• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

How do you work the Reserves

smunzimus

Awesome Player
It's all in the title. I've got the hang of all the buttons and bits but I can't figure out the reserve cards. Anyone give me a step by step instruction?...

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
hi smunzimus,

Firstly there is a guide on reserves here.

basically the reserves work similar to cards in Risk. You can cash in three cards at a time. The three cards have to be of the same color, or all three different colors. A reserve is gained after each turn if you are able to capture a territory during that turn. I hope this helps :)

Upvote 0

smunzimus

Awesome Player
cheers! i'd read through the guide and figured it was like risk, but I still couldn't seem to deploy any of my reserves. i'll give it another go when it's my turn.

Upvote 0

mahol

Awesome Player
I have the same problem. It is completely unclear how to deploy reserves and I keep missing my turns because I cannot proceed. Any tips?

Upvote 0

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
hi mahol,

you have to cash in 3 reserve 'cards' at a time. the max you can have is 5, after which the system forces you to cash them in. you can cash in either 3 of the same color reserves or a set of 3 with different colors (red, tan, and white).

Upvote 0

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
To add to coda's post, when you want (or are compelled) to call up reserves (which are displayed in the intel tab), simply click on the three reserves you wish to call up (which have to be all one color or one of each), and click the "call up reserves" button to the right.

Upvote 0

luiziokun

Awesome Player
This is a really counter-intuitive part today, and I guess it is even more for the people who never played Risk.

Upvote 0

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
This is a really counter-intuitive part today, and I guess it is even more for the people who never played Risk.

How do you think the system could be improved? That's what beta is for, to get suggestions from testers.

Upvote 0

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
Jumping in here, I think if they were graphically presented as "cards" it would be much more intuitive.

Also, a small bug is that currently if you go to turn in reserves and click on one of the bolded ones, then uncheck it and change your mind, it doesn't come back bolded. Not a huge deal, but in trying to decide one game which to turn in it took me a bit longer to verify which one was in a territory I owned.

Upvote 0

luiziokun

Awesome Player
How do you think the system could be improved? That's what beta is for, to get suggestions from testers.
Maybe a popup proposing to explain the reserve system in a tutorial fashion. But that would stand out of the rest because I don't see any tutorial.

Actually what is not even evident is that you have to click on three of the buttons that represent the reserve cards. And then click on the button on the right that says "Call x reserve troops". Maybe those buttons could be sort of glowing when reserves can actually be called.

Upvote 0

acaminante

Awesome Player
I was also confused by this my first game until my opponent explained it to me.

I think the interface "as is" works perfectly, but I would do two things:

1) Add screenshots to the wiki page, and explain exactly which actions the user needs to take. For example, I'm told to "call up" the reserves, but I'm not told where I need to click to call them up.

2) Once you have a possible set of reserves, you get an extra "call up reserves" phase just before you deploy. Maybe you should add a red border around the three+ cards to point them out to the user . When the user has five cards and must call up reserves, you get the msg "You must call up reserves" and clicking on the button doesn't do anything. Maybe with that message you could embed a hyperlink in the word "reserves" which would open up the wiki page in a new window.

Upvote 0

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
yeah.. there are several vectors to improve here... both the UI and the explanation of the UI.

Upvote 0

Army

Awesome Player
I'd say, add checkboxes, and highlight more that "Deploy X reserve troops" is a button, and that it belongs to the items on the left.

For the explanation, there's a help feature - doesn't it describe the process during the reserves phase? A better formulation might help people.

Upvote 0

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
I'd say, add checkboxes, and highlight more that "Deploy X reserve troops" is a button, and that it belongs to the items on the left.

For the explanation, there's a help feature - doesn't it describe the process during the reserves phase? A better formulation might help people.

Yes I was thinking of checkboxes my self, only when there is the ability to call up.

Upvote 0

doughboy

Awesome Player
I see no how to call up serves. Gather and click on 3 of a kind or 3 different colors THEN click the button "Reserve Troops". Am I correct to assume that reserves must be called up during the "Deployment" phase?

Upvote 0

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
I see no how to call up serves. Gather and click on 3 of a kind or 3 different colors THEN click the button "Reserve Troops". Am I correct to assume that reserves must be called up during the "Deployment" phase?

yes...that is correct...reserves can only be called up in deployment phase. I know you are from another risk like site...on this site....auto sets only occur if you have 5 cards or more. So if you have 5 cards or more, the system forces you to cash your set. If you happen to kill an opponent and you just gathered 4 cards with a set....you can not cash that set until your next turn...the deployment phase. hope that helps!

Upvote 0