• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

fantasy map

Pezewever

Awesome Player
As a middle earth map is not going to happen very soon or even ever, I thought about something else.
I've read the books of Raymond E. Feist and the maps of those books could easily be used as risk maps. The people who also read these books would most likely agree I think:)

And otherwise we might think about a westeros map?

Off course, these are just ideas, I have no idea about copyright so it's possible we're not allowed to create these maps. But still...

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
If we were to get written permission from the correct people it'd be fine. I'm guessing the Westeros map will be impossible, since a quick google search shows that there's already a game company that has secured the rights to make a westeros map. And Wikipedia shows that Midkemia Press has made games based on the works of Raymond E. Feist.

Of course, just because a company has secured the rights to make a game out of somebody else material does not mean that they have the exclusive rights to do so, but if that company is paying money for something they are probably protecting their investment.

That said, it's possible to skirt copyright by coming up with our own names for things. I could make an almost identical Westeros map and call it Easterees and I'd be in the clear. But that sort of defeats the purpose.

ladynem

Awesome Player
I'd like a new fantasy map, I think if the community here brainstorms about it together we could come up with a fantasy map that's not copied/ based on a completely existing story, but that's original enough to be our own.. I guess.. :)
The 12 domains map is also original & fantasy, 2 more fantasy maps and we could even make great fantasy tourneys!
So who's in for the brainstorm. Do we want wizards, magical creatures, mean trolls, scary forests, glowing deserts, flying yogi?

Pezewever

Awesome Player
well, personally I hate the twelve domains map:p I just like the original settings with a new map:) but inspiration for a completely new fantasy map..? not for the likes of me:p

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
One idea I've been kicking around has been to ask folks to design some 12 Domains companions pieces... you know create other maps within the 12 Domains Universe. For example, somebody could take one of the domains and map it out with more detail to make it a stand-alone map. Or somebody could design one of the castles from the original map, or perhaps map out one of the mountain passes.

The style of play is totally open - doesn't have to resemble the 12 Domains that way - but the maps would be tied together thematically, and the eventual product would resemble the map artistically.

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
One idea I've been kicking around has been to ask folks to design some 12 Domains companions pieces... you know create other maps within the 12 Domains Universe. For example, somebody could take one of the domains and map it out with more detail to make it a stand-alone map. Or somebody could design one of the castles from the original map, or perhaps map out one of the mountain passes.

The style of play is totally open - doesn't have to resemble the 12 Domains that way - but the maps would be tied together thematically, and the eventual product would resemble the map artistically.

I like

ladynem

Awesome Player
That's a good idea Shepherd, I like it!!
Now I really gotta work on my map skills, I either brainstorm way too much or dive into the details too soon ;-)
Luckily we're still in the brainstorm stage.

ObThundersnot

Awesome Player
The Duellers Society

Hmmm...this does sound interesting, to have neighboring lands to the 12 Domains or to zoom in to a specific area. I have an idea that may mesh with this. I'll post it within the next day or so when I have it all worked out, rough map and all.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Hmmm...this does sound interesting, to have neighboring lands to the 12 Domains or to zoom in to a specific area. I have an idea that may mesh with this. I'll post it within the next day or so when I have it all worked out, rough map and all.
I look forward to seeing it! I've already started working on a 12 Domains spin-off, zooming in on the "Forgotten Kingdom" area - so that's off limits!

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
Forgotten Kingdom.. durrrr.. i cannot wait to see this Shep!

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
I assume the castle would have to be crucial and each territory a command

ObThundersnot

Awesome Player
The Duellers Society
I was aiming for something that could fall within the 12 Domains, but looking at it now, perhaps it doesn't fit, but I'll let everyone else decide on that.

The concept is this...there are 9 tribes. Probably a bit more barbarian than the 12 Domains, since they are without castles n' such. Each tribes' area is a command, simple enough. I figured it would be best to have the standard random placement to begin the game, unlike 12 domains, but the same as pretty much everything else. I've not yet worked out the command bonuses, but that is something that can be discussed.

The twist I'd like to implement in this game is that each tribe is associated with an animal (could go the fantasy route here - Kraken, Mountain Giant, Basalisk, etc or could go the more typical animal - Bear, Lion, Eagle, etc.). When you get the command bonus, you also "unlock" the animal, which is not located near the command, but elsewhere next to what is likely enemy territory. In this respect, it is similar to 12 Domains with the tower and dragons, but we'd not all be fighting over control of one place.

Now, to the map...
9-tribes_zps19468f79.jpg

The brightly colored lines are the command borders. The smallish circle/blobs of the same color as the command is that tribe/command's creature. The grey things in the mountains are the mountain pass regions which could start as neutral, since they will probably end up being crucial.

So...whaddya think? The map was rendered in Vue and then brought into Photoshop, if anyone cares to know that. I hadn't really found any maps like this on majorcommand, so I thought it would be unique in that respect, but if it gets changed to the style of 12 domains, that could be good too.

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
I look forward to seeing it! I've already started working on a 12 Domains spin-off, zooming in on the "Forgotten Kingdom" area - so that's off limits!

awesome, if u need some testers count me in :)

empirejeff

Awesome Player
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
12 domains is the greatest!

jburl

Awesome Player
I like the mountain passes idea. Quite independently I thought of a mountain pass map on the massive scale. I think you could have large "continent" areas and narrow passes and yet keep the theme entirely landlocked. In fact you might be able to squeeze more terts on it than Classic Massive. Maybe you could also do something with high ground advantage as an extra twist. Also, if some regions had mines of minerals or something to increase their value, others might be avalanche prone and have auto decay. I guess this wouldn't necessarily have to be a fantasy map but I thought I'd throw it out here and see what y'all thought.:bandit:

ObThundersnot

Awesome Player
The Duellers Society
I hadn't done anything more with this one lately...at least nothing that I've brought forward. I like the idea of avalanches along with catapults in and around the mountain passes, so it wouldn't be easy to hold on to the passes. Maybe I'll hand draw a map with mountain passes, but drop the whole animal/tribe idea.