• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

ideas for map

OneEyed

Awesome Player
I have some ideas about maps, for some of them I did time ago quick draft.
if you like any of my ideas, post here comment please. if any idea gain favour I can do draft, so everybody can see how map would looks.

"Occupation of Germany" map based on occupation of Germany after World War II. Germany (maybe also Austria) divided between USA, France, Great Britain, USSR with Berlin as pop out town (similar to British Isles map).

"Peloponnesian Wars" map about ancient Greece, the wars between Athens and Sparta. I posted draft here
http://www.majorcommand.com/forums/threads/3220-Ancient-Greece-idea!/page2.

"Medieval Europe" map from era of crusades. big map with almost entire Europe and Mediterranean with many small command which some of them are part of big command (example: big command Holy Roman Empire with small commands Kingdom of Germany, Kingdom of Italy, Kingdom of Burgundy, Duchy of Bohemia, Duchy of Pomerania). some small Duchies could add bonus to two commands.
I also think about crusader routes to Levant.

"Holy Roman Empire" with electors who electing the Emperor. map could have two playable areas: one will be map of the Holy Roman Empire divided between Duchies (command) and second playable area 7 Prine electors with Emperor.

"Viking Invasion" map of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland (maybe part of Denmark and Norway) with commands of Anglo-Saxons, Brithonic and Irish kingdoms. Vikings will have their bases and bonuses for plundering other lands. ofcourse Vikings can establish Kingdom of York and Kingdom of Dublin.

could any cartographer say me maximum (minimum) size of maps is common on MajorCommand?

OneEyed

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
The medieval Europe one sounds interesting, with the different one, though a roman empire themed map has already been made (there can be more I guess, I really wanna see more new terrains/themes on majcom though!). The Viking Invasion could actually be a really neat idea if it had a special feature!

The site is doing other improvements at the moment though, don't think map making is their first priority at the moment! In the meantime there's plenty of maps to play and enjoy, and perhaps one day we can even have a 'democratic' vote on what ideas we want for new maps to push great map ideas in the right direction ;)

OneEyed

Awesome Player
roman empire themed map has already been made (there can be more I guess, I really wanna see more new terrains/themes on majcom though!).

I spoke about medieval Holy Roman Empire. not about ancient Roman empire.
The Viking Invasion could actually be a really neat idea if it had a special feature!

when I think about map, it must has any special feature.
The site is doing other improvements at the moment though, don't think map making is their first priority at the moment!

looking forward to see them. but maps are the core, I think.
In the meantime there's plenty of maps to play and enjoy, and perhaps one day we can even have a 'democratic' vote on what ideas we want for new maps to push great map ideas in the right direction ;)

I count 22 maps. it is plenty?

OneEyed

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter

OneEyed

Well, more is better, but for now, until the game engine gets rebuilt and everything works, I think it's enough. There are other maps already in the works, but your ideas have merit and when the time comes, I'm sure will receive consideration. In the meantime, if you could show us what you've worked up people will be glad to make constructive comments and get the ball rolling on new maps. It really isn't a fast process, usually takes a few months (at least) from start to finish.

OneEyed

Awesome Player
Well, more is better, but for now, until the game engine gets rebuilt and everything works, I think it's enough. There are other maps already in the works, but your ideas have merit and when the time comes, I'm sure will receive consideration. In the meantime, if you could show us what you've worked up people will be glad to make constructive comments and get the ball rolling on new maps. It really isn't a fast process, usually takes a few months (at least) from start to finish.

I can not say it better:
I've said this before and I don't mean to be debbie downer, but before anybody spends too much time developing a map it should be clear that there will be little support for new map production until such time as the site's larger issues are ironed out.

That doesn't mean you can't work on something - just that it will be a while (months? years?) before a new map is launched.

OneEyed

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
For perspective's sake, that post from Shepherd was made in December of last year. There have been some positive developments recently as well as one new map that has been released since then.

I'd encourage you to start a new thread with whichever map you'd most like to push forward/develop. The Peloponnesian war is very interesting to me, one of my favorite periods in history. I moved you to a new thread and made some comments in it.

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
For perspective's sake, that post from Shepherd was made in December of last year. There have been some positive developments recently as well as one new map that has been released since then.

I'd encourage you to start a new thread with whichever map you'd most like to push forward/develop. The Peloponnesian war is very interesting to me, one of my favorite periods in history. I moved you to a new thread and made some comments in it.

+1 the site is headed in the correct direction and is speeding up fast to becoming debugged completely. So we should all be working on maps if we should please.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
+1 the site is headed in the correct direction and is speeding up fast to becoming debugged completely. So we should all be working on maps if we should please.
Certainly, having new maps in progress would speed up the process of releasing them once the site rebuild is completed.

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
The Vikings now, very maritime, their whole thing was sailing around and raiding and conquering so I think sea lanes would have to take maybe more precedence than in any map we currently have. I see it as a North Sea/Norwegian Sea map, the British Isles, of course and also Iceland Deenmark and most of the rest of Scandinavia and the low Countries and North coast of France - you know the Vikings conquered Normandy - and the North Sea was a perilous journey, full of storms and sea monsters and suchlike so maybe sea lanes that have way points that decay like the conflict zones in Conflict Africa so effectively you'd have to fight your way through one two or three neutral-ones to cross the sea... but beating a neutral one doesn't get you a card... that's kinda negative so you'd haveta offset that with some positives somewhere, autodeploys or the richness of the commands on offer... or something, I dunno... I think you'd just have to border the map with the worm Ouroborus and use a runic looking font...

Just thinking on the fly, that would be my starting position and see what happens from there...

OneEyed

Awesome Player
The Vikings now, very maritime, their whole thing was sailing around and raiding and conquering so I think sea lanes would have to take maybe more precedence than in any map we currently have. I see it as a North Sea/Norwegian Sea map, the British Isles, of course and also Iceland Deenmark and most of the rest of Scandinavia and the low Countries and North coast of France - you know the Vikings conquered Normandy - and the North Sea was a perilous journey, full of storms and sea monsters and suchlike so maybe sea lanes that have way points that decay like the conflict zones in Conflict Africa so effectively you'd have to fight your way through one two or three neutral-ones to cross the sea... but beating a neutral one doesn't get you a card... that's kinda negative so you'd haveta offset that with some positives somewhere, autodeploys or the richness of the commands on offer... or something, I dunno... I think you'd just have to border the map with the worm Ouroborus and use a runic looking font...

Just thinking on the fly, that would be my starting position and see what happens from there...

you have some good ideas. but I do not know what size of map is allowed in MajorCommand, so if there will be space for so large area (Iceland to Norway, Iceland to Normandy).
now I started work on Peloponnesian wars map, then I could start with Vikings.

OneEyed

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
I think it'd be all right to shift the geography around a little to make it fit

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
I wasn't looking to debate, but the way you answered me prodding all the points I tried to make forces me to ;) I just tried to critique or add my two cents to the maps and your comments went outside of that, but I'll answer your points anyway.
I spoke about medieval Holy Roman Empire. not about ancient Roman empire.

Yes, but there is still a map of a roman empire there in that region, even if they are of different eras.
when I think about map, it must has any special feature.
Some maps are great without special features, some of them are great on map alone (the classic series, North America, USA and even then other maps only have minor special features that aren't too much of a difference). A themed map like a viking one would need special features just for the sake of a cool theme. Not all maps "must" have special features.

It definitely is, you as a grunt can only play 4 games and have only played 4 games here, there's still 18 maps out there you have not played. Give them ago, they're fun to play while we wait for the improvements.

OneEyed

Awesome Player
I wasn't looking to debate,

why not? debate is only chance to know our ideas, opinions and how to make maps better for everybody.
but the way you answered me prodding all the points I tried to make forces me to ;) I just tried to critique or add my two cents to the maps and your comments went outside of that, but I'll answer your points anyway.

all critique or notices are welcome. its debate...
btw, what exactly was outside?
Yes, but there is still a map of a roman empire there in that region, even if they are of different eras.

roman empire covers "roman world". there is no germany and central europe, area for Holy Roman Empire map. and with very different gameplay.
there are 3 maps of world (4 with classic mini). there is cold war europe which covers alsmost the same area as roman empire map...
Some maps are great without special features, some of them are great on map alone (the classic series, North America, USA and even then other maps only have minor special features that aren't too much of a difference). A themed map like a viking one would need special features just for the sake of a cool theme. Not all maps "must" have special features.

ofcourse sometimes is simple better. somebody likes only classic gameplay, somebody gameplay with some features and somebody complex gameplay. lets people to choose.
It definitely is, you as a grunt can only play 4 games and have only played 4 games here, there's still 18 maps out there you have not played. Give them ago, they're fun to play while we wait for the improvements.

to be honest I found some maps which I will never play. I think 30-40 maps with different gameplay would be fine.
as I said I am looking forward for improvements, but I come here to help with doing maps :)

thanks for debate, I appreciate every idea and notice. therefore for example I forgot holy roman empire map and work on peloponnesian wars map...

OneEyed

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
Outside= the debate you seem to want kind of became irrelevant to the actual maps. Yes but the roman empire is basically on the same terrain, even if there are less territories the point still stands, I know my history and geography and know they were different things and know all about them, would you be able to make it newer and more interesting? A greek map would be more interesting since it goes down below egypt and the middle east.

Cold war europe is a more modern map that has a nice twist to it, perhaps if you could suggest what your twist for it might be, me as an unimportant low ranked member of this site could approve.

Some maps you'll never play? At least give them a go!

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Some maps you'll never play? At least give them a go!

The maps that any given person will play is a matter of taste. I know some people who never play 12Domains, others love it and play it all the time. I personally think that 22 maps is a reasonable number, but having others would be better. IMO, 30 - 40 really good maps to choose from would be optimal.

OneEyed

Awesome Player
well said Cardinalsrule. let people to choose, there is no order to play every map.
22 is a little. must of players realy never play any maps, so maybe 18, 19 maps is not much.

OneEyed

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
Absolutely cards, but I think try it before you knock it is a good idea ;P Of course, I want more maps too but it doesn't seem likely at the moment, 22 is not 'little' at all, I like the quality maps even if they are brought out a little slow! Quality over quantity.

12 domains is awesome!

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I agree with you 100%, Geoff. I think that for now, with the rebuild being the most important thing, that 22 high-quality maps is OK. Eventually, I'd want 40-something excellent maps. But I'm with you, bringing out great maps slowly is much preferred over dumping a slew of mediocre maps.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
as I said I am looking forward for improvements, but I come here to help with doing maps :)

So, who are you and where did you come FROM, OneEyed? Conk? That map has a certain "look" to it..... :hmmmm2:

Last edited:

OneEyed

Awesome Player
So, who are you and where did you come FROM, OneEyed? Conk? That map has a certain "look" to it..... :hmmmm2:

Conk? do not understand (english is my second language).
I did some maps (mainly as ideas) on Conquer Club. but despite of many members and large community the echo on new maps is low.
so time ago I looked for some another similar page, because I like to do maps. I read that MC is the most professional site around.
maps here have high standard, but realy about 10 new maps will be fine.
well, I will see how things will go here. I sent PM to Shepherd and wait for his answer.
I continue in work on PeloponnesianWars map, but without any game mechanics knowledge it is hard to create map. because also much things of graphic despite on gameplay.

OneEyed

PS: I did not come here to critique, but to help. but its candid to say my opinion...