• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

A different type of play

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
I don't know if anyone else has noticed a player climbing the leaderboard and I would put money on that they will be a the top soon and probably go for the highest score record.

It's an interesting strategy that certainly takes a level of motivation and persistence to maintain, inviting new players that are recently registered to the site, not familiar with it and that will typically go awol. It has proven a sound strategy for this player and it's a sure fire way to continually climb the leaderboard with low..very low risk games.

I'm not sure I agree with the strategy, it certainly takes the spirit of the leaderboard away and it seems a very machiavellian. I would almost definitely put it in the category of stealing sweets from unsuspecting children.

I wonder if this has an impact on if the new payers will return to the site?

I take my pleasure, if that's what I would call it? from the fair competition of pitting my wits against other good players as apposed to finding a way around the fair play to win. It could be argued that there is nothing unfair about it but I base this on my understanding of the spirit of fair play. It could also be argued that the player is inviting them to games so they can play and learn from an experienced player?

Each to their own I suppose, this player is certainly not doing anything wrong but I find it interesting and amusing at the same time.

Before I get the 'There is nothing in the rules about this strategy', that is not what this post is about. It's just my opinion and observations of a particular strategy.

Last edited:

DiorAranelEluchil

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
I agree with you. That way of climbing on the leaderboard just throws a stain at everyone else's efforts. For some of us points is not to important, and the more pleasure and happiness I get with a well-played map, well-played round, and with good-hard win. But again I am not happy to see that some player on that way presents himself like some excellent player, like other much better players.

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
I think almost every player on the scoreboard has had to fight many close games to get to whatever position they are at on the leaderboard.

To see a player who has had almost no hard fought games, mostly playing against players who don't even show up to contest, attain such a ranking seems to me a besmirchment of the scoring concept.

clarkenfeld

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
Does this account for the long standing CDO record?

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Correct

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
well, if it is the same one who was just banned, then not showing CDO record anymore.
If it was multi acct, that guy must have been very quick with creating dup accounts.

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
no idea, who are u talking about :( sorry

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
no idea, who are u talking about :( sorry

That's because he never had games against actual players on the site like you :)

Only versus AWOLs.

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
That's because he never had games against actual players on the site like you :)

Only versus AWOLs.

Lol...who was this guy almost at the top of the leaderboard that no one can actually say they had played. That tells it's own story.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
I don't know if anyone else has noticed a player climbing the leaderboard and I would put money on that they will be a the top soon and probably go for the highest score record.

It's an interesting strategy that certainly takes a level of motivation and persistence to maintain, inviting new players that are recently registered to the site, not familiar with it and that will typically go awol. It has proven a sound strategy for this player and it's a sure fire way to continually climb the leaderboard with low..very low risk games.

I'm not sure I agree with the strategy, it certainly takes the spirit of the leaderboard away and it seems a very machiavellian. I would almost definitely put it in the category of stealing sweets from unsuspecting children.

I wonder if this has an impact on if the new payers will return to the site?

I take my pleasure, if that's what I would call it? from the fair competition of pitting my wits against other good players as apposed to finding a way around the fair play to win. It could be argued that there is nothing unfair about it but I base this on my understanding of the spirit of fair play. It could also be argued that the player is inviting them to games so they can play and learn from an experienced player?

Each to their own I suppose, this player is certainly not doing anything wrong but I find it interesting and amusing at the same time.

Before I get the 'There is nothing in the rules about this strategy', that is not what this post is about. It's just my opinion and observations of a particular strategy.

I saw him try to break his own record a couple of times recently. I thought it was sad/funny what people do. In some of the games he was losing. He would play a bunch of 2,4, player games and compliment their style and ask if they need help understanding anything. Where is the pleasure in beating players that don't know the proper way to play. He never joined any games regulars were in. Like JC said not breaking any rules, just what was his point?

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
I saw him try to break his own record a couple of times recently. I thought it was sad/funny what people do. In some of the games he was losing. He would play a bunch of 2,4, player games and compliment their style and ask if they need help understanding anything. Where is the pleasure in beating players that don't know the proper way to play. He never joined any games regulars were in. Like JC said not breaking any rules, just what was his point?

He joined one game with fresh players that was apparently set up for a group of friends, but they didn't password protect it. He joined in the last slot, as he always did, so as to avoid playing in games with real opponents. The game began, and the other players asked him to leave. He (correctly) replied that once a game has started, there is no means of withdrawal. All kosher to this point.

But then he said "we can all just skip our turns and the game will void". Well. He did skip attacking first two turns, but didn't actually skip the rounds. The other players did skip as suggested, and became AWOL. Once they went AWOL, he attacked and won the game out immediately.

luiscasanova

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
The Wiki Bar
well, if it is the same one who was just banned, then not showing CDO record anymore.
If it was multi acct, that guy must have been very quick with creating dup accounts.

Who was that? I'm very curious...

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
i believe riskpeter.not positive, but i think most likely person if you look at game histroy

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
I don't even think it's funny as a style of play. It's just depressing - what fun does one have from playing against noobs and AWOLs day out day in? Either he doesn't have any success in life and uses MajCom to compensate or he hasn't understood what life is about. I play for fun - rank is a positive side effect, but the fun is more important...

luiscasanova

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
The Wiki Bar
I don't even think it's funny as a style of play. It's just depressing - what fun does one have from playing against noobs and AWOLs day out day in? Either he doesn't have any success in life and uses MajCom to compensate or he hasn't understood what life is about. I play for fun - rank is a positive side effect, but the fun is more important...

I agree

luiscasanova

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
The Wiki Bar
i believe riskpeter.not positive, but i think most likely person if you look at game histroy

mmm... so pathetic. I play mostly for fun, which is evident looking at my low score. LOL.

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
or he hasn't understood what life is about. .

Maybe we should start a separate thread where the meaning of life is detailed? I think that would be relevant to most, if not all, users.

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Maybe we should start a separate thread where the meaning of life is detailed? I think that would be relevant to most, if not all, users.

Wow that would be an epic thread, I think there is a Monty Python film about the meaning of life. When I say epic though, I think I would avoid it.

Getting back to this thread, it does highlight some of the meaning that different get from this site. I mentioned in one of my blogs about this, the Psychology of risk. I could probably do with writing an updated version now as I have more experience and context from watching players.

https://www.majorcommand.com/blog/psychology-of-risk-game/

I mention something under this heading: Why do some RISK players never make General or even Major. Which I think is relevant to this thread.

If you liked that blog, here is another one I wrote in 2017 about why I play here.

https://www.majorcommand.com/blog/first-risk-game/