• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

More Tournament Control Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
The profile avatar will eventually change as well.

Thanks General!

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
I will never change my avatar....who doesn't like a good thunderstorm. :) One more idea that would seem to cover everyone's concern regarding this topic......What about redefining the relationship between rank and points? If you earn the rank, then it is permanent...never to go down because of losing points. You wouldn't have to necessarily make any other changes.....the points u earn would still give u a higher rank with the same # of points needed as now. You wouldn't ever having to worry about losing ur rank or ur position on the leaderboard (if your permanent rank also contained ur highest points score to separate between like ranks). IMHO, this would seem to provide some encouragement for higher ranks to play more "riskier" games against us blue collar types. In fact, it cud take the sting out of the other issue here of undesirable play in team tournaments as well.

I would go even further than that basic suggestion and reset everyone's points yearly (still keeping ur permanent rank) as well as all the leader boards. However, with doing that I believe another feature would have to be a separate "all time leader board" indicating say the top 5 or 10 of all time. This would seem to really provide EVERY player in MC a sense of the possible and therefore lift morale and add motivation.

Sorry, perhaps a little off issue on the last two but hey, Ive been in a nude bar for the 12 hours and Sam still hasn't shown up yet. :)

A very radical suggestion. As another different suggestion I was also thinking something along the line of points decreasing over time i.e 1 point every 5 days. People that don't play many games to sit in a rank would slowly drop over time until a set amount of points of 2500. There are a lot of arguments against, people saying they don't have enough time to play games etc.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
Also, I forgot to mention in my last post that I greatly appreciate the tourneys and have a great time playing them. I feel we do not give enough kudos to the people that spend their time organizing them for us.

I agree with this also. Thank you

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
JCUK, I appreciate the work you put in, and I know it's a lot. I agree with most of your points, but not sure if you were kidding or throwing a stone at th-child because to me he is not a ducker. He would beat the majority of us in a best 3 out of 5 singles tournament on any board. If it wasn't a knock I'm sorry for taking it wrong, but I really respect him.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
I am aware of one new player who played on one of my crusade teams recently who played the entire game as a single. This was not in a tournament game. He did not not respond at all in game chat. He attacked his own team to improve his position on 3 of 7 turns and was AWOL on 2 of his turns. I sent him about 7 or 8 very positive and polite PMs over the course of the game, and he replied twice. But both times, there was no text from him in his reply. To my mind, it would be nice if, on review by an Admin, this guy, and others like him, could be banned from team play until he can be reasoned with. He is the most extreme example that I have seen of this behavior. Most newbies catch on to the team concept within a few turns, if not right away. But I think this type of player is rare, and maybe the software change in the new engine isn't worth the effort.

I contribute this to say that maybe this would address this type of behaviour by an individual - restricting a member's access to team games or tournaments on the odd occasion where it is warranted.

That's a real sad example. We don't need people who hurt the community.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
Let me add that although I don't play in very many tournaments, I observed jcuk's outreach recently for input on the types of tournaments that members wanted, and I applaud his initiative with that effort. I also applaud jcuk for the awesome effort overall that he has made to create a vibrant tournament life on MajCom. I think his selfless efforts in this regard far exceeds the efforts of most members on MajCom, and I like giving credit where it is due.

Sometimes it can be hard to find an appropriate time to give due praise, but this seems like a good time and place for me to express these opinions also.

Yes. His tournaments are well thought out based on suggestions.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
I find that to be a compelling argument

I do to. This means a lot to TheGeneral. I can understand why. Maybe if it didn't effect stats in tournaments.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
This is an interesting point and one i have come to realise. Now that i have reached General and seen that the Generals clan is a bunch of old sweats sitting around eating cakes and talking about the good ole days, points and rank don't seem to matter that much any more and I appreciate the game play more now.

NB. It's not all about the cakes, there is a secret handshake and worth the push to get there. Although Sam keeps suggesting that the handshake needs to be conducted without clothes on, I'm not so sure about this one :vroam:

When the Female players have as many as the male players in the Generals club, then I would agree with the new handshake. I have been up and down the leader board a few times. never to #1, but I love to play. Maybe a few more higher stakes tournaments with less players involved. People might not want to risk 25-50 points on a tournament, but I think it would make sure players are more committed?

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
JCUK, I appreciate the work you put in, and I know it's a lot. I agree with most of your points, but not sure if you were kidding or throwing a stone at th-child because to me he is not a ducker. He would beat the majority of us in a best 3 out of 5 singles tournament on any board. If it wasn't a knock I'm sorry for taking it wrong, but I really respect him.

Can you quote the bit you are describing. I don't believe I've thrown stones at anyone.

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Can you quote the bit you are describing. I don't believe I've thrown stones at anyone.

Certainly not Th-child. I think Risky is mistaken.

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Building on my last suggestion, how about this:

We start "Officers Tournaments". No non-coms can enter. I doubt that bilsi and others will mind. Maybe he'll raise his game to get in...lol. But this will keep crazy newbies out. No more than 10% of all tournaments could be Officers Tournaments.

The game winners get 50 points each, the losers lose 50 points each. The prize pool would work the same. With the game points set this way, mid-ranked players might take joining more seriously, because they aren't risking only 20 to 30 points on their first game, they are risking 50. And they won't receive as much for defeating a big dog. But they get to test their skills against tougher competition, if they dare to play these new tournaments.

Big dogs (senior players) should see these more as tournaments of honour, and not as more games where they again stand to lose a lot of points (more than others) for losing. With fewer lower ranked players, teams should be stronger.

There would be separate stats kept for this stream of tournaments, so if someone wants to make a name playing all these tournaments, thay can. But Most Tournament Wins - Regular will continue on untainted.

I think giving the big dogs a break on game points is the key to getting them more involved in some kind of tournaments. They aren't afraid to play, it's just that MajCom has made it quite expensive for them to lose a game, if they care at all about maintaining the appearance of a top-ranked player. There is no basic correctness to the weighted points system being used; it just meets certain objectives better than an equal-for-all system. But I think it does discourage senior players from playing in more games and tournaments. Therefore a change can be justifiable for these tournament games only.

Thoughts?

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
calume, was your avatar a pic from a Rush LP? It reminds me of one of the earlier ones.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter

I think I took it the wrong way. I've never heard the expression. Sitting around eating cakes. Some of the top players will only join certain games, but th-, eric, and a few others will play most games. I know when I was a General I still played 40 games at a time of all sorts, but some never join my games. I should have realized cake is yummy, so sitting around eating them is good I guess. If I make it back up there. I want a German Chocolate Cake waiting for me.

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
I think I took it the wrong way. I've never heard the expression. Sitting around eating cakes. Some of the top players will only join certain games, but th-, eric, and a few others will play most games. I know when I was a General I still played 40 games at a time of all sorts, but some never join my games. I should have realized cake is yummy, so sitting around eating them is good I guess. If I make it back up there. I want a German Chocolate Cake waiting for me.

Sitting around eating cakes had nothing to do with playing games. In fact had nothing to do with anything, it was idle chit chat. I was trying to lighten the mood but clealry failed.

Last edited:

calume

Awesome Player
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
calume, was your avatar a pic from a Rush LP? It reminds me of one of the earlier ones.

Indeed, Rush LP 2112 (the individual against the mass)

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
Indeed, Rush LP 2112 (the individual against the mass)

All the world is a stage. The Signals tour 1983 was my second concert. Golden Earring opened. My first concert was the Who and the Clash. 1982. Such a unique band Lee, Liefson, and Pert

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
Sitting around eating cakes had nothing to do with playing games. In fact had nothing to do with anything, it was idle chit chat. I was trying to lighten the mood but clealry failed.

I figured I misunderstood something, I love sarcasm. Sorry I didn't catch it.

TheGeneral

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
The game winners get 50 points each, the losers lose 50 points each. The prize pool would work the same. With the game points set this way, mid-ranked players might take joining more seriously, because they aren't risking only 20 to 30 points on their first game, they are risking 50. And they won't receive as much for defeating a big dog. But they get to test their skills against tougher competition, if they dare to play these new tournaments.

Big dogs (senior players) should see these more as tournaments of honour, and not as more games where they again stand to lose a lot of points (more than others) for losing. With fewer lower ranked players, teams should be stronger.

There would be separate stats kept for this stream of tournaments, so if someone wants to make a name playing all these tournaments, thay can. But Most Tournament Wins - Regular will continue on untainted.

I think giving the big dogs a break on game points is the key to getting them more involved in some kind of tournaments. They aren't afraid to play, it's just that MajCom has made it quite expensive for them to lose a game, if they care at all about maintaining the appearance of a top-ranked player. There is no basic correctness to the weighted points system being used; it just meets certain objectives better than an equal-for-all system. But I think it does discourage senior players from playing in more games and tournaments. Therefore a change can be justifiable for these tournament games only.

Thoughts?

Why give high scoring players a break? The tournaments are there. Let them put up or play with themselves whilst eating cake.

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Why give high scoring players a break? The tournaments are there. Let them put up or play with themselves whilst eating cake.

Because they don't and won't. They are very good players who are disadvantaged when playing lower-ranked players by the way our scoring system is set up. The current scoring system works reasonably well until you get to be a top-ranked player, then it becomes almost punitive.

So I think we should add this small subset of tournaments to this site, and see if we can get more interaction from the senior players. There's nothing wrong with trying something new if it solves an existing concern. The world thrives when good changes are introduced. We should find that good change and implement it. It may be more a matter of what the new feature will be, not IF we should have it. Clearly a number of posters have indicated that want something new of this type.

I applaud guys like Th-child and Eric who will periodically join the existing tournaments. I think they are being very generous to the rest of us to risk so many points though, just to be able to play with us. Let's cut them some slack for being willing to do that by giving them a bone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.