• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

TRON discussion... because we must

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Some friends of mine and I decided we needed to watch the original TRON before the sequel comes out. After all, any film that has spawned an Oscar Awards debate over computer generated special effects, a short-lived Disneyland ride, a $170 million sequel, and my favorite childhood arcade game had to be worth a revisit. But scoring a copy is not as easy as you might think.

I started with NetFlix, from whom I rented it three years ago or so, but they no longer offer it... instead of "Adding" it to your queue you can "Save" it to the place where all lost movies go. (My Saved column currently includes, among other things the hard to find original "Sleuth" with Michael Caine and Laurence Olivier, and another film that Disney has swept under the rug, the racially insensitive "Song of the South.")

Maybe I can buy one? Nope. Despite the millions that Disney has poured into marketing for TRON: Legacy - inlcuding $25 million to develop a new video game - they've not provided copies of the original film to the few outlets that still actually sell videos around here. BestBuy? Nope. Book stores? Nope.

Called the mom and pop video store down the street only to find they closed their doors last month. Now they make sandwiches.

How about the only video store chain left in Northern California: Blockbuster Video?

"Yes, we have a copy. But it's been out since before Halloween." While upset that somebody has deprived me of TRON, it was at least nice to know that somewhere in town there is a keeper of the fire. Unless that copy was rented by a Disney mole.

A glimmer of hope came from the Blockbuster web site, where you can search all store inventories. The 8th store on my list has a copy. A call confirmed this, and an hour later the Holy Grail of computer animation was in my hand.

Five of us gathered before the flat screen last night with a box of Candy Cane Joe-Joes. About 20 minutes in when the eight-year-old in our midst asked if we could stop this and watch "Cars" instead, it became clear that Disney has learned a lot about its market in the past 28 years. It would seem that not allowing us to see the original before we see the sequel is part of the marketing campaign.

tron21.jpg

Last edited:

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
jeez man, that's a lot of work. i would have just downloaded it.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Funny story. It seems the tron mythos is largely built on hype. I can't remember the original, nor do i remember it being a big deal. I think the big winners are the original owners of the tron IP.

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
I think I found a copy for sale online at about $180 for ya Shep, lol

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
i could just keep the blockbuster copy for $21, but instead I gave it to my brother to burn some copies. Stocking stuffers!

I don't think the TRON mythos is based on hype as much as it is on nostalgia. I went and saw the original at the theaters as a kid, and at the time I thought it was awesome. Not quite Star Wars awesome, but definitely Battlestar Galactica awesome. The original BSG is just as bad as (or worse than) TRON in terms of writing, acting, and production value, yet it worked the second time around. In both cases watching the original isn't necessary for enjoying the update - in fact going back to watch the original might leave a bad taste in your mouth.

battlestar_galactica.jpg

Valdus

Awesome Player
Ye gods I adored the updated Battlestar, a shame Caprica was killed

Valdus

Awesome Player
And downloaded Tron, for the time AMAZING!

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
saw the new tron film this afternoon... not nearly as bad as I feared it was going to be. In a way it's very true to the original: breathtaking visual effects, simplistic good vs.evil Disney plot, bad science that makes you want to yell at the screen, weak dialogue, and an ending that leaves you feeling kinda empty.

Best moment: Daft Punk as virtual world club DJs.

The director's next gig is to remake Disney's The Black Hole, and there's a scene early on with an old Black Hole poster in the kid's bedroom. Even as an eight year old the original came off as a train wreck of a sci-fi film.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
haven't seen the first one, am not interested in the second.. so whatever ya'll say, is i guess what i'll go by. :p

yeti

Awesome Player
Shep - I've got a copy on VHS (PAL) if you would like it?!

It's a personal albatross of hatred...

My parents had Betamax... Some relative bought us TRON - on VHS...

7 years it took for the Betamax to finally die...

7 years TRON sat there - mocking me... mocking me with it's very presence...

7 years later I watched it...

7 years later I cried.

C.