• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

City Map - New York

ajdedo

I Shot the Sheriff
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Last edited by a moderator:

B1G4NF

Awesome Player
Yeah I like that idea... London could be a good one too... lots of boroughs and a B1G river through the middle bringing the bridges into play as strategic territories.

FLAGG

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
I like the idea too. New York and London.

Flagg

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
a good idea. anybody want to try their hand at the layout?

ajdedo

I Shot the Sheriff
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
I guess I'll try to move this forward. What should I do next?

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Start with drawing up a draft if you can - just need a basic layout of regions and connections and shapes

B1G4NF

Awesome Player
London by postal code and by boroughs

Attachments

• London by postal code.JPG
    London by postal code.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 162
  • London by boroughs.JPG
    London by boroughs.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 148

ajdedo

I Shot the Sheriff
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Lol.... London looks like one hell of a fight. I'd like to try that map exactly as it is now!

I'm going to come up with a NY map now.

Even though I've visited London 6 times and have never been to NY. NY just seems to lend itself to gangs and post apocalyptic tyranny. ;-)

Last edited:

ajdedo

I Shot the Sheriff
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Okay, here's a starter map - I wasn't sure about New Jersey, but I added it just to connect Staten Island to the rest of NY a bit better. Each burrow has a ton of neighbourhoods, so I wasn't too sure how detailed I should get.

Attachments

• 1052px-5_Boroughs_Labels_New_York_City_Map copy.jpg
    1052px-5_Boroughs_Labels_New_York_City_Map copy.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 184

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
The previous image would most likely be the map for commands. Personally, I have seen the NY neighbourhoods map, and some neighbourhoods are just insanely small, while others compared side on are too big. You might want to try and take on planning out the regions, so that we can see your vision of the map - how it plays out etc.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I like the map. Maybe the 2 airports could be incorporated, similarly to the Drop zones on the Africa map? Places they could bombard, possibly? And maybe Jersey should be split into 2 smaller commands? What if the airports were not part of any command, but a plus-1 with bombarding capability to various locations around the map? That would greatly decrease any linearity the map has. Anyway, looks like a great start, ajdedo.

ajdedo

I Shot the Sheriff
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Thanks. I thought Jersey could be a "neutral" zone since it isn't really part of New York.

I thought maybe several different players could have troops on Jersey at the same time without having to battle for it.

And yeah, the 2 airports have possibilities too.

I guess I'll sketch out neighbourhoods and regions next.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
My thoughts...

• Including any part of New Jersey will likely upset some New Yorkers, but it does make for a better map as it will allow additional connections to Staten Idea. I like the idea of making the regions there "neutral" - I assume this means not a part of a command.

• New York's airports aren't really used to bombard anybody, so far as I know. However, they would make for an interesting additional bonus similar to the oil fields bonus in Middle East. It could be set up so that if you hold all three airport you get +2 - it would be hard to hold, but with only three regions to hold it would be attractive at the start of the game.

• There's a size question: lots of regions and commands, or few? New York City has so many little neighborhoods worth depicting that I can see this being a large-ish map, 60-80 regions. With that many regions, six commands won't do - thus boroughs would need to be split up. The alternative is to keep each borough as a single command, which would mean the map would need to have only 35-45 regions or so. Because you want to have a couple of commands that can be held early in the game.

• An alternative that allows for both few commands and a large number of regions would be to allow a player to collect a bonus without holding the entire command; say if you hold any four regions in a command you get +2, any 6 is +3, any 8 is +4, etc. We don't have such a rule written for the site yet, but we could probably make it happen by the time the map is fully developed and the art completed.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Here's what the larger version of a New York neighborhoods/boroughs map might look like. Each borough has a LOT of regions, so I'm setting up partial bonuses for holding half of a borough. We could either color code each borough with a north and south half that could be held independently, OR we could create a new rule to go with the map that gives a bonus for holding X regions within a set (this is on the to-do list already). Either method would be interesting.

I've gone ahead and given the New Jersey command(s) a bonus, since they're so big. Don't want to have dead space on the map.

NewYork01.jpg

I made an error, and listed Queens twice in the key... the first "queens" should be Staten Island.

Last edited:

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I'm going to keep going ahead with this map idea, because I personally think it's the best we have going so far... and I could see this becoming a series of urban/city maps.

Here's what i think would be a far superior version of a New York map; smaller, 42 regions, with straightforward bonuses. Since there aren't many great places to start there are special bonuses for holding all three airports and all three stadiums. I feel smaller is better for this map because so much of the map area is water/dead space... trying to cram all of those regions into Manhattan is possible, but it will be rather messy to play on. I like clean maps.

NewYorkSmall01.jpg

Meh - caught an error. Jersey has ten regions in this version. It's still 42 total - I was toying with making Queens 1- and Jersey nine, and I'm still not sure which is better. Probably Queens at 10, since we're trying to downplay the Jersey side.

The idea that was discussed earlier about giving no bonus for New Jersey is a good one... the Jersey regions would still have value for their part in the stadium and airport bonuses, and as a route of travel from Manhattan to Staten Island. That would actually make the map pretty interesting IMHO.

Last edited:

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Personally I also like the cleaner version, especially where manhattan is so cramped in the first.

Dreadnought

Awesome Player
Berlin looks like an excellent city for a map.

BerlinDistricts.svg

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Hey dread, this thread has pretty much turned into a New York City map discussion. I've changed the name of the thread to reflect that. But I'd be open to discussing a Berlin map in another thread. In fact, I've already made a Berlin map for another site, which I wouldn't mind taking another crack at.

ajdedo

I Shot the Sheriff
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Hey Shep - Sorry I haven't replied. A few ideas I had while I was "away" included ->

1) perhaps using the underground subway system as a way to join regions if needed.
2) And when I mentioned Jersey as Neutral, I was thinking that more than 1 player could occupy Jersey at the same time, in safety, without the need to attack or be attacked.

------------------ EDIT ---------------------

Actually, now that I saw your maps - the subway idea probably won't fit.

Perhaps on another day we could do ONLY a subway map - like for NY or LONDON which has a famous underground.

------------------ EDIT II ------------------

What about a simple map - but with inner city regions - similar to the BRITISH ISLES map.

You can have HARLEM or CENTRAL PARK as an insert or extension of the main NY map.

Attachments

• Central_Park_Map.png
    Central_Park_Map.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
If you decide to go for more neighborhoods, why not just make it like the sub-commands in Asia. But put 3 or 4 different sub-command in the larger borough command.