• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

About that Crusade game...

Tapeworm

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Hey people!

There's a 24 player game with 15/24 filled. 12v12. Team 1 is invite only and they are filled up. Good for them.

Then there's a team open to anyone. Right now that's me, srjyj, and StudioCity. Come join. Let's underdog!

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail. Don't you hate when that happens?

Seriously though, is there any enjoyment in being an underdog in a game like this? It just seems to me that this would be like a long slow death.

I have to wonder why these "stacked" crusade games are even proposed. It seems like they would be pretty safe wins for those invited. A safe game for generals and other high-ranked players who might otherwise risk losing lots of points to lower-ranked players in a more competitive game.

That's just my view though. Maybe I am missing something.

Tapeworm

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
I join hopeless causes frequently and often find them not so hopeless after all. I know I've won more than a couple Crusade games from the less obviously favored side. And c'mon, it's fun!

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Can you be a bit more specific?

Have you ever won a crusade game as an underdog against a team stacked as well as the one in this game? You do realize why they stack the team, right?

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Tapeworm. I just think it would be better directed into more competitive games than this one.

Also, I respect your right to choose the games in which you wish to play. I just don't understand the logic here.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
I just don't understand the logic here.

I dunno, man.

I play some crusades. I don't set them up though, nor are they my idea, but when I get an invite (and if I like to team up with the player who sent it) I join.

I usually am totally uninformed about who else gets an invite (i.e. how 'stacked' the game is), but I think it is less sinister in this case than you think.

For one, I assume these games are more about UDOs than points. Winning crusades is an effective way of hunting medals. Of course, you actually have to win the game, hence you invite players whose abilities you trust and are dedicated enough to care. I guess there must be a correlation (not causation) between those two things and rank. I guess. As I said I don't think there is a sinister plan in motion nor do I get pm's about "noob hunting".

And second, I lost a couple of crusades recently.
364302 and 364301 comes to mind (Tapeworm was involved in both of them) and while the players on the other team were no slouches of course, based on rank both of those games should have been slam dunks.

I personally lose all kinds of games to all kinds of players all the time. No player/team is unbeatable.

I also remember some games from the days when I was an up-and-coming player and sometimes I managed to show the big guys of that era how this game is played. Man, those wins felt good.

I guess that can be a good incentive for everyone to join those games. Not for the points to win, but for the opportunity to slay the dragon. They are also a good way to practice team games.

(Then again, I understand why you are not interested. You obviously have a few killed dragons under your belt, already know how to play team games, and I know you actually get annoyed by mistakes/carelessness in strategy and those things are to be expected in crusades. :) )

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
(Then again, I understand why you are not interested. You obviously have a few killed dragons under your belt, already know how to play team games, and I know you actually get annoyed by mistakes/carelessness in strategy and those things are to be expected in crusades. :) )

Thanks for your thoughtful response, th. I respect you a lot and I enjoy your posts all the time.

In fact, I appreciate all the members who make thoughtful and well-reasoned posts. I really like communicating on MajCom, in forums, games and in PMs. But most members probably have already noticed that.

UDOs and medals never cross my mind at all, so you may have a point there. Not a great point, but a point, nonetheless.

You have me pegged pretty well. I played in one of these "stacked" crusade games once. I contributed a lot of strategic assistance, but just a few crucial errors by players on my team, who maybe rushed ther turns, probably cost us the game against the normally consistent and efficient team of generals and their associates. To be honest, my teammates often followed my suggestions and appreciated my ideas. I would be concerned that the team unity we eventually built in that game may never be duplicated. because we came to communicate so well. Guys like bilsi, palmono and 5battalions, and many others were a part of that fine effort.

I checked your game references. You and Tapeworm are correct - the dragons can be slain.

I apologize for somewhat hi-jacking Tapeworm's simple plea for players to fill his game This just happens to be an issue that irks me a bit...lol. Also, this is only my opinion on the matter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Therefore, I encourage all players who are still interested after reading my concerns, to go join these games. I also don't like to see games wasting away while waiting for players to fill them.

Another thing I don't care for about 24 player games is that they move so slow. However, having considered th's great response here, I have decided to join this game. Even if it doesn't go well for my team, I will get my enjoyment by chatting...lol.

Let's get this game started! :vroam:

Last edited:

ericjkline

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
They do fill slow which is why there are usually several posted waiting to fill. They are a good way to get the CUDO, which is kind of a fun goal to chase. You need the stars to align. I like the crusades, even when stacked, because (a) there’s not much difference in skill level between the #1 and #200 ranked player, so there is real risk, and the point costs are high. Airbus the underdog wins, they likely gain 70-90 points, so its like winning a small tournament. (b) I like the teamwork and chatter with the invited players. We often try to pull new people in. Rank is not the reason corn who is invited. It’s that the game creator knows them, knows they don’t miss turns, pass troops, let teammates know if they’ve have a set, don’t over attack, and have good humor.

So please do sign up, people. A team led by Tapeworm is incredibly dangerous to a team of generals, but you nee to work together, not play for individual glory, and you can’t make very many mistakes. The dice are tough enough without self induced ice cubes!

Tapeworm

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
I need to pay more attention to my own posts! Thanks th-child, I was about to cite those two games in particular. I think everyone has already mentioned what my responses to kenjoh's questions would have been. Good luck in the game all.

Tapeworm

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Hey, will this work twice?

Here's a Europe Massive Crusade that happens to be 15/24 at the moment. I need teammates. Have a look!

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter
Woaw, you guys made my morning while reading this threat.

I have to admit that I do follow Kenjoh's first post in regards to "Grrrr, I am frightened to give those generals extra UDO's again because 2 or 3 teamplayers might go AWOL or just play without reading the chatter". And I do believe a lot of "underdogs" think like this, which is why those games fill up slowly.

But than I agree with TH's answer as well. I joined some of those crusades and won them (with or without Tapeworm) and it gives a feeling like "mwahaha we got them those generals (evilface)". Let us join Tapeworm, team up and beat some high-ranked players (evilerface) :p .

Cheers

micky

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
T.O's.
Young Guns
You convinced me and I'll join. Challenge alright :)

Last edited:

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
Woaw, you guys made my morning while reading this threat.

I have to admit that I do follow Kenjoh's first post in regards to "Grrrr, I am frightened to give those generals extra UDO's again because 2 or 3 teamplayers might go AWOL or just play without reading the chatter". And I do believe a lot of "underdogs" think like this, which is why those games fill up slowly.

But than I agree with TH's answer as well. I joined some of those crusades and won them (with or without Tapeworm) and it gives a feeling like "mwahaha we got them those generals (evilface)". Let us join Tapeworm, team up and beat some high-ranked players (evilerface) :p .

Cheers

Just today I logged on to one I'm in. against a very stacked team and the first player I the team that I play for. It's a 1 game contract, no guaranteed points up front, but the deal is back loaded with all kinds of incentives for big points. Well Hortik plays first and well, let's just say on his very first turn. he kills two of them stacked players and they play early on as well. As long as there is communication and no missing turns. Winning against the big guys is more fun. th- brought up good points about the UDO'S and yes kenjoh a person standing alone usually loses to the tank, but always remember Tiananmen Square and what that one risky person did. They stopped a tank dead in it's tracks. So pick up your weapons and enter into battle.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
Yeah, Hortik started by killing 2 opponents. I'm going to refrain from giving pep talks in the future. :banghead:

Tapeworm

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Wanna hear the weird part? I'm a singles player. Look at my statistics.

I just took to team play recently. I'm a bit shocked how much I enjoy it.

I have never, ever, cared about my score. Every game I join (or create) is for entertainment. Sometimes I (or WE!) win despite all odds.

That is the best way to win. But you gotta be in it to win it.

So join me. It's just a game. We might win.

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter
Yeah, Hortik started by killing 2 opponents. I'm going to refrain from giving pep talks in the future. :banghead:

Please continue, it really boosted the team :)

ericjkline

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
A lot of generals, are getting curb stomped in *that* game at the moment. I think it’s going to be an 85 pt loss for a few! The great proletariat cultural revolution has started!

Tapeworm

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Last edited:

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter
Hey all, what's that game where Hortik led off strong? I haven't seen that one.

That was indeed a massacre, some good dice helped a lot, especially on a small map where everyone starts with one tert.
Thanks for mentioning my name Tapeworm, but we were 12 to kick them :D