• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

What happened with real time risk ?

TylerDurden85

Awesome Player
I've been playing online risk like games since 2009 but i first discovered MC some 7 years ago.
Since then i joined and left few times but never until now i played casual risk and logged daily.
Only way to play many games and play daily is casual risk, obviusly, but the real thrill is in real time.
You play that 1 game and you play it now, you are more engaged, follow every turn, reacting in real time.
In casual games you seek for 2-4 games in 10 to position yourself and try to win…
other 6-8 you play passive, barely doing anything just waiting to be whatever as you have 2-4 games you are interested in.
in real time, game is completely different, more agressive and most importanly stake is much bigger.
You bet 4, 6 or even more consecutive hours to win… in casual you bet few minutes every few days on a move in a single game... Effective time spent on 1 real time game is same as for 10 or more or much more casual games, and it is only you who play, no need to watch and wait for opponents… bigger the effort, tastier the win..
That is partly why i never played casual risk here up until now..
The other part is that i didn't had to..
Every time i wanted i played few 5-8p games in a day… for weekends i knew to simultaneously play 2 games at a same time.. games were filled..
now i can barely start a 4p clasic game once in few days.
what happened ?
I'm sure there must still be other players who love RT as much as i do and would love to do a game or 2 a week.
for weekends at least..
I believe many members here, especialy old ones, lost their interest in real time because of new members who play slow, miss turns and eventually quit or even worse go random kamikaze on someone and so on...
Isn't there something we can do ?
Like a password well known to regular members… Or to agree on certain time in a week.. Or both..
If there are 6 to 12 members who wants to play RT, and i Know there are, lets all agree of time and day to meet..

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter
I believe that the biggest issue here is that we all come from different timezones...
Next to that, we do not all have the same working time/free time. So it is really hard to compile a bench of players together that can stay online some time to play RT.

Anyhow, it is true that before I used to start a game, and I enjoyed a 1v1 from time to time...
I should try more often :)

Upvote 0

clarkenfeld

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
Hi Tyler, lots of sympathy with your point! I started 100% in RT but rare these days - partly because i find casual games more satisfying in teams, partly because in RT there are loads (or were at least) of unpleasant players who would be petty or quit or play so badly that it was impossible to win (because they'd keep setting up other poor players to win).

But if there was a way to come to some kind of arrangement for some RT sessions, I'd be up for the once every couple of weeks or so.

Upvote 0

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
Yes, I think having a set time is a great idea Tyler! If everyone knew that if you want an RT game you should join at, for instance, either 6pm GMT or 10pm GMT daily then there would be far more chance of getting games.

First rule of RT club: talk about RT club!

Upvote 0

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
I've played hundreds more RT games than I've played in TOTAL here, at Dominating 12. The gameplay for RT over there is, sorry to be the messenger, far superior than here. And there's always games going on.

At D12, each turn is 3 mins long. You get 5 mins (?) added to your time if you eliminate another player mid-way through your turn. You also have 2 optional "add time" buttons, giving you 2 extra minutes on any turn you like. What this means is you have time to finish your turn. I'm quite sure over here, it's a 3 min turn, period. This is despite Flash being slow, and 3 mins being not nearly enough time to reliably kill off another player, even if you are playing efficiently. No one wants to eliminate 90% of another player, then run out of time, leaving him to be killed off by the next guy to play. That's what happens here and it makes RT here unplayable.

RT gameplay at MC can be improved immensely if it the site simply allows more time when a player eliminates another player mid-turn.

Upvote 0

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
I've played hundreds more RT games than I've played in TOTAL here, at Dominating 12. The gameplay for RT over there is, sorry to be the messenger, far superior than here. And there's always games going on.

At D12, each turn is 3 mins long. You get 5 mins (?) added to your time if you eliminate another player mid-way through your turn. You also have 2 optional "add time" buttons, giving you 2 extra minutes on any turn you like. What this means is you have time to finish your turn. I'm quite sure over here, it's a 3 min turn, period. This is despite Flash being slow, and 3 mins being not nearly enough time to reliably kill off another player, even if you are playing efficiently. No one wants to eliminate 90% of another player, then run out of time, leaving him to be killed off by the next guy to play. That's what happens here and it makes RT here unplayable.

RT gameplay at MC can be improved immensely if it the site simply allows more time when a player eliminates another player mid-turn.

:dito: I think that's a great idea! Adding extra time after an elimination in RT :cheers:

Upvote 0

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
There is an option for 5 minute turns. Most people don't use it because with 4 players*8 rounds, you're talking an extra hour.

I do like the idea of selectively adding time.

I dunno about "unplayable".....played over 5k real time games myself. Mr. Clarkenfield has thousands under his belt also.

Upvote 0

samps

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Fixed Force Club
Generals
T.O's.
I play quite a lot of RT on Majcom, the issue is I have no choice to restrict the players I play with simply because there are so many that as soon as they think they may lose just leave the game and go AWOL. I've had games where other players actually brag about going AWOL so I have to sit through their turn time in the chat before leaving!

Some of the best 12d players are in the RT lounge I think and when you do get a gg it really is a gg. Personally I think RT games should have 1 turn AWOL rules to minimise the waiting poor form players can inflict on the honourable amongst us.

Upvote 0

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
There is an option for 5 minute turns. Most people don't use it because with 4 players*8 rounds, you're talking an extra hour.

I do like the idea of selectively adding time.

I dunno about "unplayable".....played over 5k real time games myself. Mr. Clarkenfield has thousands under his belt also.

I imagine RT is playable here 1v1. But in multiplayer? You'd prefer playing at D12.

Upvote 0

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
Let me elaborate.

The point of a 3 min max is to encourage everyone to play their turns efficiently. I'd say if RT was 2 min/turn but +5 mins mid-turn for every player you eliminate, that someone playing THAT game would be playing more efficiently than another player taking 3 mins for every turn they play. The point of 3 mins isn't to give everyone 3 mins for each turn, but to encourage efficiency.

I'd say someone who eliminates 2 players in one turn, while taking 7 mins to do that, is playing more efficiently than someone taking 3mins to do a standard single tert conquer.

The point in having time added is so that people can have enough time to play their turn. Mid-turn, giving them time to think about the new board situation (in an elimination scenario), I think is ideal. In a 3min flat scenario, this isn't enough time, and certainly not enough for a multi-player chain kill.

My issue with having no time added applies to multiplayer and not 1v1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nanabush

Awesome Player
having a dedicated discord server would help with setting up some live games

i have been searching for a place to play with live games since pogo ill check out Dominating 12 best one so far i found is the steam version

Upvote 0