• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Acknowledging Achievement

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
I thought that I would open this topic for discussion.

Is there a way that MajCom could recognize the members who, over the years, contributed much to the site? Maybe there could be like a Hall of Fame tab, and it could contain a curriculum vitae of each HOF member. This would include their playing accomplshments as well as ways that they contributed to make the site better.

I orininally thought of this for retired members, so we could give some historical perspective to MajCom. I occasionally find retired players' names in old threads and wonder what part they played on the site. But now I think this should be open to nominating anyone, although years on the site would pretty much be necessary to have qualified for this type of recognition that I am suggesting.

Maybe we could have a committee of senior members to come up with nominees. Maybe there could be one member or ex-member recognized each month. Or there could be several nominated to start with, then several more added once a year (with much fanfare...lol}.

The HOF is only one possibilty, there could be other ways to do this. I am not sure if this has ever been discussed before in forums. I just thought I would start the conversation. Please share your ideas - lots of them, ok?

I will personally appreciate each member who takes time to post their thoughts to this thread!

Btw...ndrm31 was my inspiration for this thread. #2 in tournaments created! #3 in tournament games played! :adore:

micky

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
T.O's.
Young Guns
Here are my comments,
1. HOF for members who have been absent for some time, even for a few weeks or months. I don’t want to say retired, because there is always a possibility that they may come back. Should also include active members who have helped shape MC, and are still doing so. No need for a committee there imo.

2. I like the idea of a once a month nomination – which I would separate from the above (which is more for capturing MC’s history). Anyone could nominate a player for any reason (fair play in a specific game, wittiness, best teammate, best joke, original avatar, superb organised tournament, …) This way all players at MC can participate and become “the person of the month”. Who will nominate the committee? You could ask the players to come up with names of people they think suitable for this task.
:)

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
I orininally thought of this for retired members, so we could give some historical perspective to MajCom.

Yes! I like this idea!

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
I like it too. I've often thought it would be really great to have some page dedicated to players that have retired from the site.

As for a hall of fame - yeah that could work too. I wonder though if it might turn into a bit of a popularity contest with people nominating friends, etc.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I like it too. I've often thought it would be really great to have some page dedicated to players that have retired from the site.

As for a hall of fame - yeah that could work too. I wonder though if it might turn into a bit of a popularity contest with people nominating friends, etc.

I'd suggest a committee to consider/vote on nominations

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
For retired members you should be able to just write a script that looks at the last time that played, maybe 6 months or something like that, maybe ordered by number of games playes so the more prolific players that are no longer playing are listed at the top.

I like the idea of a committee, I would Volunteer for something like that, I missed out on the bata testing, and that would have been right up my alley.

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
I nominate micky for the committee - she sounds like the right person to judge who's up for honourable mention :) And - it was her idea in the first place

empirejeff

Awesome Player
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Should be people who familiar with most/all of the players, and will not be biased.

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Here are my comments,
1. HOF for members who have been absent for some time, even for a few weeks or months. I don’t want to say retired, because there is always a possibility that they may come back. Should also include active members who have helped shape MC, and are still doing so. No need for a committee there imo.

If we restricted the Hall of Fame (HOF) to retired/former members, that becomes awkward if they return again and play. Also, there may be more qualified active members who may not receive their just recognition until they leave. Why wait?

Masterjskye has a valid point about it potentially becoming a becoming a bit of a popularity contest, but perhaps a committee could set some weighted average criteria to vet the best candidates. That is, each could be objectively rated as whether they get points for the following: having attained a general's rank, being on the top ten list or lists of something, longevity (years sacrificed to share their talents with MC...lol) tournament facilitator, moderator, number of forum posts, as well as other things. Additional points could be added for "other" contributions as considered by the committee, but it could decline to use subjective considerations such a friendliness, good team player, sense of humour.

The rating system would be a guidelines for the committee when voting. Maybe we could limit the numbers to 5 per year, so the committee could focus on the top five, rather than how many should qualify the first time.

An alternative to a HOF would be to have a MajCom History tab. I could see it (instead of a HOF) having a written history of MajCom, with its problems, changes and updates, as well as references to members who made a difference along the way. Also a part of the tab would be a listing of notable past players, where we could essentially give them a blurb about their achievements and contributions. This way, if they become active again, it's not such a big of a deal than if we had put them in a HOF. Maybe the tab could also have a list of references to notable past forum threads that members might find interesting, such a masterjskye's "The List". https://www.majorcommand.com/forums/threads/7960-The-List

Hopefully this type of tab would interest most current and new members and make them fell like they know MajCom better.

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Here are my comments,

2. I like the idea of a once a month nomination – which I would separate from the above (which is more for capturing MC’s history). Anyone could nominate a player for any reason (fair play in a specific game, wittiness, best teammate, best joke, original avatar, superb organised tournament, …) This way all players at MC can participate and become “the person of the month”. Who will nominate the committee? You could ask the players to come up with names of people they think suitable for this task.
:)

In this regard, I suggest that we have a "Player of the Month" and a runner-up. These could be the members who get the biggest increase in their score during a calendar month. Perhaps we should exclude tournament winnings (not for the games, just the prize) from the calculation so that 960 and 480 winners won't dominate the award month after month.

I'm not sure how a monthly award could be made based on the other subjective criteria given that everyone might have different ideas as to what a person of the month should be. Perceptions on a text-message-based site like this can vary widely.

If we opted not to have a HOF, perhaps we could honour one active member each month as a builder/contributor. Although subjective, it would be based on the member's entire time on MajCom.