• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Classic Evolved Strategy - When to think owning a big continent.

5battalions

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
At the first rounds of a classic evolved game it ever happened to see a position that a attack to a big continent like N America or Europe was good for the game. Ever?

What importance have big continents(europe;n.america;asia; ) in classic evolved strategy? any thoughts? :hmmmm2::hmmmm2:

Last edited:

calume

Awesome Player
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
it is pretty much depending how many players are involve and on what kind of settings the game is, sure is easier to conquer small continents to get the bonus but in some cases when not getting much chances of conquering any of the smaller continents because of a poor drop, then a larger one could be the only way to success, other players aiming to get control of the smaller ones will put their deploy troops fighting for those, so expanding in a larger one might pay off, keeping a fair amount at (or near) the borders to try for truces or to break in, sometimes just being out of the trafic in the first few rounds gives time to gather troops against a weak opponent, I am actually playing in a classic evolved game which has same senario, take a look https://www.majorcommand.com/games/355009/

Cheers

5battalions

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
ok, the starting position is important to decide if a bigger continent is good to fight for, i agree. the importance of a big continent here is if we are not at drop to fight for a smaller one we fight for a bigger thats fine. logically if we are not at a smaller continent we are at a bigger one the problem is defend it after have it(lots of troops to conquer that arent already at board to defend it)... and as said truces are important, blocking a way is very important, even if is needed to defend a border somewhere, one less to think for.for me big continents are also important cause they connect others like, europe is a continent that's near all excluding oceania,antarctida... south america is right there through mahgreb.

tks for reply

Last edited:

BearNecessities

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Enemies of Diplomacy
T.O's.
Moreso than in other maps, I've found that securing an early command in Classic Evolved (escalate) can be akin to painting a target on your head. Perhaps is the low avg player count or the high frequency of new players that play Classic Evolved that lead to that behavior. Whatever the reason, I've noticed that unless I stack my choke points (hostile border regions of my commands) with 2x or more the number of troops of the adjacent opponent, I'll be on the receiving end of hostilities in the majority of games, even when such attacks are significantly detrimental to the attacker's long term chances of winning. Consequently, Calume's point about using diplomacy to help secure (ideally with someone in a similarly small continent) is critical, especially if you can land diplo agreements before securing the region in question.

BlueVelvet

Awesome Player
I think it depends if you are playing in a 2 or 4 player game, I played a guy called Once yesterday and he took Australia in the first round and I had no chance of breaking the command, he stacked the choke points as you suggested. I used my troops to take as many territories as I could in other regions reducing his deploy. He crept out of Australia keeping the command protected. In 3 rounds I reduced his deploy and increased mine while he still held the command. That was game over as I had too many regions in other areas for him to catch up. There is more than one strategy, had he left the command and switched strategy he would have won. As he didn't for 2 rounds my seemingly random strategy easily won. Don't get too hung up on small commands it can be false security and protecting them can make you week in other areas. Play the player.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
I think it depends if you are playing in a 2 or 4 player game, I played a guy called Once yesterday and he took Australia in the first round and I had no chance of breaking the command, he stacked the choke points as you suggested. I used my troops to take as many territories as I could in other regions reducing his deploy. He crept out of Australia keeping the command protected. In 3 rounds I reduced his deploy and increased mine while he still held the command. That was game over as I had too many regions in other areas for him to catch up. There is more than one strategy, had he left the command and switched strategy he would have won. As he didn't for 2 rounds my seemingly random strategy easily won. Don't get too hung up on small commands it can be false security and protecting them can make you week in other areas. Play the player.
I like your point. Well put.

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
+1 From me on that, I have fallen for that a few times also, thinking command and large defend stacks will win the game, only to lose to someone with no command but a lot more regions. If you are not paying attention to the number of terts being held.

5battalions

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
BearNecessities
yes.. players tend to break a command if it is good odds on the attack.. humm secure before that's smart...

+1 also
being adaptive is important...........
Sometimes is hard to get out of a command deploy security and the play becames less flexible.

Last edited: