• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Who to attack?

MrTotoro1

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Hi, so I have been wondering about this strategic question:

EDIT: The question applies to a flat rate game.

When you and another player are both the strongest (in terms of troops and troops due) on the map (similar troop/troops due counts, maybe they're a little bit stronger than you still), is it best to attack them, or is it wiser to attack smaller enemies to up your troops due?

But, when choosing to attack smaller enemies I might be upping my troops due but depending how many troops I had to kill in my expansion I'll reduce my troop count considerably long and fall behind the other strong player, and it will take dozens of rounds for the troops due gained to compensate the initial troop loss.

If you attack the other strong player instead, making them weaker, you'll make yourself the main target of the game.

So what's the best strategy in such a situation?

Cheers,
Totoro

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
You definitely don't want to do anything that will take you 'dozens of rounds' to make up for. I'd try to slowly, incrementally, weaken the other strong player while building up my borders, make myself uninviting to attack. Unless, of course, you can eliminate another player, that's always worth doing.

MrTotoro1

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
You definitely don't want to do anything that will take you 'dozens of rounds' to make up for.

It happens quite often though that you take a command from someone who had it occupied by more than just a couple troops, but it still ends up to be a good decision in the long run. If the command is worth 4 troops per round after 10 rounds you already have 40 plus at least 1 each round addtionally for the extra regions held.
With flat, eliminating only gives you 6 bonus troops if they have enough cards though.

Thanks for you input!

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The other benefit of taking out an opponent in Flat Rate is they don't hit you anymore with their deploy & sets.

Note: I've learned that my desire for action is ill suited for 4p plus Flat Rate singles games, and lose most after bowing out.

Last edited: