• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Cup Report

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Charge Captain miquel Vs Senior Captain Lackov
miquel ground Lackov's Cup dreams under his heel in the 10 round, giving him his fifth win and taking him into...

THE M.C. CUP FINAL

Charge Cpt. miquel Vs Deputy Major marc369
http://www.majorcommand.com/Games/Game.php?gameid=124789

With five victories under their belts each must feel the hand of destiny upon them. Both finalists are highly decorated and experienced veteren Commanders, miquel playing 1236 games since sept 2010, marc369 2175 games since Sept 2011. Is it the years or is it the milage? Two open top buses have been reserved for the Victory parade. One won't be leaving the garage,

Round 1, marc369 to play. With the drop appearing relatively even miquel chose to kick off in Central America, and while he took the command his dice were not as good as I suspect he hoped for, and his borders weak. marc369 has a choice of accepting miquel's choice of theatre or developing one of his own.

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Round 2, marc369 to play. In just two turns miquel has already taken an impressive early lead. marc369 managed to break Central America but his efforts to develop Scandinavia and Europe provoked a fierce counter offensive in which miquel's Moroccans stormed through Europe all the way to Finland. With the count at 138:115 marc369 has just 12 troops to place on his second turn to stop miquel gaining 21 on his third. Miquel has left plenty of exposed "ones", but marc369 will need to produce something positive for himself if he hopes to lift The Cup.

Last edited:

thone

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
If two players play 1 vs 1 on that map. And both know what they are doing, then its a 90% chance win for the one who started the game.
Only dice failure could result in a possible win/lose.

And these two certainly know what they are doing! :D

marc369

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Just found this and gutted to have missed it

thone

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Your playing the final, and you find this now. How funny is that :p

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Round 4, marc369 to play. Although there's ebb and flow the tide appears to be washing marc369 out of the west, he still maintains a foothold in Canada but otherwise he is out of the Americas, with miquel due both the Andes and Central America bonuses. marc now has 11 men to turn over a 117:70 deficit.

In the 5 rounds leading up to the final:
miquel has defeated Wagen203, th-child, ironztiger, tresitophd and Lackov, gaining 137 points.
marc369 has defeated Dreadnought, CaptainDanger, daangeennam, PKHustle and thone gaining 170 points

thone: there were 6 games in the quarter and semi finals, 3 were won by the first to play, 3 were won by the second. In the previous round on classic evolved of 8 games 5 were won by first to play, 3 by second. My observation over this tournament is that the first round advantage isn't actually quite as important as I had expected it to be.

marc369:: Goes to show you should visit the forum more often

thone

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Cagey, i suggest to recalculate the chances.
And take the matches where inexperienced players where playing out of count.
So only count the games where both players knew the map, and allready played more than 30 games on this website.

I guess the results will be diffent?

Or am i'm mistaken?

(could be :D)

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
I dunno, I concede there's usually an advantage to going first, but I wouldn't put it so high... 66% perhaps? Just my guestimate.

PKHustle

Awesome Player
Yeah, there's a slight advantage to going first but I don't think it's that high. 66% even sounds a bit high, I'd say 60/40 or 55/45. Each turn is different and while the dice could be going great the first couple turns.. the next 4 could force you into exile. Best chance of winning is playing the odds.

Good luck to guys in the final, and my thanks goes out to Cagey for doing this. Really makes the game more interesting and I think things like this really go a long way in establishing a lasting player-base. :)

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Round 6, marc369 to play. gg has been said, marc369 acknowledging that his cup run is about to come to an end. He could fight on, but with 126:30 and income 37:5, not for much longer. Just waiting for the final whistle now before miquel can ascend the stairs and lift The Cup.

Thanks PK, your appreciation is... um... appreciated.

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
In the Eighth round miquel cleared the last units of marc369 off the board to become the first player to win The M.C. Cup

The M.C. Cup

Winner:

miquel

A massive acheivement of 6 straight back to back wins lets the player from Finland lift the M.C. Cup high to the adulation of the crowd!

miquel took 33 points from marc369 to add to the 137 he received from his previous 5 opponents and the 320 prize for the tourney making a massive 490 points profit for his cup run.

marc369 may have lost the final but he walks away with 137 points in his favour over all.

Though he was tired and sweaty after the ordeal of the final we did manage to get these few words from the happy winner:

-Did you enjoy the tournament?
Yes, I enjoyed a lot of playing in this tournament. And of course success made it even more enjoyable ;-)
-Were there any times you thought you'd be losing?
In all classic massive games after a few first turns I was confident that I will lose, luckily that turned at some point in each game.
-Will you defend the Cup when it runs again?
Most likely I will defend the Cup.

marc369 proved too busy to talk to us and I can neither confirm nor deny reports that uncontrollable sobbing has been heard coming from his dressing room, nor that a priest and paramedics have been put on stand-by.

Counting all games in the tournament, over 4 different maps, the first to play won 62% of the time and the higher rank won 57%

I find the arrangement of ranks for the final 4 rather suggestive that, although one game may be a matter of luck, over the six rounds skill and strategic acumen makes it's mark.

...so, for this season that's it from the M.C. Cup and from me about it, I hope all the players and spectators have enjoyed the tournament and these reports.

marc369

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
I was busy but free now!! Yes I was still crying into my corn flakes this morning due to the annihilation of my dream......

I would like to thank cagey for arranging a fantastic tournament and hope he will do another real soon, the effort put into this thread on the tournament must of been great but I think it worked well, I as everyone should thank him for that and ask that he can do so again. If cagey you put this on again then I think you should make sure that everyone who joins the tournament knows of this thread, so they can enjoy the full experience.

I enjoyed the tournament my 1st tournament win was a 2 player tournament called quick and dirty, which dreadnought had won also before me so when I see my 1st game here was against him I knew it would be a battle, luckily he did not show up that was my 1st stroke of luck in this tournament.

My next bit of luck was going 1st in all my games up until the semi's when I come up against Thone, where he had the advantage of going 1st, there was some bad luck for him 1 region went blank and we had to fix it, it cost Thone a command for a round only worth 1 troop but still hard on him, I fell it did not matter as my plan was to get 2 commands and make him have to come at me(sometimes you have to goad the other player on to you, make him do what you want him to do) I was lucky with the drop and this made it possible to get the commands needed and make him attack me where i wanted, I come out on top due to 2 of the 3 things you need going second 1st a good drop, 2nd luck(good dice), 3rd a lot of experience playing 2 player games.

In the final I tried the same and set up where I was strong and could take a command to force Miquel to attack me, it worked right up until the point he attacked.......I did not see it but it must have been awesome I doubt he lost more then 3 rolls and that was game, his dice were unbelievable, now I am not blaming that as he is a good player and deserved the win. Congrats Miquel your a worthy winner.

I hope that is of interest to some people and that I have not given to much away, with regard to my tactics :)

Cagey if you do this again post-match interviews on some games would be really interesting to find out how people played it from both sides.

thone

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Cagey, thanks for the reports! It was fun to play like that!