• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

New Maps Please!

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
In a world of 7 continents 195-196+ countries and a history of histories, there is lots of potential for our maps in play to expand! Is there a way for the general public of this website to actually design and submit maps to an official system? definitely a good idea to get passionate people involved!

Made up maps and real life maps would be great! I can't make maps, and while improving the site should be a first, different maps work in different ways and would definitely be interesting!

Without looking at past suggestions, I might be able to suggest some!

Russia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Military_Districts_of_Russian_Empire_1913.png
This map might be cool with countries that are/once were apart of Russia to be in that map to be their own bonus.

The Pacific Islands: http://www.forumsec.org/resources/uploads/embeds/image/map_of_pacific_islands_forum_countries(1).jpg
This map could be cool, maybe focusing more on NZ and the other Pacific Islands. It could be like the UK and the African Conflict map, that has some of the main countries being their own bonus with their own islands.
This map could be larger with Australia, Indonesia and Malaysia though they're already focused on lots of maps and having a different region to play on would be cool!

The Caribbean: http://www.caam-hp.org/images/caribbeanmap.png
I don't know much more than the location and the way it looks, but it could be a good gameplay.

A clock map: http://imgur.com/QXGDdE8
I've posted this idea before, but basically the map has wedges like a clock (could be 12 wedges, could be 24, 36 or 48 wedges etc.) where every single wedge is touching every single other wedge. Or maybe there's a neutral circle in the middle that requires lots of units to conquer and gives you an extra bonus. The wedges could be split into coloured quarters to give bonuses.

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Hey Geoff,

I think that there was a hold put on map development a while back but I could be wrong...

A year ago before I left I started disecting this map and creating the regions... I got 1/2 of the way through The states before I stopped playing majcom and making the map.
I thought it was a pretty good idea that matched up well with your idea of the Caribbean.
BeanZ_Caribbean_zpsad7ee9ce.png

The maps were always one of the things I appreciated most about majcom, they were all soooo good :rock:

Maybe Give Shepherd a buzz, he was always the maps master

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
Oh yea, definitely that's cool! Though a bigger focus on the Islands and Central America would be cool :p Why did the maps stop being developed? Nothing bad could ever come out of having too many maps ;P

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Just an FYI, Shepherd and the other lead cartographers decided that getting the other issues fixed on the site should take precedence over adding new maps. Hopefully, now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel, fix-wise, the map-making will begin again. But, if you want to develop maps, the way that BeanZ has started, you can put them out there, hopefully sooner than later some at least will get made. About that map you started looking at, BeanZ, I agree with Geoffrey, I'd say squeeze out Mexico and focus on the Carib. the way it stands it would be difficult to put a lot of those islands 'in play'.

And, yes, Shep does have a new map, currently being tested to make sure everything works right before release. Current thinking I believe is: the winners of the 2 big tourneys play a "Grand Champion" game on it concurrent with it's release.

Last edited:

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Oh wow just went onto Shepherds page, there is a new map right now! http://www.majorcommand.com/Games/Game.php?gameid=223196

Yeah, okay. Do I have to block Shepherd page from prying eyes now?

And, yes, Shep does have a new map, currently being tested to make sure everything works right before release. Current thinking I believe is: the winners of the 2 big tourneys play a "Grand Champion" game on it concurrent with it's release.

Too much info!!! :)

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter

Too much info!!! :)

Sorry. But once Geoffrey posted a link to it, I figured that the cat was out of the bag, so to speak. Something for everyone to look forward to!

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
correct. widowmakers, shepherd and myself were all part of the site when Badorties launched it. We made the maps you see in play now. Creating game board maps is not easy - there's tons of thinking that goes into gameplay. On top of that, the creating of layers when you hover over regions, the troop containers, and the entire creation process was terribly flawed. It takes hours to position all the layers and coordinates to where you want everything. Once evan quit, there was no way for us to interact with development. The bigger issue was the game-play bugs, and not the map creation process. We (sort of) put map making on hold until the foundation was stable - and no need to spend countless hours positioning troop containers when the entire infrastructure could change under our feet.

We have a few maps right on the edge of release, some really cool ones - just waiting for the site to become stable and ready for the next phase. I am just as anxious as you guys for some new maps & gameplay to the site. I'm in it long-term, just sort of on pause for the moment.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
OMG. You just made my day BIG-TIME, Mr. Beals. :proud: :adore: :five: :smile:

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals

Hahaha sorry if I revealed too much ;P And yea, good point Beals, I just have no idea any of the process to make it and definitely want more on this site!!!!!

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
The map making process is a nightmare! I looked at it for a moment and I ran in fear. I can't believe these guys did so much with the tools they were given. The one thing I want (and need collaboration with), is designing a new map development interface. I'm sure Beals, Shep, and Widow have some thoughts on what the final product should look like.

(and yes, it's good hear Beals is still in it) :)

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
Definitely a new development interface if it is as hard as you are making it out to be, I'd love to see lots of map developers being able to design and submit their own maps (whether or not they officially get accepted in game). Though as someone who still uses paint, I guess rough designing is the best I could ever do :p

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
+1 everything RJ said. When the development wheels came off of the site our vision for the MajCom studios (ease of adding game-play rules and map features, member-generated map ideas, user-friendly map design interface, etc.) was largely derailed. I remain optimistic that the recent infusion of new blood could turn that around.

Last edited:

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
+1 everything Rj and Shep said
Here is a sneak peak at one we were working on too.
Still a lot of work left. But once the systems previously mentioned are fixed up, we should be back in business.
b2nKA9e.png

xoI7c3O.png

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Nice! I wanna use the catapult! :)

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Hot DAYUM that looks cool!!!

Can't wait guys!

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Sadly, I think that map is three years old. That's a lot of talent and work to just have it sit in the can all this time.

PackerHawkeye

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
3 years? Wow. Out of diapers already. :)

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
Holy crap, wicked map! Whether I like them or not, I always like trying out new modes on maps!