• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

I hate dice, I experience this every game...

TormentaBANNED

Awesome Player
What I'm trying to say is if you find it easy and boring, you must be good at it.

No, no, I didn't say they were easy, I meant boring because as I said before it's all about maths, and well I like to plan my moves, but not making numbers for half an hour every turn. So I played 3 or 4 times, got bored before the end and forgot about them :) So I'm not very good at ff, I would say...

sundicekid

Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Canadian Club
Every game...

I NEVER-EVER look at the dice results on the right, except very rarely when I've had a particularly awesome streak, and even then, just a fleeting glance - because it doesn't matter at all.

One thing I notice when people get mad at the dice is they never remove the 'ties' from the scenario, and they should. In your 2nd pic, half of your attacks had a tie, so equal to his, and 3 out of 8 in the 1st one I believe.

I believe it all evens out over time.

Last edited:

Oggyyy

Awesome Player
The Borg
I NEVER-EVER look at the dice results on the right, except very rarely when I've had a particularly awesome streak, and even then, just a fleeting glance - because it doesn't matter at all.

One thing I notice when people get mad at the dice is they never remove the 'ties' from the scenario, and they should. In your 2nd pic, half of your attacks had a tie, so equal to his, and 3 out of 8 in the 1st one I believe.

I believe it all evens out over time.

Maybe I misunderstand you, but there are no ties in my second picture? It was something like 7 v 2 lost to 1 v 1, it went 7 v 2, 6 v 1 down to 1v 1

On the other hand you make valid points.

I can't help but notice my dice are infuriating - I can streak both bad and good when say it's 30 v 30...

When it's 10 v 1 I can lose 6 or 7 easily, regularly.

I dread facing 1's

TormentaBANNED

Awesome Player
He means that the enemy "throws" the dice. You can roll only 6's but if the defender rolls them too, it's a tie and he wins.

For example against hawd you had some good rolls, but his were awesome.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
I"m a decent 1x1 player. In these 4 round 1x1 tournaments, I've won some and lost many, but what is the streak for Finals lost in a row. I'm about to lose my 6th in a row, and I can't be that bad if I made it to the final. So much of it is who goes first, the drop, and the dice on the first round or two. that's it. When I win. I rarely feel that I outwitted my opponent. I didn't see any mistakes that they made. I just had more of those advantages. Six in a row sucks. In two of them the other player couldn't believe that they were going to win based on the drop and the fact that I got to go first, so you also need the dice. ..risky

ironztiger

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Fixed Force Club
Generals
The Borg
The dice are the dice are the dice. Getting mad at them is like getting mad at the sun cause you got burnt. It happens. They are "FAIR", as they can be. The dice don't answer to any scale, beyond even time. The odds and probability are infinite. This all happens on a board with real dice, even a 1 taking 11 armies(we call them Rambos). It frustrates me sometimes, don't want to sound like I'm above it whilst everyone else battles with demons. I try to make light of it, ask the dice gods for favor, and incorporate dice streaks into attacks. If it's not going well, stop. If I notice maybe everyone saw ice that round, i expect ice and hold off for a turn. When they're hot, let them burn for you. Have fun with whatever thing your mind thinks works well, know it's B.S., but have fun with it anyway. I know some people think retreating then continuing the attack changes things, go with it. Don't roll yourself to nothing and then get mad at the dice. My father always says "you can't win if you're not on the board." This is true regardless of the dice, so it can't be their fault.
Have fun.

Oggyyy

Awesome Player
The Borg
Very valid points and very well said - I'd do well in life to apply the same approach ironztiger.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for 2018

PITMAN212

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
i have seen it go both ways < I attack with crazy numbers less than defender and win often enough that I LOVE dice and its always fun (for me) to go for it , in the end it is always more fun to take a chance and win lose or draw , its a game of chance and luck after all . but the 3v2 is a sucker bet for sure.

PITMAN212

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
very well said IRON

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
The dice are the dice are the dice. Getting mad at them is like getting mad at the sun cause you got burnt. It happens. They are "FAIR", as they can be. The dice don't answer to any scale, beyond even time. The odds and probability are infinite. This all happens on a board with real dice, even a 1 taking 11 armies(we call them Rambos). It frustrates me sometimes, don't want to sound like I'm above it whilst everyone else battles with demons. I try to make light of it, ask the dice gods for favor, and incorporate dice streaks into attacks. If it's not going well, stop. If I notice maybe everyone saw ice that round, i expect ice and hold off for a turn. When they're hot, let them burn for you. Have fun with whatever thing your mind thinks works well, know it's B.S., but have fun with it anyway. I know some people think retreating then continuing the attack changes things, go with it. Don't roll yourself to nothing and then get mad at the dice. My father always says "you can't win if you're not on the board." This is true regardless of the dice, so it can't be their fault.
Have fun.

As I see it, there is no reason to believe that any particular dice roll is biased for or against me. I treat each roll separately because I am not superstitious. If I go 0 for 8 to start a turn, that doesn't influence my choice about my next roll. I will feel frustrated with my bad "luck", but having good or bad luck is really only the assessment of the roll results we have already received. Luck is not an animated or personal thing. It is not something that carries over from roll to roll.

I think some players incorrectly personalize their luck so they can vent their frustration at something. If they have bad dice for a turn, then they must have deserved it for some reason. Otherwise, they think, how could they be so unlucky? Well, that's just how the randomness of the dice rolls went for them, there really is nothing more to it.

I am aware when I have streaks of good or bad dice but I never let my reaction go beyond a bit of joy or frustration. Bad dice at the wrong time can cost you a game. But when we play these games, we know that is the risk we take. To counter the risk of bad dice affecting our games, we can only learn from experience and develop game strategies to mitigate the ill effects of those bad dice turns.

Of course, if you are the seriously superstitious type, knowing this won't help...lol.

That's how I see it.

5battalions

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
I base my philosophy of dice in this...

...strategy game that blends strategy and luck to achieve simulated world conquest.

From a old friend of mine, well i have my origins.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.

Confucius (551 BC – 479 BC)

:alberteinstein:

5battalions

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
no good can be evil..