• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

New map: Battlefield Mars

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
We love our users so much we're giving you all a Valentine's Day present: a new map! And since we couldn't give everybody red roses, we're giving you the red planet!

The Mars map is my modest tribute to early Science Fiction artists, best known today for the classic cover art of such magazines as Amazing Stories, Astounding Stories, and Tales of Wonder. While the map itself is made up of entirely original elements, the Brief borrows some snippets of original art from the 1930s.

The layout of the map is drawn from 19th and early 20th century maps of Mars, sketched by astronomers who believed they saw a network of canals and theorized that perceived depressions in the landscape were ancient sea beds. The region names are borrowed from naming conventions of the early 20th century as well. This is ancient Mars as it may have been imagined by astronomers - and science fiction writers and artists - of an earlier age.

As our last two new maps have been rather complex, we've gone a bit more classic with this one: 55 regions, 9 commands. There are also a number of special regions explained in the Map Brief. Two regions have airships and rockets that can cross the sea and bombard foreign enemies. Augonia and Memnonia are key sources of energy - atomic and steam - and give a bonus of +1. Acheron is a manufacturing center turning out great battle robots; one troop is auto-deployed there each round. And the shield domes around the cities of Nilus regenerate to a minimum level of 3 troops each round.

Let us know what you think. Enjoy!

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Looks like a few people approve, judging from the number of games that have been started on this map. I like it. As you said, more of a 'classic' style, but enough wrinkles to make it interesting. Great job once again by our awesome cartographers!

X-DEADBOY-X

Awesome Player
Quite simply; Awesome. That is really really cool. I can't wait to play this map. I really loved the selection of maps when I first started here, but seeing you guys create quality maps is exciting. I really liked the last one quite a bit (I was hoping for a castle/medieval map). Now this. Just awesome. I really love the pulp feel you gave the map. Please keep up the great work.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
Rumor has it there are a couple of open tourneys featuring the Mars map. But you didn't hear it from me. :D

TheGeneral

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
More great work from the runners of a great site. Well done and thank you.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Shep makes me so proud...:adore:

:sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::marchmellow::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep:

PITMAN212

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
great job to the higher ups! as usual :^) thanks for such a great site!

FLAGG

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
AWESOME MAP! It looks like it is going to be totally fun to play on. Thanks, to the guys that run the site, for bringing us more and more great maps!

ONE THING:
I feel like, at least on my screen, that the map is kind of blurry or lower resolution. It is certainly playable - but both the main map and the brief could be sharper looking.

I feel that this is not something that I notice on other maps. Even classic massive - seems to have sharp lines, and clear text..........

Flagg

rob6483

Awesome Player
the map is kind of blurry or lower resolution. It is certainly playable - but both the main map and the brief could be sharper looking.

I think it's supposed to be that way to give it a nostalgic feel of something from a magazine or comic book from the era of early to mid 1900's sci-fi.

I just got started on my first game on the map, but it looks like it will be a nice change up for maps!

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I think it's supposed to be that way to give it a nostalgic feel of something from a magazine or comic book from the era of early to mid 1900's sci-fi.
Exactly, but if anything stands in the way of reading and playing the map I can fix it.

FLAGG

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
I just wish the text were a bit clearer. But I seem to be the only one that has found this......

The map is totally playable not matter what, and I love the new map overall!

Flagg

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
Some of the territory names are really good. Nice going.

steelrain

Awesome Player
How does this work: Domed Cities of Nilus, Reset to 3 minimum? I've studied the brief but either I am unusually daft (quite possible) or it is not working in the two mars games I am playing.

Last edited:

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
How does this work: Domed Cities of Nilus, Reset to 3 minimum? I've studied the brief but either I am unusually daft (quite possible) or it is not working in the two mars games I am playing.

That means that if you hold Nilus at the start of turn with one or two troops on the region, it will add troops to that region to reach three

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
KungFu is correct. It's the same rule we use in Cold War Europe. The rule won't effect you if you already have three or more troops there to start you turn.

When it works you will see this in the Game Record:

02/25/12 19:07:19 steelrain Auto set Nilus troop count to 3

steelrain

Awesome Player
That means that if you hold Nilus at the start of turn with one or two troops on the region, it will add troops to that region to reach three

Thanks, this is very helpful. Unfortunately, I bet there are others out there with the same question. Perhaps more a little explaination is needed in the brief.

Otherwise....luv the map!

Last edited:

adders

Awesome Player
Hi, have just used the airships, and the three countries I have attacked are just white bubbles. Any clues to what is happening?

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
Hi, have just used the airships, and the three countries I have attacked are just white bubbles. Any clues to what is happening?
they revert to neutral, you cant move troops there once u take it, the same happens in duck & cover map, you can bombard from the planes, but not to advance troops

Nim

Awesome Player
Just to say Mars is my favorite map by far! I get my best results on it. Maybe it is because I am a sci-fi fan...