• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Can any of you coder dudes help me with PHP question/s?

navycheBANNED

Awesome Player
I get the impression there are some programmers on this site, and if so I was wondering if I ask you guys some questions.

Right now, I have one particular problem I'm trying to solve that I could use some help with. In general, too, I would greatly appreciate a mentor-type who I could ask some basic (hopefully not too annoying) questions while I try to re-learn PHP/JS.

Danke, NC.

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
i wouldn't mind helping out, although i am certainly no expert. However JS and PHP are what i know best as far as web programming goes

stonebergftw

Awesome Player
I get the impression there are some programmers on this site, and if so I was wondering if I ask you guys some questions.

Right now, I have one particular problem I'm trying to solve that I could use some help with. In general, too, I would greatly appreciate a mentor-type who I could ask some basic (hopefully not too annoying) questions while I try to re-learn PHP/JS.

Danke, NC.

Did you ever solve you're problem?

navycheBANNED

Awesome Player
Hey guys, thanks for the offers!

I actually solved my first set of php problems on my own, but I'll surely need help more in the near future. Although I can hack around, I don't consider myself a programmer, and could definitely use your guys' help, if the offer is still on the table.

One thing I was wondering: what text PHP editor/environment do the pros you? I'm currently just using DW and XAMPP, but I imagine there are more sophisticated set-ups than that. Any advice for the noob?

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player

I actually solved my first set of php problems on my own, but I'll surely need help more in the near future. Although I can hack around, I don't consider myself a programmer, and could definitely use your guys' help, if the offer is still on the table.

One thing I was wondering: what text PHP editor/environment do the pros you? I'm currently just using DW and XAMPP, but I imagine there are more sophisticated set-ups than that. Any advice for the noob?

I work remotely 99% of the time. I have xampp installed for the rare occasions I need to do something locally, but most of my work is client work. I used Dreamweaver for a long time as my main IDE, mainly due to its awesome ftp system, which up until about 2 years ago no other ide did too well. Currently i use Aptana on the day to day. Its got better remote file handling than Dreamweaver, error highlighting, as well as debugging javascript and php.

Aptana is ideal if i'm working on a project that requires a good mix of html, css, javascript, and php. I use Zend editor for php heavy projects, simply because it makes php debugging extremely easy.

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers

I use netbeans

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Isn't xampp like a pre-packaged LAMP stack? I've never used it.

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
Isn't xampp like a pre-packaged LAMP stack? I've never used it.

XAMPP is a prepackage LAMP stack and its pretty nifty. Especially on windows, where getting things configured isn't as easy as in linux. It's fully featured, making sure you set up security, and it includes all the 'good' php stuff. It's an awesome tool

stonebergftw

Awesome Player
I don't use an IDE myself, since I'm a small time coder. I'm going to take a look at Zend though, since everything I do is heavy on php. I just hate bloated software. :\

Edit: I tried out Zend Studio, and I'll definitely be using that from now on. I unfortunately don't understand how to use PHP unit sessions to debug though. Not completely sure how you can debug a non-compiled language.

Last edited: