• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Classic Massive - NZ has always bugged me on it!!

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
Would it be a possibility to change "New Zealand North" and "New Zealand South" to North Island and South Island?

If you google north island, NZ is the only thing that comes up on the front page of google, same for south island.

Really, north and south island are the most common english names for it among New Zealanders, and it's always been a pet peeve to see it written as it is on the classic massive map - though I am glad to see NZ in the maps at all!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Island_(disambiguation)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Island_(disambiguation)
The main options are New Zealand.

Any reason why this couldn't be changed, or if it saying NZ North and NZ South is better than just North Island and South Island? It's not like New Zealand is a single area on the map, it's not "Australian Queensland" or "Australian NSW" or "Western Aussie" - Well, ignore Western and South Aussie - or "Brazilian Amazonas" or "USA Sunbelt" etc, it's what those actual territories are commonly called in New Zealand. They also have Maori names, South being Te Waipounamu and North being Te Ika-a-Māui but they aren't very commonly used, and I had to copy and paste those because I knew they existed but had no idea what they were.

ToLazy;Don'tRead: As a NZer, a change on Classic Massive from NZ North --> North Island and NZ South --> South Island would be a pleasant change :D

Raken

Awesome Player
I would also appreciate this change.

linkinpark

Awesome Player
Generals
The Embassy
Actually, when I google North Island, the first result is North Island, Seychelles. I mean, it's not uncommon, that foreigners and locals don't use the same names or aren't used to the other name. For the sake of better clarification, New Zealand North seams to be reasonable. Just my thougt.

Raken

Awesome Player
This isn't about local vs foreigners name usage. The name is North Island. It isn't known as anything else (other than the Maori name).
Why separate it at all if it isn't going to have the correct name?

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
(thank you Raken :p)

Hmm, interesting - which country is your google? Perhaps mine may be a bit biased, being in the North Island of New Zealand after all :p I still think my point stands though, at the most you'd say "North Island of New Zealand" to those unfamiliar of our sometimes not so well known country, but this is a game of regions. I'd rather have just the whole plot as New Zealand, at least that wouldn't annoy me as much.

New Zealand isn't mentioned on many maps on this site, and it just always bugs me in the one spot where our islands are differentiated, it isn't even using any form of their official names!!

To argue against myself, there are a few nicknames around the place (Outback = Northern Territory and larger or smaller countries that were split into smaller or larger areas just for simplicity), but if the two Islands were to be put together on the map, I would think North and South Island would be the correct names rather than North New Zealand and South New Zealand (plus it would be far shorter anyway :D)

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
(relevant part starting a bit before 20 seconds!
'respectively called north and south island"

An interesting video anyway, that scratches the surface of NZ for those that don't know much about the country!!

I don't even mind the NZ part being in both their names as long as the word "island" was added at the end of it :p