up, play a game or two, and quit. It was a daily thing 'back in the day'.

MNatt

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
Ok - maybe it was just me never playing them then. I don't remember ever coming across a single player with less than, say, 500 points - never mind a boatload. But if that's the answer, then that's the answer.

needpapertowel

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
Good point, MNatt... I have the lowest rank I've ever seen on MC, so I would definitely remember if I saw someone actually lower!

waldegrave

Awesome Player
Ok - maybe it was just me never playing them then. I don't remember ever coming across a single player with less than, say, 500 points - never mind a boatload. But if that's the answer, then that's the answer.
They don't need to lose all their points to make a difference. If, say, 20 new players sign up to play a few games, and they each lose an average of 50 points before quitting, that adds up to 1,000 points entering the system, enough to bring a regular up through the ranks to a master sergeant. That's where the points come from.

needpapertowel

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
If looks like it's happening, and the points are tallied retroactively, we should start a pool where everyone guesses what their updated rank would be and the closest player gets a point bonus.