• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Unlimited Border Games

Thunderous

Ambassador
Awesome Player
In the games t create game screen, you should disable "border" and "unlimited reinforcements" being selected together. its a pain, especially on the bigger maps when you are reinforcing one side of your empire to the other, and out can only move one territory at a time, when its much easier with "path" and is exactle the same, just less time consuming

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
You're right. Unlimited Border is also called Path.

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
at the same time, unlimited border makes your opponent work harder so there is some use to it...but mostly its no different than work other than the fact that it takes longer to make the turn.

I tried out a few on classic massive....you really have to want to win to make a good turn...lol

In fact, I believe the OP is referring to one of those games specifically.

Its like fighting a land war in russia in the winter. If you dont want to put your time in and work hard, youre gonna lose.

It is a silly setting though in the end. Its only real use is to take advantage of those who likely will play a lazy game.

The only real way it could work, is if you could only move troops once, but the coding on that would be impossible, and not really worth it I wouldnt think. It would indeed be a complex setting, but probably near impossible to code.

It would most resemble real warfare though, where troops could only move one click at a time, but where all troops could move per turn. Chained is unrealistic in a war setting because they fly across the world as if beamed there, whereas border simulates more realistic fortification.

Essentially the setting is a good setting, its just that the game parameters bypass its goal, by reforting previously forted armies, transforming the setting into path.

If you could lock forted armies, it would indeed be an incredible setting, and possibly from that standpoint, the most realistic and one that requires the most strategy of all.

Last edited:

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
It depends on what point in history you picture yourself fighting a war. Indeed it would be ridiculous for a Roman legion to suddenly reinforce halfway around the world, but it's not out of the question for a fleet of C-5's to deploy a modern battalion anywhere in the world. Come to think of it, you probably wouldn't find a Roman legion in South America either, haha. I agree that complex troop movement option would be interesting, possibly it could be integrated into a future map, "Roman Empire" or some such. I actually think I've played a small domination game somewhere that had similar troop movement, I'll see if I can find it.....

coolname

Awesome Player
at the same time, unlimited border makes your opponent work harder so there is some use to it...but mostly its no different than work other than the fact that it takes longer to make the turn.

The difference between [path] and [border & unlimited] would not be trivial in a 2 minute game. Who'd have thought dexterity was a necessary skill on MajorCommand?

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The difference between [path] and [border & unlimited] would not be trivial in a 2 minute game. Who'd have thought dexterity was a necessary skill on MajorCommand?

that is indeed an excellent point....and ive been using dexterity to win since the beginning... some settings are practically more difficult than freestyle itself here...given some of the options, maps and....this is not a complaint....server speed.

mapguy

Awesome Player
In team games there IS a difference between unlimited border and unlimited path. In border you can only move troops to where you are connected to your teammate. But in path, you can move through your teammates territs.

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
In team games there IS a difference between unlimited border and unlimited path. In border you can only move troops to where you are connected to your teammate. But in path, you can move through your teammates territs.

another even better point.

Im really glad too... I liked the idea of the setting in the first place.... im glad there are practical reasons to keep it.