• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Lowering starting troop count on 1v1

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
After playing extensively in 1v1, I think that lowering the starting troop counts would do a lot of good in evening the playing field. As the first mover, I am often able to take 1, 2 or even 3 bonuses on the first move, in addition to depriving my opponent of up to 25% of his starting troops. That is a massive advantage and pretty much means game over, outside of some very lopsided dice from there on out.

Less troops at the beginning means less opportunity to "dig in" on the first turn, and can prolong the game, which brings more maneuvering and card play into it.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
Rather than lowering the deply bonus, we're planning on mixing in some randomly-deployedneutrals, which will both lower both player's initial deploy, and make it less of a slam dunk taking bonuses.

uscg

Awesome Player
i agree with Spazm. i like 1 v 1 games, but the first player has the advantage, with the reasons stated above. is there any update with this?

grifftron

Awesome Player
yea i dunno, i know i have just started today, but when i failed taking anything right after my opponent takes a bonus / card, its hard to get back from that. especially with the deployment of the troops starting so high.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
This is a top priority for us.

The current resolution is

1. 20% of the regions will be neutral
2. Round 1 bonus are fixed, Meaning, if you start with 15 regions and your op takes 5 in round 1, you still start your round 1 turn as if you had 15 regions.

This is on top of the no command bonus in round 1 thing we have in place.

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
I think the OP is stating this after I kicked his butt 1v1 ;)

To be devil's advocate, I have been able to win a few times after going 2nd in a 1v1 game. I kinda like the challenge of going 2nd. Not sure if I like the proposed changes to 1v1... :(

If it's a problem, then I'd say don't play!

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
I think the OP is stating this after I kicked his butt 1v1 ;)

To be devil's advocate, I have been able to win a few times after going 2nd in a 1v1 game. I kinda like the challenge of going 2nd. Not sure if I like the proposed changes to 1v1... :(

If it's a problem, then I'd say don't play!

I've played quite a few 1v1s, and it's possible to win going second, but the odds aren't with you. Plus the nice thing about random neutrals is that it might take some small bonuses out of play (or at least make them harder to take), which to my mind is the real disadvantage of going second (in that you pretty much have to react to the first player, who probably took a small bonus unless their dice were garbage).

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
Does "Reply with quote" lag horribly for anyone else other than me?

Anyway, to address zsp, it was after I grabbed up 3 bonuses on my first turn on the South America map, and I felt so bad I had to post this. A look at my record on 1v1 would show I don't have an issue winning with the current system. :p

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
Does "Reply with quote" lag horribly for anyone else other than me?

Anyway, to address zsp, it was after I grabbed up 3 bonuses on my first turn on the South America map, and I felt so bad I had to post this. A look at my record on 1v1 would show I don't have an issue winning with the current system. :p

Works okay for me...

And yeah, like I said above, the real kicker is when you go first and can take several bonuses... British Isles and Classic Massive are particularly brutal on that front, with their plethora of 3 and 4 terit commands.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
This is a top priority for us.

The current resolution is

1. 20% of the regions will be neutral
2. Round 1 bonus are fixed, Meaning, if you start with 15 regions and your op takes 5 in round 1, you still start your round 1 turn as if you had 15 regions.

This is on top of the no command bonus in round 1 thing we have in place.

Good news everyone! 1v1s now incorporate the above features.

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
Good news everyone! 1v1s now incorporate the above features.

1. Well in the first game I played, everything seemed to work (Cold War). However in the 2nd (South America), both Chile and Peru & Ecuador had only 1 territory not controlled by my opponent, and each had my troops in there. Two bonuses were taken with the first turn.

2. My troops did not stay constant on my first turn; rather than 8 I was only awarded 6. (Game 2225) [EDIT: I think that with the lower starting territory count, the starting deploy is only 6 rather than 8. If this is true then I did in fact get a flat number of troops for round 1.]

Last edited:

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
1. Well in the first game I played, everything seemed to work (Cold War). However in the 2nd (South America), both Chile and Peru & Ecuador had only 1 territory not controlled by my opponent, and each had my troops in there. Two bonuses were taken with the first turn.

2. My troops did not stay constant on my first turn; rather than 8 I was only awarded 6. (Game 2225) [EDIT: I think that with the lower starting territory count, the starting deploy is only 6 rather than 8. If this is true then I did in fact get a flat number of troops for round 1.]

1. That's just a bad drop, not much that can be done about that without standardizing the drop, which would be boring

2. Yes, each player gets a lower deploy since they control fewer terits. And since I checked the game and saw this:
10/01/10 11:31:23 Spazm Acquired 6 units for 17 regions
You did indeed get the flat round 1 deploy, since otherwise you would've only dropped 5.

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
For discussion:

Since it appears to me that any game with only two "teams"; be they 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc. has the exact same issue as was discussed some time ago in this thread with 1v1.

I would recommend that the starting deploy be fixed for 1v1, and all team games with only "two teams".

Thoughts?