• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Flat rate - something has to be done

paul4763

Awesome Player
Maybe I'm just impatient but some flat rate games are really starting to p**s me off. They just go on and on and on and there's no end in sight. Can something be done, for example I'm sure someone has suggested in the past that after 50 rounds it goes escalite??

I think this would be a great idea, but basically this is kind of half rant half suggestion. Rant = FR games never end. Suggestion = Increase reserve amounts after so much time has elapsed.

edsdad

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Don't like em,don't play em.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I agree and have voiced this a few times myself.
I would prefer Escalate instead actually.

But the problem with 50 rounds is that people have already built up a large troop base.
By switching to escalate then, there is still a long time until the reserves get to be worth anything.
Plus if at round 50 three players all have 300 troops each, the cash ins will only build bigger.

I have been in a few escalate games that never end either because the cash in never get large enough fast enough.

One way to fix this would be to add a STALEMATE setting.
This would accelerate the reserves beyond what we already have. HYPER ESCALATE

At round X, reserves switch from whatever they are to HYPER ESCALATE.
If Flat....6,10,15,25,50,75,150,300,600.....
If Escalite....Current value + 5,10,15,25,50,75,150,300,600.....
If Escalate...Current value + 5,10,15,25,50,75,150,300,600.....

What this will do it make people think about making some moves before.
And ultimately it will finish games, even if players can build and live past those 600 reserve deployments, the 1200 and 2400 the next 2 cash INS will be DOOMSDAY

paul4763

Awesome Player
Don't like em,don't play em.

I agree. Just so happens I didn't reach this conclusion until afterwards. Hence the rant now.

I like what you say Widow, especially four figure cash ins. That'd be siiiiick!!!

thone

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
I love playing Flat rate, and i would really hate it when they would disapear.

Its like edsdag said: "Don't like em,don't play em".

there are other settings, why remove this one because some ppl dont like this?

I dont like the map South America. I really hate the map acctually, but i'm not asking to remove it.
Some ppl just like to play that map. I dont, so i dont play them...

Rimbaud

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
The Duellers Society
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
I love playing Flat rate, and i would really hate it when they would disapear.

Its like edsdag said: "Don't like em,don't play em".

there are other settings, why remove this one because some ppl dont like this?

I dont like the map South America. I really hate the map acctually, but i'm not asking to remove it.
Some ppl just like to play that map. I dont, so i dont play them...

Yeih im agree with this, but wids ideas are really great and this hyperescalate is wow, maybe do another setting like that?

Marauder

Awesome Player
I really do like the idea of a Doomsday or Apocalypse style setting after a certain number of rounds as Widow suggested. It would really cause players to gear up for a wild conclusion to a game. Maybe it could be announced 5-10 rounds ahead via game chat and have a countdown to obliteration...

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
I agree and have voiced this a few times myself.
One way to fix this would be to add a STALEMATE setting.
I was in a horribly epic Classic Massive game with escalate that went 40+ rounds because the map territory bonus quickly outpaced the card bonus.

What about, instead of just cranking up the reserves even higher, after a certain STALEMATE trigger has been reached, we change a few simple game mechanics. Here's my idea:

After X number of rounds where noone has been eliminated (settable by the map creator based on size of map, but for the sake of the argument, let's say 20) attackers get an EXTRA army to attack with if they have them available. So the best odds now are 4v2. If the stalemate continues for the same X turns it ratchets up to 5v2. Then every time someone is eliminated, it backs off one level.

Defcon 1: Normal 3v2 attack
Defcon 2: 4v2 attack
Defcon 3: 5v2 attack
Defcon 4: 6v2 attack
Defcon 5: 6v1 attack

At the beginning of each round, it would definitely need to state what Defcon level we are at and how many rounds until it escalates. I think this is a way to preserve the different Flat, Escalite, Escalate settings while helping to speed up games that are deadlocked.

Seems a bit crazy as I reread it. I don't think I would want to see this kick in for 98% of the games I've been in. But I'd be willing to test a few of these out and see how they play out. Feel free to shred.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
What about after a certain round (say 50 for discussion) a popup asks all players if they want accelarated reserves?
If all players left in the game at that time agree, they system switches to MEGA reserves (whatever that is TBD)
Then play continues.
This will eliminate games where players are stuck behind a pile of troops but no one wants to suicide to let others win (that is really the issues here)

And if there is not agreement, play continues as normal.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Yeah flat rate is here to stay, but a stalemate option is a great idea and one we have throw around a few times. Should probably start another thread about it.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I like wid's idea in post #9. Give people some option to try to end those marathon games.

No problem with having flat rate games, I think they should be here to stay, although I think Chilly's ideas about having different flat rates for different maps is a good one. Having the flat rate be 2 for the mini map and 10 for the massive map and stay at 6 for all the others would be an improvement IMO.

and I personally follow edsdad's suggestion - I play lots of flat rate games on various maps, but I wouldn't join a flat rate game on the massive map if you paid me. Not interested in getting involved in one of those 50-round, months-long marathon games.

paul4763

Awesome Player
Just like to clarify, at no point did I suggest we GET RID of flat rate. Just merely suggested that something be done about those, as Cardinals said, "50-round, months-long marathon games". It's a standard setting, it shouldn't be gotten rid of. I've been playing a lot of triples recently and I think it's a great setting for triples because in those games I prefer more the concept of team work and so teams rely less heavily on reserves.

I guess it is just a case of don't like them don't play them but there are 2 Classic Massive games I'm currently in that I joined when I first joined Majcom... at the end of March, nearly 3 months. That's just absurd and what brought me to starting this thread.

jamesjulius

Awesome Player
I was in a horribly epic Classic Massive game with escalate that went 40+ rounds because the map territory bonus quickly outpaced the card bonus.

What about, instead of just cranking up the reserves even higher, after a certain STALEMATE trigger has been reached, we change a few simple game mechanics. Here's my idea:

After X number of rounds where noone has been eliminated (settable by the map creator based on size of map, but for the sake of the argument, let's say 20) attackers get an EXTRA army to attack with if they have them available. So the best odds now are 4v2. If the stalemate continues for the same X turns it ratchets up to 5v2. Then every time someone is eliminated, it backs off one level.

Defcon 1: Normal 3v2 attack
Defcon 2: 4v2 attack
Defcon 3: 5v2 attack
Defcon 4: 6v2 attack
Defcon 5: 6v1 attack

At the beginning of each round, it would definitely need to state what Defcon level we are at and how many rounds until it escalates. I think this is a way to preserve the different Flat, Escalite, Escalate settings while helping to speed up games that are deadlocked.

Seems a bit crazy as I reread it. I don't think I would want to see this kick in for 98% of the games I've been in. But I'd be willing to test a few of these out and see how they play out. Feel free to shred.

The escalating card rewards would have to be adjusted on Massive Classic to produce the same game play tension that exists in Risk. Rewards would have to be tripled from the beginning: 4 is to 42 as 12.09 is to 127...etc.

jamesjulius

Awesome Player
Just like to clarify, at no point did I suggest we GET RID of flat rate. Just merely suggested that something be done about those, as Cardinals said, "50-round, months-long marathon games". It's a standard setting, it shouldn't be gotten rid of. I've been playing a lot of triples recently and I think it's a great setting for triples because in those games I prefer more the concept of team work and so teams rely less heavily on reserves.

I guess it is just a case of don't like them don't play them but there are 2 Classic Massive games I'm currently in that I joined when I first joined Majcom... at the end of March, nearly 3 months. That's just absurd and what brought me to starting this thread.

The thrill of Risk comes in the later rounds as the game approaches critical mass with multiple potential winners. This is what gives the game its knock out, checkmate, sudden death appeal. The player who makes the most of their card timing, positional strategy and luck has the best winning chances.

In flat rate, and on Massive Classic, all of these key elements are diluted.

Andraste

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Edsdad and I are in an EPIC flat rate game. Up to round 110 now. Please dont change anything. I am really enjoying the match and I think he is, so if its not broke dont fix it. :smile:

Last edited:

Thunderous

Ambassador
Awesome Player
lol, you guys have seen nothing. the game going between Costin, Bitglory and I has been going for 254 rounds and started in early November!!!!

http://www.majorcommand.com/Games/Game.php?gameid=4002

Edsdad and I are in an EPIC flat rate game. Up to round 110 now. Please dont change anything. I am really enjoying the match and I think he is, so if its not broke dont fix it. :smile:

And i have to admit you are right Andraste, im still not over it yet! I dont think its broke, nor should it be fixed :D

edsdad

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter

I'm loving it ! Gotta be like a marathon runner when you play these games,slow and steady.

thone

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
thats wy i LOVE flat rate.

slow and steady :D, nice to have a little chatter ;)