• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

What do you want to see in a map?

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
Umm. Is there a place on this site for unsolicited map ideas? I'd like to suggest a large concept map that tries as much as possible to eliminate geographical strong and weak areas to make it as "even" as possible. I'm thinking either the Milky Way or the universe as the theme.

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Umm. Is there a place on this site for unsolicited map ideas? I'd like to suggest a large concept map that tries as much as possible to eliminate geographical strong and weak areas to make it as "even" as possible. I'm thinking either the Milky Way or the universe as the theme.

There is a map called Land Rush available in Beta. Has hundreds of territories. Bonuses are available, but not in the nature of commands. I would say the drop plays little factor in success.

(Silver or Gold membership required to play Beta games).

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
I haven't seen Landrush. But what I was envisioning was something along these lines:

1. A large circular map that was basically as geographically neutral as possible. So no areas that are stronger or weaker than anywhere else (which, ironically, is exactly what the original Risk wasn't - re: Australia), although the center of the map would be characteristically different than the periphery.
2. Something in the form of a large honeycomb-like pattern. Or, a spider-web. Or a neural-network. There would be some "clusters" of territories that would give continent bonuses, and the intervening territories could give smaller bonuses.
3. The grid would be radially/rotationaly symmetric.
4. An onion-like structure could also work (theme Solar System?) where parts of concentric circles would form continents.
5. To reduce the amount of "neutral" territories, I think the number of territories would be optimized if it was a multiple of 24. e.g. 144 is divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12 and 24. 168 is divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12 and 24.

Anyways - I'm sure you guys get a lot of ideas, but if this sounds like fun to anyone, I'd be happy to develop it.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Sounds like what Virtuoso wants is "The Colony".
Virtuoso, we could give you access to the Map Studios if you were a paying member.

There are several threads there, a partially completed map authored by Badorties, the founder of MajCom. But there were a few issues that couldn't be overcome with the current game engine. Maybe with the new game engine it could make a comeback. I loved the concept.

Last edited:

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
I'm really trying to control how many games I'm playing, and if I got a paying membership, it would be too enticing to get into more games than I want to play (in addition to not wanting to commit too much time, not being at work has reduced my access to internet/browsers that are compatible with MC, which is a problem).

But, I think tourneys are fun, so when I see a tourney that intrigues me, I'll probably use that opportunity to get a paying subscription. So I'm keeping my eye on that.

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
Ok so I have a paying membership. It's occurred to me that there's some people here who have been developing maps for a long time now, and I imagine they've gotten very good at it, so I'm not sure if there's really anything I'd be able to contribute as a novice, but if you'd like to welcome me to the map-makers forum, then I certainly would accept.

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
you're welcome, virtuoso!

Every map that appears on MajCom starts off as an idea, or maybe a design essay, and then it evolves thorugh lots of constructive criticism until it is reeleased. If you have an idea and maybe also the graphical skills to provide a preview, that might just as well end up as a map as any :)

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
OK - I accepted the invite to the AADOMM. (Thank you) That said, for me to be part of an "art" clan is quite the biggest irony, and really stretching the definition of the word "art". I'll only remain a part of it if I feel I have something to contribute.

I've read the above threads (one more to go, the long one that I needed AADOMM membership to see). I'll start a thread (as suggested above) on my thoughts behind a new proposed map, as well as my comments on the Colony, once I have read that entire thread.

I should probably have another look at Landrush as well, that Brian tried showing to me in a PM.

Sledge

Awesome Player
It would be cool if players could create their own maps
upload and image, draw the borders, highlight the commands.
I am from the tech industry and so much can be created now, compared to when this site was first made.
You could even create a campaign to fundraise to have us all chip in. The experience of being able to make your own map would be epic

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
You can certainly do MOST of that now. Can't currently upload to the game engine, but if you want to create and submit a map, you certainly can do that. Others have, most recently Lulzim with the Barbarossa Map. If you have an idea that you want to show us, please do! NewSheriffInTown or MrMarcos will have to do some of the uploading/connection making, etc, but you are free to do most of it.

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
hi, some new maps in process?