• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

USSR: Trouble From Within

thenoahw

Awesome Player
When I first started looking into a USA Massive map someone suggested a Massive map from somewhere else like the USSR. So I threw one together in paint. Please don't judge the poor quality, I did this in about 15 minutes just to illustrate what came to mind

Attachments

• USSR Breakdown.png
    USSR Breakdown.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 104
  • USSR Breakdown commands.png
    USSR Breakdown commands.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 98
  • USSR Breakdown impassibles rough.png
    USSR Breakdown impassibles rough.png
    167 KB · Views: 86

LordAdef

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Wow, I like it. But it seems the Map department is on Hollydays waiting for the recode to be implemented

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
One potential problem I see with this map is the divisions of the regions. The Western side of the map is intensely denser than the eastern side - So we would either need to break down the eastern side into smaller regions and commands, or to group the western side a bit better.

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Another alternative, which would be closer to reality, would be to make the Eastern half appear smaller through some kind of perspectivity - tilting the whole map te the right, so to speak

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
One potential problem I see with this map is the divisions of the regions. The Western side of the map is intensely denser than the eastern side - So we would either need to break down the eastern side into smaller regions and commands, or to group the western side a bit better.

Definitely. thenoahw, you need to remember that there needs to be room for troop containers (and names) to appear. I'd suggest grouping a lot of the tiny terts on the east side of the map together.

How many terts are there on your first draft?

Also, as Adef said, there's a bit of a 'hold' on publishing new maps until the recoding is done, but that doesn't mean that it can't be worked on. Getting a map ready to the point of coding it is still worthwhile, if the cartographers agree that it's something that they're interested in working on. (The building of the PNG's for a map is tedious and labor intensive.)

Before anything else is done, we'd need Shep to weigh in with his thoughts.

thenoahw

Awesome Player
Ok, I will change some things. thanks for the feedback

thenoahw

Awesome Player
Aw man, I just realized that in none of those maps did I close in the eastern part. I thought I had. I never intended Poland and the other eastern Euro nations to be divided so much. I will go and clean those up a bit

thenoahw

Awesome Player
These are more of what I had in mind. And I agree that it would look a lot nicer if the perspective made the west larger and the east smaller. Thoughts?

Attachments

• USSR Breakdown M2.png
    USSR Breakdown M2.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 73
  • USSR Breakdown M2 with indicators.png
    USSR Breakdown M2 with indicators.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 69
  • USSR Breakdown M2 Commands.png
    USSR Breakdown M2 Commands.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Those look nice!

However, you've taken some dangerous liberties with your regions:

1. "East Russia" should probably have been "Western Russia"
2. Finland was never part of the USSR or the Communist Bloc, and what you call Finland here is larger than the real Finland (which is only the two westernmost terts). Either, you leave Finland out altogehter, or you'll have to find a different title for the map.
3. A similar problem appears with your Eastern Bloc. It includes territories that were part of the Soviet Union (Ukraine, Belarus and the Baltic States) as well as territories that were independent states within the Communist Bloc (Poland, Romania, Hungary). This choice is somewhat random, and you either have to take out the independent units or somehow justify their inclusion in the title.

I can't really be of much help, since I'm swamped in work and go on holiday next week, but I'll happily conitnue with helping develop the map once I'm back mid-August :)

dudeiamgood

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
It looks to me like if you try to be politically correct, some regions will be inherently smaller than others. Why not, for some of those countries, do a sort of "breakaway command" (see British Isles and Conflict Africa for examples of this). I'm not sure which way is better.

thenoahw

Awesome Player
Liberties

1. "East Russia" should probably have been "Western Russia" That was a typo on my part, my bad
2. Finland was never part of the USSR or the Communist Bloc, and what you call Finland here is larger than the real Finland (which is only the two westernmost terts). I wanted to include it and I did realize I was making it larger than life. I would have no problem leaving it out altogether
3. A similar problem appears with your Eastern Bloc. It includes territories that were part of the Soviet Union (Ukraine, Belarus and the Baltic States) as well as territories that were independent states within the Communist Bloc (Poland, Romania, Hungary). This choice is somewhat random, and you either have to take out the independent units or somehow justify their inclusion in the title. I did play with the eastern Europe a little but I ran into problems with geographical barriers and ending up with two micro commands with only a couple of terts in each ( east bloc and West USSR)

thenoahw

Awesome Player
It looks to me like if you try to be politically correct, some regions will be inherently smaller than others. Why not, for some of those countries, do a sort of "breakaway command" (see British Isles and Conflict Africa for examples of this). I'm not sure which way is better.

I thought aboutt hat but the map was so log already that I didnt know where to place one or how to do so