• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

(DMZ) The battle in Manhattan

cliffsnotes

Awesome Player
Has anyone read the vertigo comic series DMZ? The premise is a civil war in the United States with New York city and environs being one of the contested areas. In the series it is not just the two major sides but the smaller parties in the area as well fighting for real estate and resources.

How cool would a map of the five boroughs with the rivers and waters as barriers bridges and tunnels as connections. I think a battle for the Big Apple would be interesting.

map_boroughs.gif

Last edited:

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Just before we get into this - are there any copyright issues around this idea? ie is the map/idea copyrighted.

As:
Shepherd said:
4. Don't even think about using copyrighted works. We don't have permission to make a Star Wars, Hogwarts, or Middle Earth map. Don't waste your time. I agree, it would be really cool, but it won't happen. No, really, don't bother.

Update on thoughts:
We might be able to make ourselves a battle of New York map or something parallel to those lines. Quite a good idea, actually

Last edited:

mark

Awesome Player
Seems pretty small. What about including the surrounding areas; Jersey City, LI, Westchester, etc?

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Seems pretty small. What about including the surrounding areas; Jersey City, LI, Westchester, etc?

I would like to see something fast pace come out as we have only got one small map on the site which is Classic Mini.

Furthermore there are a lot of community districts around the city.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I would agree that both (1) a NYC map would be quite popular if done right, and (2) we can't use somebody else's intellectual property to make it.

A five region, smallish map might work. Manhattan would probably need to border all of the other four boroughs so Staten Island isn't a dead-end, but otherwise the water makes for perfect impassables. Somebody who knows New York better than I should suggest region divisions.

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Is it possible to take some liberty on the size of the map, or not? as a few central district are as tiny as... um... peas.

cliffsnotes

Awesome Player
I would agree that both (1) a NYC map would be quite popular if done right, and (2) we can't use somebody else's intellectual property to make it.

A five region, smallish map might work. Manhattan would probably need to border all of the other four boroughs so Staten Island isn't a dead-end, but otherwise the water makes for perfect impassables. Somebody who knows New York better than I should suggest region divisions.

I am not saying to use copyrighted work (heaven forbid) all I was doing with the reference to the Vertigo comic was saying were the idea came to me.

The areas surrounding the five boroughs could be included as even larger areas.

cliffsnotes

Awesome Player
Is it possible to take some liberty on the size of the map, or not? as a few central district are as tiny as... um... peas.

Make the Manhattan area bigger so it is possible to "occupy" Wall Street.

Make the map look like it has been around a bit in a street fighter's pocket.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Make the map look like it has been around a bit in a street fighter's pocket.
The first rule of MajorCommand is you do not talk about MajorCommand.

mark

Awesome Player
I would like to see something fast pace come out as we have only got one small map on the site which is Classic Mini.

Furthermore there are a lot of community districts around the city.

I consider Nukes a small map. My 1v1 games are either over in 4-5 rounds or 40-50. All depends on the drop and dice.

Even Classic Mini has ~50 regions. I'm no New Yorker but are there 50 clearly identifiable regions within the boroughs? That would be interesting for someone to take a stab at sketching out.

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Actually Classic Mini only has 24 regions. Any map under 24 regions would not fit with the current structure, right?

mark

Awesome Player
Actually Classic Mini only has 24 regions. Any map under 24 regions would not fit with the current structure, right?

Whoops. I was looking at Classic Evolved. Sorry about that. 24 regions seems reasonable for NYC.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
We could certainly generate a map with fewer than 24 regions, but I would say 24 is a pretty good minimum for game purposes. Fewer regions means larger games would start with just one or two regions per player, which means folks get eliminated before they get a turn. That's no fun.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
I'm a big fan of the DMZ series, there could potentially be a cool map there, but as has been already stated there are significant copyright issues, and if we change things enough to get around copyright, then IMHO at that point we might as well do a straight-up NYC map.

But instead of doing all of the Five Boroughs, the map instead could focus in on, say, lower Manhattan, with a 19th century Gangs of New York theme, where the war is all about controlling turf. That might be cool.

cliffsnotes

Awesome Player
I'm a big fan of the DMZ series, there could potentially be a cool map there, but as has been already stated there are significant copyright issues, and if we change things enough to get around copyright, then IMHO at that point we might as well do a straight-up NYC map.

But instead of doing all of the Five Boroughs, the map instead could focus in on, say, lower Manhattan, with a 19th century Gangs of New York theme, where the war is all about controlling turf. That might be cool.

I am not interested in any "branded" battle map that would get copyright problems. More than using DMZ we could call it civil war front lines.

I kind of like a larger map, you could treat lower Manhattan like Asia in classic with the most points for control and open to attack from most other boroughs.

If we treat it as a gang war go for a 1970s feel. I was thinking about a gang war game. You cold have a game condition for law enforcement if there were too many territories taken in one round by a particular party LE causes an effect in which forces are lost to "attrition" like a police crack down to simulate increased arrests. The same effect could be triggered by too many units in one area neighboring an opposing territory. This would make STRATEGERY (go Bush) more important.