• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Any chance we will see a map of Middle Earth?

MNGarseeah

Awesome Player
Just curious. The nerd-beast inside of me would love to battle within this realm.

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
As far as I know, we won't be seeing anything close to copyrighted material in the near future, or possibly ever. I think this has been discussed before, I'll try to find the thread for you.

Upvote 0

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
This will not happen unless we have the rights to use that imagery, which we don't have, and i'm betting its quite costly to license.

Upvote 0

MNGarseeah

Awesome Player
ah yes, that's what I thought--maybe we can do battle on the planes of Roban, leading up to the gates of Mardar :)

Upvote 0

Pizzetto

Awesome Player
While we are day dreaming, I always thought Arrakis would be very cool. Sietch warfare could make some really interesting rules.

Upvote 0

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
The Tolkein estate is pretty aggressive in the defense of their copyright...

Upvote 0

warneke

Awesome Player
Yeah, that's not going to happen. Right now Middle Earth Enterprises has the rights to LOTR for gaming purposes licensed out to Warner Brothers and they just renewed it last month. My guess is that MajCom doesn't have the pockets to outbid Warner Brothers. Unless you'd like to donate some cash.

Upvote 0

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
it's not even a matter of outbidding for the licensing...
MajCom, is all about our own creations.

maps depicting worlds of our own demise or glory. :p

Upvote 0

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
So did I see right that there's going to be a new map at the RTR2?

Upvote 0

Pezewever

Awesome Player
hmm, been a very, very long time since there was action in here. But I don't really want to start a new thread as I basically have the same question.
Considering copyright, would they care? Or even notice there is a middle earth map here? I doubt it.
Not only this, but third age total war... Do they have a license or copyrights? They are just modders right? so they probably didn't bought it. And they created an entire overhaul. So explain to me again in detail why there is never going to come a middle earth map?

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
just because other people are violating the copyright and not being charged doesn't make it right. The Tolkein family (and those they have licensed) own the rights to all things Middle Earth. Not being caught or charged doesn't make it OK.

Upvote 0

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Tolkein's people probably wouldn't notice, and if they did they wouldn't care. That's because they've already sold the rights to make Middle Earth into a board game or an on-line game to Hasbro. It's no longer their concern.

You know who would notice? Hasbro. Then they'd send their legal team after us, and threaten to shut this site down. It will happen. It has happened at other sites. I've seen it.

Upvote 0

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
well, for what it's worth, I agree with you, its too bad. I'd LOVE to see a good map or two of middle earth - one of Beleriand would be awesome. But I understand why its not going to happen.

Upvote 0

ladynem

Awesome Player
well there's of course nothing that stands in the way of creating a somehwat magical world by yourself :))
Why not open a thread in that mapmaking forums and brainstorm about another world?

Upvote 0