• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

World Values Survey

Dreadnought

Awesome Player
How about this for map? Im thinking that linking the different countries with its say 3 closest neighbours in values and having commands according to colours this would make a very interesting map and something completly new for majcom. Ajusting the the links of course for decent gameplay when needed.

I also have to say in proud to live in the far top corner. Just wish we had slightly better climate. Would be interesting if people think there countries are in the "right" spot. I for one can confirm the position of Sweden.

Attachments

• World Values Survey.PNG
    World Values Survey.PNG
    179 KB · Views: 121

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I also have to say in proud to live in the far top corner.
That statement sums up why this should not be made into a map. It comes complete with judgement and a profound sense of superiority.

Dreadnought

Awesome Player
No its says that my values correspond to the placement of the country I was lucky to be born in. It is not saying that other values are better or worse. If that is what you got from that sentence you understood me very very wrong! As I very much understand that my values are based on the circumstances i was brought into, being lucky in lifes lottery to end up in a country that has very few survival issues and therefor in part probably also has little need for religion. Your answer is just confrontational I was just putting out an idea that i thought was fun as its a map idea that acctually could be fun aswell as educational as its based on scientific research not oppinions same as simular idea posted earlier about population or GNP map. But your answer or lack of answer to other post just says please post your ideas so we can ignore them or be rude and feel superior. Well thats the last idea from me to you Sheperd wont bother you again with ideas for maps.

Last edited:

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I guess I am with Shep here as well.

Just because a map could be made, does not mean it should be made.

But I am interested in understanding how or what you would do to make this map work?
What is the point of this map from a game standpoint?
How would you setup the region/command/bonus setup?

Plus since it is really more of a chart than a map I feel for it less.

But please answer the questions above and I will be interested to see your initial vision

Dreadnought

Awesome Player
I was thinking of linking the countries with its value closest neighbours maybe 3-5 connections, number of connections depending on whats necessary to give the map decent gameplay. In my mind I see this map looking like a network map with similar lines as the nukes map. Number of countries and the big size of the commands would probably make it a really nice map for the bigger team games as the teams try and go for a command. The little waste space makes it ideal for the massive map with tons of regions/counties where even luxenburg and andorra can be part. Maybe a map welcoming all 244 countries?

Could also use the wvs culture map as base or combine the two for more commands and interesting overlaping .

Attachments

• wvs-culture-map.jpg
    wvs-culture-map.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I guess I still need to see a draft, you still are not showing connections or troop containers for those 244 countries.
I still am having some issues seeing what you want and how this will work

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
one problem also posed here, with 244 countries, is that you had proposed big commands, which would probably be impossible to hold. Even if a "team" consisting 5 players managed to hold it, it would still need one person to actually possess the whole command to actually have the bonus.

Or just draft on the chart as is (with only the countries presented, which might still have a chance of having "holdable" commands)

Last edited:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
"scientific research" about values. Kind of an oxymoron. Just saying.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
No its says that my values correspond to the placement of the country I was lucky to be born in. It is not saying that other values are better or worse.
I didn't mean to offend, Dreadnought. But I wonder if you would feel the same way about this graphic if the X and Y axes were flipped, and your country was down in the bottom left corner? The alignment of the axes suggests bias; traditional and survivalist values are literally shown as negative, while self-expression and secular-rational (itself a loaded term) are positive. It instantly suggests that if if you live in Zimbabwe you live in a worse place than Norway, because it rates so low on the point scale.

You say that you were "lucky in lifes lottery to end up in a country that has very few survival issues and therefor in part probably also has little need for religion." So, if I was born in Pakistan I'm unlucky? You may feel this way, and there may be some quantitative means of determining which humans are more and less fortunate to live where they do, but I don't accept that this chart is free from opinion, as you suggest. And I'm not sure that this website wants to get into this particular debate.

This chart is an interesting study, and I'd be willing to discuss it with people - especially people from the countries deemed less "lucky" by their placement on this chart - but I don't think it's good material for a map.

Dreadnought

Awesome Player
This is something like i pictured it in my mind. lines of attac correspond to:

1. Closest neighbouring country in graph.
2. Closest neighbour in Secular vs Traditional values.
3. Closest neighbour in Survival values vs Self-Expression values

Ex. USA is scores similar on secular vs traditional values as Malaysia. It has a similar score on Survival values vs Self-Expression values as Australia and its closest cultural neighbour is Canada with Ireland coming very close.

(Please dont read score as me saying one score is better than another.)

Alterations made so as lines do not to go thru one region to get to an even closer region in values. Of course gameplay alterations have to be made to make it a good map for playing.

If mapmakers think the idea sucks so be it, im just putting out an idea that i thought was fun.

Btw I would not care if mapmakers flipped the chart if that makes it less controversial in certain peoples minds, but in my mind thats like saying lets flip world map over and push Europe to one side so someone else can have center top spot as the present world map might offend Australia or Argentina, not to mention the poor penguins in Antarctica.

P.S. Dots could be the troop containers.

Attachments

• wvs-culture-map-paint.jpg
    wvs-culture-map-paint.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Problem is even if we did do the map this way, the containers are much bigger than those dots.
Plus the names are hidden by some of the lines and containers.

What you need to do is
1)make a 700x700 pixel image in photoshop (or equivalent)
2) Copy a troop container from Classic Massive
3) Copy that container for every region you want to represent.
4) Add teh names for what you want and locate them.
5) Figure out how to arrage and add highlights to each region (what and how big will each highlight be (maybe similar setup to NUKES)
6) Post that.

That will give a better idea of how and if thsi will work.
But....I still say work on something else. Tish chart is just not very appealing to me as a game board.

WM

Dreadnought

Awesome Player
Ok i hear you and and wont waste time on an idea that most likely wont be made. If I unintentionally offended anyone by putting out this idea I am sorry, that was certainly not my intention and I can only hope people understand that.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
No offense taken Dreadnought. My concern was more the message it might send by making this into a map. There are other potential maps that are also taboo, like the Holy Land.